Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suitable binding setting(s) - after injury

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm going out to the Haute-Savoie next Saturday, this will be my first time skiing since I broke my hip in 2019. Whilst i'm raring to go and want to get back up on the skis, I am a little anxious about getting the correct/suitable binding settings for this trip.

The reason for this, is that i'm pretty sure that bindings which were too tight, were a major contributory factor in my break (I fell at low speed on a shallow gradient, but twisted my legs on the way down). I would consider myself a fairly solid intermediate skier (started in 2008 and been skiing most seasons since then). But, given this is my first time out since the injury and I want to start nice and easy, can anyone offer any advice as to suitable settings?

Normally I just let the hire shop set me up and its been just fine, but I suspect that one of the staff misunderstood my weight last time around - hence the potential incorrect setting.

For information, I am approximately 6ft 2in tall and 78Kg.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Thanks,

Simon
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. I would suggest you learn the DIN setting for your height/weight/sole length/skill level so that can determine whether or not the shop set them properly for you from now on. Numerous places online where you can do this....guessing you're around 6.5, but don't take my word for it, make yourself comfortable. 2. Since you are not certain that anything concerning your binding had anything to do with your injury, I would not assign cause...and that's ok. 3. Your problem, if any, is likely to be your head, not your hip. You'll be gun-shy for good reason, also ok. Just understand it and get back on the horse slowly....but also remember that being passive isn't the way....you want to be careful yet aggressive. 4. Setting the release values too low because you're afraid of a repeat performance means you'll fall needlessly because you'll come out when you didn't need to. Do the homework and set them/have them set correctly. Hope you have a blast.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@SpyderSG, a slow twisting fall is a very common scenario for bindings not to release - you just don't generate enough force in this type of fall. So (without other information to the contrary) I wouldn't assume that your bindings were set too tight.

Bearing in mind the psychological aspects, if you're renting (so can't choose a tech you trust) then read up on the correct settings so you can be confident that your bindings are set safely. Of you understand how bindings work, including forward pressure, you should be able to spot major errors pretty easily. Otherwise, I imagine you'll constantly be worrying whether they're right or not.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You are pretty slim, @SpyderSG. How old are you? Wondering whether bone density (lack of) contributed to your injury in a relatively low trauma fall. My BMI is a bit higher than yours, but I have osteopenia (a degree of bone thinning not bad enough to qualify as osteoporosis) and I broke my pelvis in a ski collision some years ago. It knitted up very well, but I don't want a repeat performance.

It might be worth thinking about equipping yourself with the kind of armoured shorts some snowboarders wear, to give you confidence that your hips have some additional protection.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SpyderSG, I similarly broke (well shattered) my hip in 2019. Was back on skis indoors in 2020 and back in the mountains this January. I certainly double checked my settings just to make sure they were set properly including the age adjustment. But no need for further dial down as a pre-release is just as likely to do you damage. I would echo Pam w’s recommendation of armoured/impact shorts for your mind as well as your hip. Getting your first fall out of the way also helps with the head.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Beware anyone who posts a suggested DIN here based on the information you've given. There is not enough in your post to consult a DIN chart, so they are guessing.
You need to know height / weight (which you've given). Skier type (as an intermediate that would be type 2). Age (or at least, assuming you're an adult, whether you are under or over 50). Boot Sole Length. Those last 2 you've not given...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the replies all.

@mgrolf A great idea - i'll be doing just that and educating myself on DIN settings.

@pam_w Whilst I was in hospital in France, they tested for bone density issues and I was told I had none. I can only assume I was very unlucky with my particular break.

@Ski_lots I bought some VPD shorts (Pod) recently so won't be going anywhere without them this holiday! Smile Agree though that I also don't want bindings that are too loose either.

@Tubaski I checked my DIN settings on a couple of websites, with all the information both seemed to suggest 6 as the correct setting (another kg of body weight would put me up to 7). For info I am 46 and my boot sole length in the 300mm range (UK size 10 boot).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SpyderSG wrote:
(another kg of body weight would put me up to 7).

This illustrates one of the limitations of the charts and online calculators - to simplify things, they group e.g. boot lengths into quite wide bands and the steps between the bands can be relatively large. In your case, at least for some calculators (assuming you are a type 2 skier, which seems reasonable based on your description), the difference between 78 and 79 kg is going from 6.5 to 8.
I'm not suggesting you should try to refine the calcs too much, just emphasizing that they are a guide, and it's good to understand how the various factors interact.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy