Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Spring Conditions with novice kids - Chatel :|

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all

In trying to find a resort/accommodation that would keep non-skiing hubby happy through the very limited availability ex-Ireland this year, we ended up with Chatel and are arriving Saturday. I twisted his arm and took my chances and now have to figure out a way to make the best of it all.

I'm not all that brilliant in Spring conditions myself but am more worried about my 3 novice children. I believe we have to navigate 2 ski busses to Pre Le Joux for the kids' morning lessons due to location of the apartments. However, I still want them to fall in love with skiing as my grand plan is to turn one of the kids into a real snow bunny so I can bring them on proper trips Very Happy

So, lovely snowheads, any tips on how to make the best out of the less than ideal? How to make skiing slush less hard? Any particular tips for runs/spots in the area that might be better than the rest for me to teach them a little myself?

Thanks for the ear Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JulieL, why not book a private lesson for yourself?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Should be a no-brainer.
Slush is tons easier and super fun on a snowboard.
I would not hesitate with this.
Also for complete beginners you can get normally have lessons on the SC Plateau so you don't need busses.
There's a picnic room up there and a few bar / restos on the plateau.
Probably run into you at some point as I'll be up that way over the weekend Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@WindOfChange, thank you! The lessons from SC move to Pre le Jeux this weekend, so I just missed them. Hadn't thought about snowboarding! Thanks for the suggestion.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JulieL, Yeah, sorry in peak season ESF do lessons in both spots, but as you say, late season its only PLJ.
If you have a car, then driving and parking at PLJ is easier and quicker than the busses, plus you can take a change of clothes, food drink etc and leave it in the car so it is accessible if the kids need it.
They're more likely to fall in love with boarding as the shoes are comfy, they wont be like mum and dad, there's only one thing to carry on the bus and they will be amazed at how much they can do by the end of one week.
Normally after 3/4 days of boarding you can do blue runs, so by the end of the week they'll probably be able to board back to Chatel from PLJ Smile
I do ski too, but when its slushy always board.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Done a couple of weeks skiing at Chatel. Long time ago - but fond memories. Had the feel of a French village which also had fine skiing attached to it. Hope you have fun.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@WindOfChange, don't beginner boarders spend a lot of time falling over, sitting down, kneeling down? I would have thought that was a recipe for misery in slush (unless your ski gear is properly waterproof, which often isn't the case). Beginner skiers fall over a lot too, but maybe not quite so much.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mgrolf, You're right when learning, it's more comfortable to listen to the instructor while kneeling or sitting.
And it depends on how wet the slush is, but everything else is so much better - falling on slush does not hurt as much as hard pistes ( and you do fall a lot ), boarding in heavy snow is easier than skiing as a beginner, and with decent salopettes / ski pants it's not normally too bad, but I wouldn't do it in jeans and gaiters like an 80s skier.

Last weekend the snow was soft and warm, I boarded 6 hours each day, with plenty of time sat right in the middle of pistes, kneeling in the snow hiding under rollers, scraping all the snow off the steep bits of the hill to ruin it for skiers, hooning around on the flat bits, scraping my board on any ice I could find behind skiers on tracks, laying in the snow on the landings of jumps, riding around with my back to everyone so I cant see them, turning unexpectedly across the slope, pulling random 360s in front of people without looking, jumping randomly into the piste from the side without looking, falling over in front of people, sat blocking the exits of chairlifts while I slowly did up my bindings (have I missed anything ?), and despite all of this completely normal boardie stuff, my back bottom was still pretty dry despite being protected by some Mike Ashley cheapo Nevica ski pants.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Used to ski with my kids at Easter a lot, to be honest young kids never seemed bothered by the slush, they skied rather than boarded.
When they are young they are probably best stopping a little early and playing anyway.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@WindOfChange, Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
WindOfChange wrote:
If you have a car, then driving and parking at PLJ is easier and quicker than the busses, plus you can take a change of clothes, food drink etc and leave it in the car so it is accessible if the kids need it.

I'm assuming you're flying in to Geneva? People have been saying GVA car hire prices have really dropped in the last couple of weeks so might be worth looking at that option - if you do and are on a package trip just make sure to remember to meet your tour rep. at the airport and let them know you're NOT taking the transfer bus, rather than have them waiting/hunting for you. Also opens up the option of shopping out-of-resort if self catering and gives your non-skiing hubby something to do/a way to be involved dropping you off and picking you up.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@WindOfChange, I hate the noise of board scraping on ice, even when sneaking up on skiers....so I now get around that by wearing headphones with loud music wink

Slush is only second to powder for a boarder, and it's possibly easier to ride. The only concern I'd have with beginners is the morning runs could be hard with temps dropping briefly on the weekend.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
WindOfChange wrote:
@mgrolf, (have I missed anything ?)

Nope, sounds like you've got it all covered there once you add @polo's headphones.
Leaving all the stereotypes aside though, I don't think beginner kids will give two hoots whether it's slushy or not irrespective of the number of planks. Boarding may be a good option for them (or some of them), for sure, especially if they're expressing an interest.

Right, I'm off to overtake as many boarders as I can, as close as possible on their blind sides, before marshaling a group of skiers to stand blocking the whole piste just where it goes from being steep to narrow and flat for ages. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was thinking of starting a second thread on Slush / Spring Conditions as last evening I was having a chat with a family out here for the week, and the three girls (17-24) all very good skiers, were saying how conditions were a little demanding but it wasn't stopping them skiing and they ski till the lifts close, though they don't get out and do the groomers via first lifts.

I suggested then that they exchange their piste skis for some fat skis / twin-tips and then they can really enjoy the slush, and they hadn't thought about whether they could do that, if it was possible etc
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mgrolf, Smile Smile Smile
And you're right - kids don't give a monkeys if its slushy, although our kids did both, they preferred puddle skipping on their boards as the bow wave meant they didn't get too wet Smile
ski holidays
I would support the idea of getting a car - two busses to and fro every day is a real joy killer. I'd let the kids choose which to do. And if you don't want to ski all the hours God made, there'll be more time to sit on a sunny terrace with your husband and a cold beer.
snow report
T Bar wrote:
Used to ski with my kids at Easter a lot, to be honest young kids never seemed bothered by the slush, they skied rather than boarded.

This ^^

Same experience with mine. Although mine boarded (especially older one boarded a bit but not because of slush).
snow conditions
Hi all. Thanks a million for all the advice. So far so good. You were all 100% spot on about the kids not noticing the slush. They are getting on great in lessons and it's working out fine really.

That said, it's now REALLY warm. 22 degrees today at lunchtime.

Any PDS vets who can recommend the best of the runs accessable from Chatel in this kinda weather?
ski holidays
@JulieL, If you're going to PLJ, then runs around Combes, Cornebois, Echo Alpin, Chaux des Roses, Rochassons all good. The bottom of Linga was OK on Sunday (when I was last out), but up around Cornebois was better such as Blattins or La Perdrix Blanche
In Super Chatel, the plateau drags are ok, but Morclan is unlikely to be a barrel of laughs.
ski holidays
my daughter (4 and 1/2 years old) is more happy with slushy snow as with this iced hard packed during mid Dec till Mid Feb.
and she didnt gave a try for snowboard until now...only skiing...
is a little bit tricky on flat areas , but in such case the "papa" is always there to give a little push...not perfect for me with a snowboard, but sometimes lifes sucks
Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy