Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Châtel (PDS) non skier meeting skiers for lunch

Poster: A snowHead
I’m thinking Plaine Dranse is the best area for a bon skier to meet up with skiers for lunch but am I missing any other options. Bonus points for great views and a restaurant with beaucoup de character.

Also any dinner spots in Chapelle D’Abondance (casual quirky, caters to veggies and non-veggies rather than anything too swanky).

Merci
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are 3 pedestrian uplift options available to restaurants. Pierre Longue chair from PLJ to PD restaurants, Super Châtel gondola to Escale restaurant next to the top station, or PDS chair from Lac Vonnes to the restaurant adjacent to the top station. Escale on SC is great on the deck if it’s sunny but you have to be skiing at Super Chatel which will be limiting due to current lack of snow. You will find more variety and character at Plane Dranse - Chez Crepy (upstairs) and Chez Denis are our favourites.

La Chapelle has Le Fer Rouge which is a micro brewery, sports bar, pub with restaurant upstairs which has vegetarian on their menu. La Clos Souvayard and Chez Jacki are very good.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agree with everything @Ozboy says, but on Pedestrian accessible resto on the Piste don't forget about La Ferme at the top of the Linga Gondola. Has a nice stone table, log fire, but out side space is a bit limited. Thinking outside the box, you can get the free bus to Morgins, and then go to Resto at the top of La Foilleuse. Awesome views of the dents de midi, I have not been for over a year, but IMHO not as good as pre-covid years since when its tried to reinvent itself. Hopefully this year its found its new identity and is great again. @ChateauBeauRoc can probably advise on that one.
In La Chapelle itself, I am a Fer Rouge Fan, but also a Les Cornettes Fan boy. Despite its billing and uninterrupted appearance in the Michelin guide for decades, it is not "swanky" - it's just good value. It is very quirky, from the Hurdy-Gurdy playing, crooning crone (who used to frequent the dining room), to the bizarre museum on the way to the downstairs toilets, there an unparalleled quirkiness in the Valley. We've only eaten in the main resto side, but friends have gone on the Brasserie side and confirm that its also excellent.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@OuatteDePhoque, I did t recommend La Ferme as thought it was a tad lower to access on foot? The other out of the box is Petit Châtel for Chalet de Theo which is a good day out providing skiers can access via Super Châtel which currently can only be done by Black Barbossine from Morclan.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@OuatteDePhoque, Actually I've not eaten in the Restaurant Là Ô this season, and only rarely in the past. I agree that it was not so good since it changed hands about three or four years back, with somewhat limited menu options. It's now being run by Max, who also runs the T-Bar, the T-Bachus (was the Yucatan) and from this season the T-La (ex C-La) pizzeria, since the previous proprietor finally retired last summer. So he has a track record, but so far it looks like he hasn't really made any changes to Là Ô - the online menu appears pretty much the same as last year.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Chaletbeauroc, You say its T-bar has changed owner - have Rolf Sigg and Claire moved on ?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Assuming they are a fit, healthy non skier I'd second @Ozboy's La Ferme des Pistes recommendation. My favourite restaurant in the PDS food and 'alpine charm' wise and only a short plod down the snow from the Linga gondola.

Another option is Chez Babeth in the Plaine Dranse bowl. Only eaten there once (had the Tartafette - good, but not as good as the one in La Ferme) but...let's say it has a very unique ambiance inside!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@OuatteDePhoque, Rolf never had any connection with the T-bar, at least not that I'm aware of, but I've only been here five years, so maybe historically, I don't know. He/they used to run the yurt at the bottom of the village, aka the M3S bar, but that closed three or four years ago when we (the M3S ski school, that is) relocated to the newly-acquired second Snowline shop opposite the Foilleuse chair, that used to be an Intersport.

Rolf and family are still very much part of the village, with those two shops taking the lions share of rentals, summer and winter, although he stood back from the Ski School (that he founded) a couple of years ago. Still wears the colours sometimes, but no longer owner/director.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Chaletbeauroc, Rolf used to own the Snowline shop and also the T-Bar (which was next door), but it used to be called the Bazot (way back when) and they had dancing downstairs. This was 1988 Smile
Are you at SnowPros?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@OuatteDePhoque, No, M3S, hence the Snowline/Rolf connection.

Are you perhaps confusing the T-Bar with what was the Yucatan, now the T-Bacchus, which is next to the original? Snowline shop underneath the Bellevue apartment block, with a separate nightclub downstairs (now) called the SAF club? I went downstairs there just once, heard the noise, saw a cover/cloakroom charge and decided PDQ not to bother.

The T-BAR is on the main road opposite, next to (as in, connected internally) the launderette/blanchiserie, and although it does have a downstairs room I've never known it used for dancing, or anything else for that matter. Nightlife in Morgins must have been much more lively back in the day if it could support two club-type establishments.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Chaletbeauroc, The SAF was formerly the Safari, under the Hotel Bellevue.
Used to be an ok club open till about 4, had a nice bouncer called Nils who was fancied by all the girls from the Abondance valley.
People would come from Chatel and Abondance way back then.
SnowLine Used to be over the road, next to the Bazot (T-Bar), so where the laundry is now.
Before La Foret went Dutch it was a hotel, which along with the Hotel BellaVista took about 200 English guests every week, from SkiLine / Schools Abroad. The La Foret also had a downstairs disco under the bar.
There was also a semi secret bar in one of the bunkers under the Pension de Morgins called Lappis bar too.
Also 2 more bars up by the border, and the Savolaire bar opposite the ice rink.
I think it has lost 6 or 7 bars and 3 hotels and 2 dance floors.

They took paradise and put up a parking lot.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you so much. This is helpful.

We live not far away and have a season rental in Chapelle so up there most weekends but usually self-cater or have the kids with us.

This time I’ve got some pals coming from the UK (1 non skier, 2 intermediate, veggies) - 4 ladies inc me - next weekend so wanted to make sure we could have some nice options.

Saying all this though, how awful are the conditions?? We went up week before last for half term and the slush/crowds weren’t toooooo bad but we only stayed til Thursday but we’re seeing the decline throughout the week - and that was before half term part 2 this week just gone.

I was going to advise my pals to just get the Châtel weekend ski pass and do one day at PD and one day at Super Chatel. Now not so sure… We’ll have the car, but need to be somewhere the non-skier can hang out or get to by bus if she doesn’t join us by car first thing.

And the 2 other skiers are getting a bit nervous about the conditions. So wondering if we need a Plan B. They fly into GVA so we could go elsewhere…

1. Stick to (free) Chapelle accommodation / ski at Avoriaz/Chatel?
2. Head somewhere like Saas Fee or Zermatt or Verbier for higher altitudes and suck up the cost.
3. Do a city break in Annecy and or Lyon instead and mack off the skiing.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A "city break" in Annecy wouldn't take much more than a day, though if weather is nice walking (or renting bikes and cycling) around the lake is very pleasant.

If your first day of skiing is Saturday 4 March crowds shouldn't be a problem (Friday 3 another story.....).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah I was thinking of both Annecy AND Lyon tbh.

Sat and Sun would be ski days. Not so bothered about crowds, more concerned about the conditions…
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Missy, We were in Châtel two weeks ago and conditions in Linga, PLJ/PD were very good and I think you will be fine with a Châtel only pass as long as you are happy to stay in those areas but perhaps Linga may be a tad too difficult for your intermediates? Super Châtel main area is fine but the back off Morclan is not skiable and in any case the “piste dangereuse” sign at the bottom of Morclan normally scare off
nervous intermediates from boarding the lift for good reason.

If it were me we would get the bus (or park in village multi-story) and start each morning at SuperChatel and head over to Plane Dranse in the afternoon and finish at PLJ. This direction will be fine for most intermediates and avoids slush at SC of its hot. There may be a delay at Gabalou lift but there are busses if the queue is big.
Have lunch with non-skier friend in SC on one day and PD on the other. Finish at PLJ for “Apres” drinks with the non-skier. My wife is veggie and she is happy eating at Escale at SC and Chez Crepy at PD. Your non-skier could also hang out at the local spa before lunch.

If you are thinking about “city” break then another “out of the box” option is Montreux in CH which has great bars and venues and restaurants and gets good sun. Although I don’t think the snow conditions would warrant sacking off skiing.
latest report
Funnily enough we’ve never skied at the Linga bit.

And two weeks ago it was ok at SC and we tried a bit up at PC, but it wasn’t great, so guessing that won’t be worth it all now (that might be the closed but you’re talking about - I’m crap with the names of lifts/runs) but since the busy-ness of half-term and declining conditions I was assuming it would be worse.

Liking the SC->PD plan, thanks. And a bit more mooching to be done in the village for our non-skier rather than PLJ. Is Forme D’O open before 12? Will check…

I live 10 mins from Montreux, so if we do end up not skiing it could be worth a lake-side stroll.
ski holidays
PC was in a bad state at half term 2 weeks ago and they closed access from SC by the middle of the week. Bottom half of Linga from gondola top station is great for intermediates and often quiet with good snow. Keep skiiers right for easier slopes. I hear Hotel Macchi also has a great spa.
snow conditions
Missy wrote:

I live 10 mins from Montreux.

OMG - So Jealous.
Thats our go to spot for a mellow Sunday dog walk when we're bored with Evian Lakefront.
Can you recommend anywhere for good veggy food in Montreux?
snow conditions
You could take the train up from Montreux to Gstaad - a non-skier would have a fabulous time people-watching there! OK, it's an hr and 40 mins, but a beautiful train journey and doesn't sound like there are long days of skiing to be had anyway...
latest report
OuatteDePhoque wrote:
Missy wrote:

I live 10 mins from Montreux.

OMG - So Jealous.
Thats our go to spot for a mellow Sunday dog walk when we're bored with Evian Lakefront.
Can you recommend anywhere for good veggy food in Montreux?

I am not veggie myself so not totally up to speed on where does good veggie stuff there. We've lived in Switzerland for 6 years and it's still a bit behind in that sense. There is a Poke Bowl places opp the Place du Marche, but it's probably more of a take-away / lunch spot.

I would recommend going a bit further along to Vevey or even as far as Cully for lovely walks. And the vineyards in between the two (park in Chardonne or Rivaz or St Saphorin) are just glorious for a stroll if you haven't tried that already.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy