Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy…mostly pants?

Poster: A snowHead
I’m a great fan of most things Italian. Culture, architecture, scenery, food, wine, style, relatively good value for winter sports, semi organised way of life.

What’s it got for decent intermediate skiers/boarders, who like to get plenty of kilometres covered, with enough challenging pistes and cruising for a week or two, with a good, well linked lift system to support it?

Obviously there’s the Super Dolomiti area, Val Gardena, Arabba/Marmolada, Val di Fassa, Alta Badia, etc. Amongst the best in the world, IMO.
Arguably the Via Lattea (Milky Way) area, with Sauze, Claviere, Sestriere, etc.
Some might add Cervinia, though it’s on the small side, unless you venture across the Swiss border at great extra cost.

The rest is all a bit pants, I think. I mean compared to the general offerings from France, Italy and Switzerland.

Unless, of course, you know different? Puzzled snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You are making a comparison between big ski areas and small ski areas, not between Italy and France etc. There are plenty of French, Swiss and Austrian ski resorts which would qualify as "pants" for skiers who "want to get plenty of kilometres covered" on a lift linked system. Thankfully we're not all looking for the same thing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some in La Plagne and Les Arcs this past two weeks I suspect would have loved some pants skiing in Italy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Champoluc, Gressony and Allagne. A 3 valleys set up with lift served off piste is superb.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Duck wrote:
Champoluc, Gressony and Allagne. A 3 valleys set up with lift served off piste is superb.

Ssssshhh. Let the crowds keep thinking it’s pants.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
By the same token, you might want to give Japan, Canada, US and Georgia a swerve as they're all a bit pants too. Wouldn't waste my time Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@PeakyB, You said “The rest is all a bit pants, I think. I mean compared to the general offerings from France, Italy and Switzerland.”
Seems a bit contradictionary
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, if the number of kilometres of linked piste is the most important feature then you've just about covered it. 250km seems to be your lower limit - if you set the bar a bit lower you could add places like La Thuile or Madonna di Campiglio.

Of course you need to apply the same 250km limit to the other Alpine countries too...

Unfortunately that means Switzerland is also "pants" - it only has the Portes du Soleil, 4 Valleys and Zermatt.

Austria is also pants. Just the Arlberg, Saalbach and Skiwelt.

That just leaves France, with just a handful of ski areas which aren't pants...

...see the point I'm making? wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Im on a lift in a tiny "pants" ski area in Italy right now, had 3 rides so far and have only passed one instructor with a kid.

Pistes are great this morning though getting a bit discoloured in places.

Im about to lap a 1200m blue about half a dozen times practicing my carving. Love it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is that all of Scandinvia "pants" as well?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BoardieK wrote:
Pistes are great this morning though getting a bit discoloured in places.

Stop weeing on the pistes and use a proper toilet Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PeakyB wrote:
I’m a great fan of most things Italian. Culture, architecture, scenery, food, wine, style, relatively good value for winter sports, semi organised way of life.

What’s it got for decent intermediate skiers/boarders, who like to get plenty of kilometres covered, with enough challenging pistes and cruising for a week or two, with a good, well linked lift system to support it?

Obviously there’s the Super Dolomiti area, Val Gardena, Arabba/Marmolada, Val di Fassa, Alta Badia, etc. Amongst the best in the world, IMO.
Arguably the Via Lattea (Milky Way) area, with Sauze, Claviere, Sestriere, etc.
Some might add Cervinia, though it’s on the small side, unless you venture across the Swiss border at great extra cost.

The rest is all a bit pants, I think. I mean compared to the general offerings from France, Italy and Switzerland.

Unless, of course, you know different? Puzzled snowHead

Is this a "what ever did the Romans do for us" post?

I'm sensing a hint of irony here. snowHead snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some people just like to ski at massive convenient places where they can hoon round a linked system without thinking very hard. And that's ok - I'm not judging them... Toofy Grin wink

But Italy has all of those smaller resorts linked by public transport which offer such a massive variety of on and off piste skiing, incredible, surprising views (aaah, that view of Lake Garda from Cima Paganella), and as noted marvellous food and culture. More for a keen intermediate who wants to challenge themselves than you can shake a stick at! So un-pants.

Guess if we all liked the same thing life would be very boring. Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ha, so good others replied while I had my morning coffee. It would have been a grumpy post. Now just smiling at a better tempered humorous replies Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, well, I might be comparing large area with small areas, but I’m also comparing and contrasting the different major European alpine countries.

I agree also that there are many small ski areas in each country that don’t suit adventurous intermediates looking for lots of kilometres of piste skiing.

I was implying that, compared to the other 3 major alpine countries, Italy has less of an offering in that respect. Or perhaps I was throwing out a question for people who know Italy better than me to prove that assumption wrong?

Agreed also that ‘thankfully we’re not all looking for the same thing’.
But, on this specific thread, that’s exactly what I’m asking about.
latest report
@Rob Mackley, where, other than the areas I mentioned in my OP?
latest report
@Duck, thanks.
snow report
@element, I enjoyed Japan and much of my USA skiing. Long way for Europeans and, all things considered, expensive (light blue touch paper and retire to a safe distance).

Canada a bit limited, apart from Whistler? A long way and rather chilly.

Must admit, never thought of Georgia and know nothing about it. Where could you recommend and why? Do they have top class cannelloni, goulash soup, cake and beer?
ski holidays
@geoffknight, I’m not sure what’s contradictory in my OP?
ski holidays
@denfinella, I do see the point you’re making.

I’ve skied at La Thuile, linked with La Rosiere. OK but lacking wow factor.

Will take a look at Madonna de C, thanks.
latest report
@BoardieK, oh do tell, it must be lonely there.
snow report
@ster, please tell us about Scandinavia, for the type of skier/boarder I outlined?

A…ahem…minor oversight amongst major European alpine countries on my part.
snow conditions
PeakyB wrote:
@geoffknight, I’m not sure what’s contradictory in my OP?

Comparing Italy to France Switzerland and er Italy. wink
snow conditions
@t44tomo, we’ll done, I wondered which of you would be the first to spot that.
ski holidays
@ElzP, agreed, whatever Vive La Difference is in Italian.
latest report
@mooney058, apols if my OP made you grumpy and glad you’re smiley again.
latest report
@PeakyB, yup its pants then. Definitely nothing for you there.
snow report
@T Bar, is it invalid to compare the attributes of different countries? I’m not sure if that’s what you’re implying Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PeakyB wrote:
@mooney058, apols if my OP made you grumpy and glad you’re smiley again.
no need to apologise, it is not you, it is me Smile
snow conditions
@ster, I never said I AM that person outlined in the OP.
ski holidays
@mooney058, don’t you start, I’ll apologise to whoever I want wink
ski holidays
@PeakyB, I think you'd find that the majority of Swiss, Austrian and French resorts fail to meet what you imply are the essential criteria for "decent intermediate skiers and boarders". I don't get the impression that the majority of Swiss, Austrian, Italian or French skiers require hundreds of kms of fast lift-linked terrain. There is a certain type of Brit skier who does, I agree - but it's self-evident that many who post on SHs don't fall into that category.
snow report
@pam w, I never mentioned ‘essential criteria’ or anything about what most mainland European skiers want. I didn’t intend to imply those things either.

I merely outlined certain characteristics of a particular type of skier/boarder and posed questions about how much Italy has to meet their preferences, compared to 3 other countries.
snow conditions
@PeakyB, who is this mysterious skier??? Why frame this question if not you, asking for a friend?
ski holidays
@ster, exactly.
latest report
PeakyB wrote:
@T Bar, is it invalid to compare the attributes of different countries? I’m not sure if that’s what you’re implying Puzzled

Italy is not a different country from Italy that I'm aware of. You were comparing Italy with Italy, I think you meant Austria or maybe Scotland.
snow conditions
You implied quite a lot about what is required by "decent intermediate" skiers (and that category includes rather a lot of mainland Europeans) , which is nowhere in Italy except Dolomiti Superski or possibly the Via Lattea (though that has quite a few creaky lifts). When that proposition (which excludes some iconic destinations, including Chamonix, Klosters and Monterosa) is demonstrated to be false, you start ducking and weaving. Did you have a sleepless night pondering this question?
latest report
pam w wrote:
You implied quite a lot about what is required by "decent intermediate" skiers

I think it was just a badly phrased OP (in particular the comma after 'intermediate skiers/boarders' is misleading), and that this particular poster is asking whether Italy has anywhere that would appeal to 'a decent intermediate who likes to get plenty of kilometres covered, with enough challenging pistes and cruising for a week or two, with a good, well linked lift system to support it'.
snow report
@PeakyB, definitely agree with you about La Thuile lacking a wow factor.

On the other hand, there are lots of smaller ski areas with I think do have a wow factor. Monterosa being one of the Italian ones.
ski holidays
@T Bar,
Quote:

Italy is not a different country from Italy that I'm aware of. You were comparing Italy with Italy, I think you meant Austria or maybe Scotland.

I actually wrote...

Quote:

I mean compared to the general offerings from France, Italy and Switzerland.

Of course, I meant Austria Embarassed

I don'tthink Scotland is quite in the same league, is it> (light blue touch paper.....)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy