Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alert oversize baggage LHR

Poster: A snowHead
Just a heads up for anyone taking their skis from T5, LHR. We checked in our normal luggage and went round to oversize to put the skis in. I was asked what time the flight was departing (it was about 2/half hours to go) so my skis joined a large pile adjacent to the baggage belt.
Hardly surprising then to receive a text on landing at NCE to inform us one piece of baggage hadn’t made it into our aircraft’s hold. And I just knew it would be the skis.
Luckily, we were staying the night locally before going on to the ski station today so we went back a few hours later to retrieve them, delivered on the following flight (which was also a worry for a bit, as airside didn’t answer the phone on the first few tries… I thought they’d gone home).
I have insider moles, and baggage issues (mainly with the belts) have been causing problems for at least two weeks and the issue is still not really resolved. Obvs great, on top of the well-known IT problems BA are having.
My tip is, if you are checking in skis at LHR T5, maybe don’t do as I did and pack your ski gear in with them, if you can avoid it. At least then you can hire if you don’t see them for a while.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glad you got your skis.
It’s just a mess right now with BA and T5. I have complained on other threads here that I had to fly back out to ski when BA hadn’t delivered my gear from the earlier trip (they blamed the storms but as you allude there is much more going on than that). They then cancelled my flight on the way home with a few hours’ notice as I was getting into my transfer bus! I often have a few grumbles with hire skis (viz the old adage about a bad workman…!) but these situations do put me off getting my own.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's been going on to a greater or lesser extent since T5 opened, and everything failed on openning day. They appear to have designed and built and state of the art terminal with no redundancy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Had the same problem today. Arrived in Turin and no ski bag. Apparently they can get it to us on Tuesday.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bloody hell, off to Turin a week today from LHR, these tales are making me pretty apprehensive about my skis getting lost.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just search for the thread where people insist that this never happens, then you'll feel better, at least for a while wink
It's fairly unlikely stuff will get "lost" - "misplaced" is not so uncommon.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
LDP816 wrote:
Bloody hell, off to Turin a week today from LHR, these tales are making me pretty apprehensive about my skis getting lost.

My brother joined a ski touring group (for a week's guided touring in Oetztal) last night in Innsbruck and tells me that one of his party (a stranger to him) flew to Innsbruck with BA from Heathrow and none of his luggage arrived. The only kit he had was his ski boots.

They went to Innsbruck airport this morning - but the luggage still hadn't arrived.

The result was that that the lad concerned was left behind as the tour departed without him. Sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I will have to admit my husband and I both worked for BA for around 35 years. Actually, that’s a long time, is t it now when I think about it. Anyway. Still have friends hanging on in there. They have found it difficult to get up to speed since all the COVID times - even when I went to Spain last October, T5 was heaving - a lot of staff left during the COVID period and they’re struggling to replace now people are desperate to travel again.
I’m sorry to LDP816 and Skimum1 as don’t want to be negative. For years, I never really had any problems with lost baggage - just once or twice - but it seems to be much more of a problem these days. I strongly recommend just randomly putting different items in different checked bags. Of course, if you can manage without checked luggage, that’s the best, but I always have way too much stuff despite travelling for a living all my life (including my own equipment).
I think things WILL improve - it’s just to say, spread your luggage contents as best you can. It’s the oversize that’s having a problem at the moment.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skimum1 wrote:
Glad you got your skis.
It’s just a mess right now with BA and T5. I have complained on other threads here that I had to fly back out to ski when BA hadn’t delivered my gear from the earlier trip (they blamed the storms but as you allude there is much more going on than that). They then cancelled my flight on the way home with a few hours’ notice as I was getting into my transfer bus! I often have a few grumbles with hire skis (viz the old adage about a bad workman…!) but these situations do put me off getting my own.

I hope you got adequate compensation, Skimum1 ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We traveled BA via T5 for the Pre Birthday bash and our ski's didn't make it to the plane. Due to a few problems detailed elsewhere we decided to hire ski's and spent time arranging to have the ski bag delivered to an address in the UK. They turned up in Venice later that evening which was a real PITA as we were already a 250 euro taxi away. Luckily our ski gear was in hand luggage.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We travelled BA yesterday from T5. Our double ski bag got put into a huge pile - it was pandemonium in the terminal. Needless to say it didn’t make it to GVA and we stupidly put all my husbands stuff in that bag to pad it out. It was supposed to arrive today but it hasn’t so we’ve had to borrow / rent clothes and kit for him. I am done with BA.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kimski44 wrote:

I hope you got adequate compensation, Skimum1 ?

Well I have completed the form and it’s gone into the abyss (like my refund request for the cancelled flight because it was part flown/avios…) just hope to hear back.

Sorry to hear all these sorry stories from snowheads alone. I too have more in the recent past; something is not working at BA sad to say. Hope they turn it around quickly before it’s too late.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Travelling through LHR T5 today (from Manchester and then on to YVR) so glad I spotted this thread. We have made sure we have a full set of gear in hand luggage so would only need to hire skis and board/boots for hubby.

Still a complete pain though as I’m worried how long it will take for them to actually arrive if they cannot even get them to Turin next day!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Travelling early next Sunday so this is useful intelligence. Will ensure we have the essentials packed in hand luggage etc.

Edit: the more I thought about it, the more I became concerned for a relatively short trip. So cancelled BA and booked SWISS from Terminal 2 instead.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mmm, we are flying a week on Wednesday for a long weekend till Monday. Worried now, I have been waiting to use my new skis for nearly 2 years!! Thanks for the heads up! Will definitely put boots in carry on and spread gear round. Fortunately we are Club Europe (vouchers!) so can take another case as well as my ski bag, and my wife is hiring anyway.
latest report
Just to update my complaints above, BA so far seem to be pretty good about agreeing to pay for the hire/purchase of items in my delayed luggage that I hadn’t had back in time for my next trip, which is something I guess.
latest report
Am due to fly to Turin next weekend and then a couple of weeks later driving out to Tignes for Easter. As BA want £60 each way for ski carriage and there’s a knock on risk of not making them back for Easter any suggestions on why I wouldn’t just rent?
ski holidays
brovert wrote:
Am due to fly to Turin next weekend and then a couple of weeks later driving out to Tignes for Easter. As BA want £60 each way for ski carriage and there’s a knock on risk of not making them back for Easter any suggestions on why I wouldn’t just rent?

Are you sure about the £60 fee? we’ve flown with BA many times and the limit is 23kg but it can be made up of whatever you want so effectively ski carriage is included in the ticket cost. We are flying on Sunday and this is the case.
snow report
@brovert, £60 each way???? Just check them in as your standard luggage
snow report
LDP816 wrote:
brovert wrote:

Are you sure about the £60 fee? we’ve flown with BA many times and the limit is 23kg but it can be made up of whatever you want so effectively ski carriage is included in the ticket cost. We are flying on Sunday and this is the case.

It can be, but if you have a suitcase in addition to your ski bag, it's £60 for the bag that's deemed to be extra.
snow report
I booked easy jet for an upcoming trip rather than BA given the press BA have had of late and being difficult over refunds / rebooking / changes. that's a sign of the times!
snow report
LOTA wrote:
LDP816 wrote:
brovert wrote:

It can be, but if you have a suitcase in addition to your ski bag, it's £60 for the bag that's deemed to be extra.

If you have more gear than you can fit in a ski bag, a cabin bag (rucksack) and a laptop bag or briefcase. You’re either going away for an entire season or you’re taking too much kit……
latest report
LDP816 wrote:
LOTA wrote:
LDP816 wrote:
brovert wrote:

If you have more gear than you can fit in a ski bag, a cabin bag (rucksack) and a laptop bag or briefcase. You’re either going away for an entire season or you’re taking too much kit……

You can never have too much kit!! Very Happy
latest report
LOTA wrote:
LDP816 wrote:
LOTA wrote:
LDP816 wrote:
brovert wrote:

Strange, my partner doesn’t see it this way!!!
ski holidays
I flew out of Heathrow to Innsbruck on BA on 27 Feb and they wouldn't let people in groups 7 to 9 (not sure how they decide who is in which group) take a carry on plus laptop bag into the cabin. Said it was a busy flight. I had to check my carry on into the hold at the gate.
Not sure how common this is.
Thankfully that carry on plus my snowboard bag both turned up in arrivals at Innsbruck.
ski holidays
If BA is having issues with oversize baggage not sure why I would risk everything getting delayed. Would much rather mitigate risk by packing essentials into boot bag that goes in Cabin with me, remainder of clothes in a normal size bag that stands a good chance of making the flight, and then deciding whether to take my own ski’s with me or rent when out there.
snow report
If you rent anyway and they are not delivering ski bags then just pack a few fence posts in a cheap ski bag and maybe you get to rent for free.
snow conditions
LOTA wrote:
Travelling early next Sunday so this is useful intelligence. Will ensure we have the essentials packed in hand luggage etc.

Edit: the more I thought about it, the more I became concerned for a relatively short trip. So cancelled BA and booked SWISS from Terminal 2 instead.

To be honest, I think that was a good idea, LOTA.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bergmeister wrote:
LDP816 wrote:

My brother joined a ski touring group (for a week's guided touring in Oetztal) last night in Innsbruck and tells me that one of his party (a stranger to him) flew to Innsbruck with BA from Heathrow and none of his luggage arrived. The only kit he had was his ski boots.

They went to Innsbruck airport this morning - but the luggage still hadn't arrived.

The result was that that the lad concerned was left behind as the tour departed without him. Sad

That is so sad. Just a “we’re very sorry and hope you haven’t been too inconvenienced” doesn’t really cut it, does it.
Hopefully, as they manage to recruit and train more staff to replace those that left during the pandemic, things will improve at BA, but in the meantime, changing to Sleaze or similar is probably a better way to go if you would like your baggage to travel on the same aircraft as you.
snow report
Somehow despite delays on every leg of our journey and a super long wait for YVR the ski bags did make it through T5 and onto the plane.
latest report
We finally got our bag yesterday PM, so were without it for 48 hours. So that's three days of our holiday where we've had to do things other than have fun, and we now have loads of receipts to reclaim from BA as well. Fortunately we're here for longer than a week - really hope the snow train is running again next year.
ski holidays
@bumbear, how frustrating! In recent experience they do pay out which is not much consolation but it’s something.
ski holidays
LOTA wrote:
LDP816 wrote:
LOTA wrote:
LDP816 wrote:
brovert wrote:

Other than all the kit that you take that you can't possibly wear in a week... wink
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:
LOTA wrote:
LDP816 wrote:
LOTA wrote:
LDP816 wrote:
brovert wrote:

Other than all the kit that you take that you can't possibly wear in a week... wink

Who is only going for a week? Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy