Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva Rental Cars

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone used the below company?

https://geneva-rentalcars.com/en/

Seems to be a lot cheaper compared to the big names at the airport, and comes up as the cheapest option on search sites when looking for car hire.

Looks to be located just away from the airport (Blandonnet Centre), which isn't a problem, for the £200+ savings if they're legit.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't think that's far from the airport - on the right as you drive down towards the motorway? Before you get to Ikea? There's a big free car park there which I've sometimes hung around in, waiting to meet a flight. A driver without luggage could easily walk down there and come back for everyone else.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pam w, that's the plan, if they're decent enough.

Some reviews talk about them charging the deposit rather than holding it against the car, then taking ages to pay it back.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For me, if I have to leave the terminal, I might as well hop on a train at the airport and see how far I can get towards my destination anyway. In many cases, it's do-able completely by public transport, or by a combination of train and then taxi/transfer. And on the return leg, once I'm on the train to GVA I'm basically there - with no anxiety about traffic, re-fuelling, the return process, or damage charges. I still hire as often as I take the train, but going off-site seems to me to be the worst of both worlds and I always pickup/drop-off from P51.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

For me, if I have to leave the terminal, I might as well hop on a train

All the hire cars on the international side of GVA now involve leaving the terminal - and the COOP is only a bit further than the other place, if I remember rightly. Easy walk.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes - we used them recently. You can get a free bus (23 I think) from the airport to the Blandonnet Centre. It's not far and you could walk it (as I did - but bus is easier).

They are in a small office in the Centre. Car was a quite adequate VW Golf - about 120,000 km on the clock. The car they provided was not full with petrol, so they reimbursed me the cost of a full tank.

They were fine - no hard sell of excess insurance.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I tend to regard P51 as essentially within the terminal environs and walk to/from in most cases. I suppose what I'm saying is that given the inconsistency in pricing of all the options for transfers, although it may be tedious, it's certainly worth considering something like the offsite company mentioned, but also worth checking the other options available as well, including shared bus transfers, P51 hire, public transport, and train+taxi.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@LaForet, I'm looking at trains as well. At the moment it's around £60 each for a return train to Bourg saint Maurice. Train times don't match up with the final altibus, so we're then looking at €85 transfer to Tignes.

Altibus on the way back is around €10pp.

So train is 4 x £60 =£240
Transfer €85 = £75
Altibus €40 = £35

So roughly £350.

Hire car for a golf is about 360 CHF so around £300, plus fuel, tolls and parking in Tignes, so maybe more like £400.

The advantage to having the car was when we travel back (easter Monday) our flight is at 9pm, and we were thinking we'd drive to Annecy for an afternoon, then back to the airport. Train doesn't give us that option, but would probably give us a couple of hours to spend in Geneva having a wander round.

Shared transfers i'll also investigate, but a quick look at Altibus and Alpybus doesn't look great.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Time spent in Annecy is a lot nicer than time spent in Geneva. Walk by the lake, and around the old town.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Westers17, sounds positive. You've not had problems around the 1000 CHF deposit on the card at all?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pam w, exactly my thoughts, but will require the hire car.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@swskier, No - just checked the credit card record. They held the deposit against the car rather than charging it to the card.

Was also useful to do some shopping in the big COOP in the Blandonnet Centre before heading off.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Westers17, thanks very much, appreciated, eases the mind somewhat!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy