Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chambrey to Val Thorens - Stuck for Transfer!

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all

I'm currently looking into booking a transfer for 26th March from Chambery airport going to Val Thorens then coming back 2nd April for four people. Does anyone have any recommendations of transfer companies please? I'm waiting on replies from a few but Snowlinx and Mountain Express are already fully booked unfortunately.

I've looked into getting the train to Moutiers then the bus but that looks hard work??

Thanks!
Zara
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
With 4 of you, sharing a rented car would be a reasonable option - and less hard work!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Use https://www.findtransfers.com/

Taxi/transfer firms with availablity will then send you some quotes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
4 of us are doing the exact same thing as you but the week earlier. We used https://www.findtransfers.com/ and we have booked a minivan on there for EUR 300 each way (cash only!)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try Alps2Alps. I have got a 10% discount with A2A in past
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

have booked a minivan on there for EUR 300 each way (cash only!)

Shocked renting a car would surely cost less than 600, even factoring in fuel and tolls.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
3 valleys transfer - 3vt
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@iomgirl,

The train will cost you about a tenner each way from Chambery to Moutiers; and a bus from Moutiers to Val T will cost about €12.

Tickets are bookable via Trainline.com and the bus on the Altibus website.

It's not hard work at all. wink The direct train takes about 70 minutes, and the bus picks you up outside Moutiers train station Very Happy

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 3-03-22 13:36; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Shocked renting a car would surely cost less than 600, even factoring in fuel and tolls.

Alternatively, the 4 of them could take the train and bus for about 40 quid pp return. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Car rentals, for the size of car we need, was coming out at only a slightly cheaper price than getting a private transfer and this was before factoring in fuel, car parking, tolls and insurance add ons
etc.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bergmeister wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Alternatively, the 4 of them could take the train and bus for about 40 quid pp return. Very Happy

Yes we could have done of course, but not for us......
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DGM wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Yes we could have done of course, but not for us......

I think I'd have been inclined to take the train and put the 400 and odd quid difference into the drinks kitty Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Damn wish I'd looked into the train a bit more, ah well , for next time Happy transfer booked now, thanks for your help.. at least we don't have to worry about the drive back to the airport hungover on the return!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
iomgirl wrote:
Damn wish I'd looked into the train a bit more, ah well , for next time Happy transfer booked now, thanks for your help.. at least we don't have to worry about the drive back to the airport hungover on the return!

what were you going to do? Walk from the airport to the train station?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@iomgirl, the chances of your plane actually landing in Chambery are pretty slim!
ski holidays
@spyderjon, Laughing that's not very kind
latest report
pam w wrote:
@spyderjon, Laughing that's not very kind

But true.
snow conditions
I didn't say it wasn't true....
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, any idea of best way to get from airport to station?
ski holidays
@GentlemanSkier,

There are a few options, with the bus being the cheapest:-

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Chambery-Airport-CMF/Gare-de-Chamb%C3%A9ry-Challes-les-Eaux
latest report
Snowbound Transfers. If you get diverted to GVA, at least you know they will be coming for you!
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
@iomgirl, the chances of your plane actually landing in Chambery are pretty slim!

As I often repeat, in all my years of flying into/out of Chambery never been diverted inbound and only once moved when outbound couldn't get out. Sure had the odd delay both ways.

However it is a bit of a shed that struggles to cope with numbers at peak times, but this can be aided with timing arrival departure times if possible.
ski holidays
The train journey is pretty easy.
ski holidays
try MV Transport

https://mvtransport.fr/en/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=MV%20Transport%20-%20EN%20(Exact)&utm_term=mv%20transport&utm_content=Brand

Click on Shared Transfer
ski holidays
@Charliegolf,
IME (pre-bloodyCovid) flights did not divert from CMF to GVA unless there were "safety" considerations.
@ansta1, agreed about "the shed" but i've seen worse at other airports!

everyone generally speaking weather diversions from CMF are due to visibility and happen in the first half of the winter. Once the lake has cooled down to a "winter temperature" it doesn't create anywhere near the weather problems. Sometimes cross-winds or tail-winds are a problem.
snow report
I come from the Isle of Man so I'm well versed in crappy airports Happy
snow report
@Nemisis, I was only going by what the owner told us one time when he collected us from Chamberey.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy