Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Retro Ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Me (I´m Portuguese) and a Spanish friend of mine (Raul) are both very interested in ski history and we like a lot old skiing photos.

A few monthes ago, we started a blog where we make some articles with curious stuff and old images we find at the internet or that some people send us, and right now I think we already have some interesting contents for those who are interested in the history of the sport we all love.

We also have what I think is the most comprehensive gallery of vintage ski posters in our blog.

The blog is in Spanish (and one small section in Portuguese), but since we have many stories from all over the world, we started to translate it, some articles are already in English, and we will translate them all in the near future.

You´re all invited to visit Retro Ski and we will appreciate your comments, suggestions and critics.

Let me add that we do this solely for fun, it´s our hobby and not a commercial site.

We hope you enjoy yourselves with some of the stories and the images we have.

Pedro Maia
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pedro maia, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welsome to Snowheads, this is a great site. fantastic photos, I'm going to enjoy watching it grow and grow
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you both for the welcome, and thank you Frosty for the compliment.

Usualy, we add new articles once or twice a week (we have lots of stuff, the problem is the choice) and from now on, all new articles will be in english, and we slowly translate the others.

Pedro Maia
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pedro maia, if you haven't seen too many photos from the early 30s here are some of my father.
Are there any photos of people like the writer Conan Doyle skiing at the end of the 19th century?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball wrote:
pedro maia, if you haven't seen too many photos from the early 30s here are some of my father.
Are there any photos of people like the writer Conan Doyle skiing at the end of the 19th century?
Sowball, your father´s photos are just amazing, I´m going to send you a private message.

At Retro Ski we have an article about Conan Doyle with the only photos I found with him skiing, you can see them here:

Elementary, my dear Watson

(the article about Conan Doyle is yet to be translated, sorry for that)

Pedro Maia
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I sent you a pm back, pedro maia,
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pedro maia, what a really cool site. Not only is the content excellent but I reckon you have done a great job in organising and laying it out. Brilliant!!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Murdoch, I´m glad you liked it, but I can´t take the credits for the lay-out, it´s a standard of the blogs from Nevasport, the spanish website where Retro-Ski is hosted.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I just made a new article with black and white photos of Utah, including pictures of Alta and Brighton before ski lifts were instaled.

You can see it here:

Utah, 1920s
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pedro maia, great photos and welcome to Snowheads. snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pedro maia, Welcome to Snowheads, you have an excellent site. I enjoyed the formation kick turn at the end of the Norwegian army video. Where did you find all these old films?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pedro maia, You have a great site at Retro Ski. I am also interested in the history of skiing and have visited a few ski museums in my travels: The Holmenkollen Ski Museum in Oslo, the St Anton ski museum and the New England Ski Museum at Cannon Mtn New Hampshire - it was there I was able to buy a videocassette of the complete Hannes Schneider/Leni Riefenstahl film "Der Weisse Rausch" - superb Very Happy

As I'm sure you know, Dr Arnold Fanck produced several skiing/mountaineering films in the 1920s. I believe one of the most influential ones was the silent film "Das Wunder des Schneeschuhs" which featured Hannes Schneider and through its depiction of skiing (sometimes in slow motion) did much to promote the popularity of skiing. Do you know if any copies of this are available anywhere?

P.S Welcome to Snowheads snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink, those old german skiing/mountain films are amazing, we have a small article in retro-ski where you can see trailers of two of those movies, including the one you bought (http://www.nevasport.com/nevablogs/detalle.php?id_blogs=31&id_articulos=746).

It´s my intention to make a more detailed article about those films but it won´t be too easy because most of the information available is is german, and it takes me a lot of time to translate it.

Arnold Fanck made not one but two movies called «Das Wunder des Schneeschuhs», one in 1920 and one in 1922, both with Hannes Schneider, but I don´t find them for sale in any web, only the one you bought, "Der Weisse Rausch", which full name is "Der Weisse Rausch-Neue Wunder des Schneeschuhs".

What I found for sale is the book «Das Wunder des Schneeschuhs», from 1925, from Arnold Fanck and Hannes Schneider, check it here.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy