Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on clothing

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

Going on my 2nd ski holiday to L2A on the 19th of March but the first one was a good 6/7 years ago so remember nothing about clothing and was in January.

I've bought this jacket: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-warm-ski-jacket-500/_/R-p-305769?mc=8556651&c=BROWN_OCHRE but I'm clueless about what base layers, mid-layers and socks to buy in case I'm too hot or too cold. Any advice would be appreciated - just a prior warning I am a student so the budget isn't massive Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you don't have them you will need salopettes (waterproof insulated trousers), ski gloves, ski socks. Plus helmet and sunglasses/goggles. You don't have to spend a fortune on them.

You can probably get away with clothes you have for lower layers. At that time you would be unlucky to get very cold weather, so T shirts (ideally long sleeved ones) as base layer and sweatshirt as mid layer - add or subtract layers according to conditions - will probably suffice. Certainly that was me when I started skiing.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
j b wrote:
If you don't have them you will need salopettes (waterproof insulated trousers), ski gloves, ski socks. Plus helmet and sunglasses/goggles. You don't have to spend a fortune on them.

You can probably get away with clothes you have for lower layers. At that time you would be unlucky to get very cold weather, so T shirts (ideally long sleeved ones) as base layer and sweatshirt as mid layer - add or subtract layers according to conditions - will probably suffice. Certainly that was me when I started skiing.

I've got everything else besides base layer, mid-layers and socks. They're just the bits I'm stuck on what to buy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any fleece you already have would be fine as a midlayer. More often than not the conditions are warm enough for just a base layer and jacket
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NBH wrote:
Any fleece you already have would be fine as a midlayer. More often than not the conditions are warm enough for just a base layer and jacket

thankyou Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Jacket has a hybrid Down filling. In mid March, your problem may well not be keeping warm, but keeping cool.

I would get a Decathlon Base Layer T-Shirt, Micro Fleece Jacket and Wedze ski socks.

Sports Direct also have fleeces and light Running Tops by Karrimor at good prices.

Not Thermal: https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-quarter-zip-running-top-mens-452460#colcode=45246059

Thermal: https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-thermal-quarter-sn21-451523#colcode=45152303

If wanting a warm Fleece in case weather does turn cold: https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-fleece-jacket-mens-443519

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 28-02-22 20:22; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dont forget snow fest festival in l2d that weekend
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
j b wrote:
At that time you would be unlucky to get very cold weather, so T shirts (ideally long sleeved ones) as base layer and sweatshirt as mid layer - add or subtract layers according to conditions - will probably suffice.

Mid March is less likely to be cold than January, but it can be very cold any time especially at altitude and if it is windy. I'd agree on mid layers, any fleece would work (if a mid layer is needed) but I would strongly suggest avoiding cotton for your base layer. As a (relative) beginner, you're likely to sweat so you want a base layer that wicks moisture. A cotton t shirt will get damp, and then if you are inactive for any length of time (exposed chairlift, anyone Shocked ) then you can quickly get very cold. Merino is ideal because it doesn't smell, but a cheap decathlon synthetic base layer will be fine. They dry quickly so can always wash overnight in your accommodation.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spend a bit extra and get a superfine 100% merino baselayer - it’s worth it.
Icebreakers are very good. Uniqlo Merino jumpers are cheaper and you can wear them when not skiing (turn them inside out so you don’t get chaffing from the seams).

For other kit, visit Decathlon and Sports Direct.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I still think you will be able to improvise base and mid layers for late March (and you may well have suitable stuff from other sports e.g. hiking/cycling/running). But do get some proper ski socks, it really doesn't work to assume you can get away with some socks you already have. You can always buy some in the hire shop, but at a price.

I never bothered with a jacket designed for skiing until this year (and then only because it was in the sale). For the previous 25 years I just used the same waterproof shell I used for hiking with a fleece underneath. Works just as well, though the "apron" sealing off your waist can be useful when a beginner who falls a lot.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@clintt15, As always on Snowheads, you will get great advice and sometimes conflicting advice.

FWIW. In summary I think the following:

- Use what you have to save money

- Base Layers and Fleeces need not cost a lot

- Personally, I would avoid cotton

- Merino is truly excellent and would be my choice - but if money is tight, it is not vital. As long as the base layer wicks away sweat, it is doing the job. Synthetic base layers can pong more and may need rinsed out in the evening

- Don't get cheap nasty socks. In the case of going to Decathlon, go for the more fitted Wedze ones at around a Tenner
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is also a thread which has lots of good advice https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes get the Wedze Marino blend ski socks ..
I have found none better... actually I wear them all winter all the time.
Sometimes I take them off when I go to bed.

I've got ooodles of them, but I wanted to get some more the other day, but they had none left in the Cambridge store. Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

- Merino is truly excellent and would be my choice - but if money is tight,

The likes of M&S sell good quality merino base layers without the skiing tax added.

I don't know what the adult versions are like but the Mountain Warehouse kids merino is excellent.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
musher wrote:
Quote:

- Merino is truly excellent and would be my choice - but if money is tight,

The likes of M&S sell good quality merino base layers without the skiing tax added.

I don't know what the adult versions are like but the Mountain Warehouse kids merino is excellent.

It's a great choice....but it's 35% Merino, compared with 100% Merino of the trendier brands. In the case of the OP, I think this matters not, as budget is an issue.
ski holidays
Mountain Warehouse were "70% Merino Wool, 30% Polyester", no idea what they put in them now (this was a few years ago). The quality on the MW stuff was as good as any of the expensive Smartwool /Icebreaker stuff that I have.
ski holidays
@DrLawn, Dec are totally out of the merino ski socks. Which is annoying as I'm liking them a lot and have hit a ski sock crisis.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@DrLawn, Dec are totally out of the merino ski socks. Which is annoying as I'm liking them a lot and have hit a ski sock crisis.

SportPursuit usually have Smartwool ski socks at around £10.
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, ah, cool, thanks, I shall investigate.
snow conditions
@Old Fartbag, I’m just out shopping now - would you say one heavyweight fleece and one lightweight fleece would be a sufficient?
snow conditions
@clintt15, yes. If budget is tight, I'd skip the heavyweight (given you have an insulated jacket already).
snow conditions
@mgrolf, Thankyou - got a 290gsm and 160gsm fleece. Should be okay i think Smile
snow conditions
Remember to take budgie smugglers if you plan on swimming or going to the spa.
latest report
Quote:

I still think you will be able to improvise base and mid layers for late March (and you may well have suitable stuff from other sports e.g. hiking/cycling/running)

This is very good advice. Decathlon is a good bet, too, if there are some things you absolutely must buy. Back in the olden days lots of us learnt to ski without spending mega-bucks on expensive technical clothing.

Don't forget that in the unlikely event there is an item you absolutely can't do without, when you get there, there are shops (albeit sometimes quite expensive....) in ski resorts.
ski holidays
clintt15 wrote:
@mgrolf, Thankyou - got a 290gsm and 160gsm fleece. Should be okay i think Smile

I think that should work.

I do like the non thermal, light, Quarter Zip Running Top (linked to above @£13), which works very well as a base layer. If it's very warm outside, can be warn on it's own; it can then be combined with either of the other fleeces you have, or indeed with both, if there is a cold snap. Flexibility is the key.
latest report
There was some ski gear in Lidl still the other day. They and Aldi do some reasonable stuff.
snow report
https://www.sportsdirect.com/campri-thermal-baselayer-top-mens-402080#colcode=40208003

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-ski-base-layer-top/_/R-p-313092?mc=8576241

Is there any preference people would say between these?
snow conditions
The first one is thermal; the second may not be, but is brushed polyester.

If you have the 290 and 160 Fleeces, I would still go with the running top, which is cooler and has a higher zip neck that can be opened or closed, depending on the weather ie. https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-quarter-zip-running-top-mens-452460#colcode=45246059

If the choice is between the 2 you have listed, I'd go with the Decathlon one, as it looks more breathable.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Old Fartbag, I got two of the Decathalon one and I’m going to go and pick up one of the sports direct ones you recommended Smile
snow report
clintt15 wrote:
@Old Fartbag, I got two of the Decathalon one and I’m going to go and pick up one of the sports direct ones you recommended Smile
If going in person, you can check it out and see what you think. I have a bunch of them, as they are cheap.
snow conditions
l@Old Fartbag, When would be best to use that sports direct one?
ski holidays
clintt15 wrote:
l@Old Fartbag, When would be best to use that sports direct one?

The answer is "suck it and see". How hot or cold is it? How hot or cold are you? Are you sweating a lot? How hot is your Jacket? You will now have a mix of options to cope with most conditions.
ski holidays
Aldi still have some well priced ski clothing which is being discounted even further on their online app from this evening. For example, the INOC sport midlayer is 20% off at £19.99 and it's 97% merino wool.
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, Thanks for all your help really appreciate it Smile
ski holidays
clintt15 wrote:
@Old Fartbag, Thanks for all your help really appreciate it Smile

There is a price - Come back and tell us how you got on. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Jaolchhu4 wrote:
Aldi still have some well priced ski clothing which is being discounted even further on their online app from this evening. For example, the INOC sport midlayer is 20% off at £19.99 and it's 97% merino wool.

I thoroughly recommend the Aldi merino stuff. I’ve been using it for years. Really good, lasts ages. £15-20 a piece rather than whatever the branded labels sell it for.
ski holidays
I've never really understood the no cotton argument, it draws wetness away from the skin better than anything else, if you get to the stage where your base layers are wet with sweat, then you have completely mismanaged your clothing ventilation. Good ski wear should have adequate zippable vents that allow air circulation even when it is snowing/raining, so called breathable fabrics don't allow anywhere near the air circulation needed to keep cool when needed.
snow report
"I've never really understood the no cotton argument"

What can you say to this without the poster getting butthurt?

From someone with 30 years skiing asking what clothing to buy in another thread ?
snow report
The Aldi merino is local and online at affordable prices and can be on sale in store at half price in certain stores and times of the year .
Its not all that great for a few reasons (one was durability) which could change annually but on cost it is great so who cares less....if you like or need merino baselayers .

Another brand that can come on sale in the uk is Helly Hanson lifa.... those needing cold weather baselayers look out for the merino "dual layer" merino/mesh items .
The mesh is small not optimal like some Norwegian brands but its still excellent holding a layer of insulating dry air next to the skin .
Which is the whole point as warm dry air insulates ,fleece work on a similar principle that most are more familar with using.

The main thing is uk availability at sale cost as the real good scandy mesh gear will cost you a arm and leg and is harder to find to size .

The scandys have forgotten more about winter layering and outdoor clothing than the average brit plonker on hols ...will ever know .

Helly Hansen uk availability means its well worth looking for when on sale in any of the bucket or supermarket type stores.
As with alot of brands sold in the uk full price can be over the top .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy