Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carrying skis with a panoramic roof

Poster: A snowHead
Previously we had a magnetic ski carrier. Sadly that option isn’t going to work with our new car - Landrover Discovery Sport.

I’m looking at buying this combo. Any thoughts?

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/winter-and-water-sports-carriers/ski-racks/thule-snowpack-extender-_-732500r

Thule SnowPack M 7324 Black ski carrier - 160€

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/winter-and-water-sports-carriers/ski-racks/thule-snowpack-l-_-732607

Thule WingBar Evo roof rack system aluminium
Thule Wingbar Evo 135 | 711400
Thule Clamp Evo | 710500
Kit 145213

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/roof-rack/car-roof-racks/thule-wingbar-evo-_-711xxx?selectedcar=make%3A8af71645-774f-4b01-9ff5-9951537d861d%7CLAND%2520ROVER%2Cyear%3A2021%7C2021%2Cmodel%3Aedd54c9e-a96c-429e-a5ec-1d408a3c916a%7CDiscovery%2520Sport%25205-dr%2520SUV%25202015-%2Croof%3A9d941399-ed91-4055-9c13-3c8c9d43a7f8%7Cwith%2520Normal%2520Roof#
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Even on shortish trips on winter roads my truck changes colour with all the salt/sand - what does that do to skis/bindings?
Thule do some pretty nice roof boxes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agree re just putting a roofbox on. We have a pano roof and the rails and box work just fine.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How many people are you moving? <5 then just use the through-load capacity and bring the skis inside the car. Added benefit of saving you quite a bit in fuel as you don't have a roofbox to push along.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have used the Snowpack Extender with the Wingbar Edge on my previous and current car. We only use the Snowpack in resort or local trips under 40km away. If we are doing any longer trip on the motorway then we would use the roofbox as it’s more economical, keeps everything clean and doesn’t make that much noise.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We have 4 in the car and I’m worried about comfort on the trip down.

Plus I thought it would be easier not having to handle wet skis in resort.

We probably only have two trips left with kids in the car so a roof box might be overkill.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've wondered about the punishment the skis must take up there on the roof, but I've never heard of any consequences like "they didn't release since they were corroded". I put 'em inside to remove all doubt; then I can still use the sunroof.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have had Thule roof bars and a suitable footpack on 3 cars now used with a roofbox (borrowed) for a few walking trips no with problems. for my planned trip to the alps I plan to place the skis in a sporttube and tie the sportube to the roofbars security will be via a python lock. I find the sportube a pain if it is in the car for airport trips.
With regard to fuel economy my old Avensis (Diesel) did 45 mpg on a 1500 mile trip to the Highlands 4 up with a roofbox and 43 mpg in normal use sans roofbars and box.
Do not underestimate how difficult it is to store a roofbox when not in use, they will not go through most loft openings.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LavaLaura wrote:

We probably only have two trips left with kids in the car so a roof box might be overkill.

Its a decent sized vehicle so down the middle and through the skihatch (or folded middle seat) would be fine. You can probably even buy a vehicle specific ski bag to deal with all the melting snow.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
LavaLaura wrote:

why not rent one
https://roofbox2hire.com/

I have used my roofbox for the past 6 years and think they are great ...It is amazing how much ..cr*p they take and they dont flap about like the ski bags did when on the roof ...but remember as you have a Disco that you might need a portable ladder to reach!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

own the middle and through the skihatch (or folded middle seat) would be fine. You can probably even buy a vehicle specific ski bag to deal with all the melting snow.

This is what we do and we've got a Golf - we specifically hunted down smaller cars with 40/20/40 split rear seats (about 3 on the market BMW 2 series, Golf, Seat).

I use an old £20 snowboard bag for skis and board run down the centre (3 pair skis, 2 boards) Layer boots in the bottom of the boot, bags on top. If you're running out of room, you're probably taking too much.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DaveD wrote:
LavaLaura wrote:

why not rent one
https://roofbox2hire.com/

I have used my roofbox for the past 6 years and think they are great ...It is amazing how much ..cr*p they take and they dont flap about like the ski bags did when on the roof ...but remember as you have a Disco that you might need a portable ladder to reach!

And don't forget you have one on the roof in underground parking! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stuarth wrote:

And don't forget you have one on the roof in underground parking! Madeye-Smiley

Good reminder, which unfortunately brings back the memory of my shaving the bikes off the roof with the carport about 20 yrs ago. Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I bought a half width Thule Ocean 500 off ebay 4 years ago for about £80 for skis. It's brilliant and does go through the loft hatch when not in use.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You also have to book yourself onto the single deck carriage on the tunnel train (assuming you're not taking the ferry). If you are over 1.85 metres then you can't use the double decker carriage - Disco sport is about 1.7m so anything one the roof puts you into the tall vehicle category.
snow report
LavaLaura wrote:
Previously we had a magnetic ski carrier. Sadly that option isn’t going to work with our new car - Landrover Discovery Sport.

I’m looking at buying this combo. Any thoughts?

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/winter-and-water-sports-carriers/ski-racks/thule-snowpack-extender-_-732500r

Thule SnowPack M 7324 Black ski carrier - 160€

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/winter-and-water-sports-carriers/ski-racks/thule-snowpack-l-_-732607

Thule WingBar Evo roof rack system aluminium
Thule Wingbar Evo 135 | 711400
Thule Clamp Evo | 710500
Kit 145213

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/roof-rack/car-roof-racks/thule-wingbar-evo-_-711xxx?selectedcar=make%3A8af71645-774f-4b01-9ff5-9951537d861d%7CLAND%2520ROVER%2Cyear%3A2021%7C2021%2Cmodel%3Aedd54c9e-a96c-429e-a5ec-1d408a3c916a%7CDiscovery%2520Sport%25205-dr%2520SUV%25202015-%2Croof%3A9d941399-ed91-4055-9c13-3c8c9d43a7f8%7Cwith%2520Normal%2520Roof#

I have similar and it works a treat. You can wash the skis down once you get to destination and the grime will come swiftly off.

Does whistle a bit though but it drowns out some of the whining from the children...
snow report
When I read the title I thought, "wow, skis that have a panoramic roof" Laughing
snow report
In the end the friends we were travelling with took the skis. Thankfully as there was no spare space in the car. We did take some excess kit, but not that much. I’m struggling to see what we could have left that meant we’d have fitted the skis in.

I’m now torn between a roof system (we could hire this if we did it in advance) and a tow bar carrier that my sister says is popular in France? And maybe easier to load than a roof rack?
snow report
Disco sport with 4 passengers and you couldn’t do the ski hatch option.

Review what you take with you!
ski holidays
I really don’t think removing the excess would have made much difference.

We had 2 x a spare coat and salopettes (so 2 spares between 4). We each had a pair of walking boots that we used for tobogganing.

We had to pick my eldest (kids are 15/17 so adult sizes) up en route from a basketball tournament so he had more clothes with him than he’d have had otherwise.

We hired ski boots for the kids in resort.

The car doesn’t have a ski hatch - but the middle seat folds down.

We’re (hopefully) going for a night next weekend. It will be interesting to see how much less we have for a night. Last time was 6 nights. Maybe the extra bag my son had (a large hold-all) will make the difference.
snow report
@LavaLaura, important footnote - there’s a very useful discussion elsewhere on here which makes it very clear that it’s a very bad idea to run skis exposed across France - think 9 hours of salt spray - while some say ‘it’s fine’ the definitive view from technicians is that it very much is not - so it would be good to build that into your planning....if an add on Thule rear box could take bulky but light kit - clothing etc - then that would create room in the cabin, and you could perhaps avoid the problems of roof boxes.
snow report
I have the thule ski clamps (never used them). My plan was to remove bindings (QK) and bag/tape skis but tbh if driving to the alps I prob would just bite the bullet and get a roof box approx £250. You would probably get half back on resale if you don't wreck it. Long drive i would like the seating area clear of clutter.
latest report
WASHOUT wrote:
........Long drive i would like the seating area clear of clutter.

Hah, this was my load for the last EoSB. Just enough room for me & Dave's gear on top and our own skis'n'boards in the roof box.

snow conditions
Blimey Jon. Where did the suspension sit on the Octavia with all that lot in....
ski holidays
valais2 wrote:
Blimey Jon. Where did the suspension sit on the Octavia with all that lot in....

No problem at all. Probably had 50kg in the roof box as well. The issue was when Dave and I got in!
snow conditions
The problem is when you have to brake hard?!
snow report
@LavaLaura, having just been through the process of ordering the Discovery Sport if you have a tow bar fitted that is your better option £££-wise. Firstly, the Sport is around 1.75 high, 1.95 with skis, which means the roof is not that easy to get to in any event. It is 1.95m wide + mirrors so takes skis without decapitating pedestrians. We tried a tow ball system with ours and it worked well. On the other hand, if you think skis get dirty on the roof that's nothing compared to the back of a square-backed SUV, so do tape them in a bag on longer trips. Mottez and Milestone both do towball racks that fold down allowing you to get in and out of the boot without taking the whole thing off.
snow report
like some of the others, I would recommend in car or in box, not on rack.

In rack rusts the edges. Maybe that doesn't matter if you never tune your skis, but if you like them tuned and don't want to waste all your edge, worth keeping them under cover. Even then drying them off with a towel is recommended.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@gryphea, indeed … and that corrosion can distort edges too, separating the ptex and edge … and far worse is corrosion of titanal layer in sidewall skis, internal corrosion in bindings, both initially invisible but destroys skis - see the thread in this. It’s a big deal. Just rinsing off or drying not enough to counter the effects of holding skis in salt spray.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 9-03-22 16:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@spyderjon did post this - https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3544722&highlight=#3544722 - a couple of years ago showing the outcome of unprotected skis on the roof.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy