Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weekend Skiing - resort recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Starting to think about winter plans and probably planning to return to Saalbach in March for a week.

I'm also looking to arrange a Thurs-Mon trip to a resort near Salzburg (that's isn't S-H or Zell am See as we went to both in 2022 and prob returning to Sallbach in 2023). Planning for 3 days of skiing Fri-Sun.

I'm aware of the issues of going across a weekend but going in mid Jan will mean I hope there is some hotel availability. The main issue I have is my sister and her boyfriend are coming and sister has not skied in a while and doesn't really know her level (she's skied three times previously but not for several years). I last skied with her in 2008 and she says blues are good and "will give a red a go". She has suggested she might have a refresher lesson on day 1.

I'm looking to find somewhere with a decent number of blues but also something that allows the stronger skiers a bit of variety. Accommodation and other things can be looked at once I've narrowed it down to a ski area or areas that will work. We also have a snowboarder in our midst.

Bad Hofgastein or St Johann look like possibilities but keen for any input. We don't need a huge ski area as Mrs BH and I can always rack up miles travelling the ski circus in March.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Plenty of choice for this:

Flachau / Wagrain / Flachauwinkl
Waidring / Lofer
Zauchensee / Flachauwinkl
Werfenweng
Gasteinertal
Hochkönig
Filzmoos
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would add Rauris to the list from@Mankei, small, beautifully formed and super for a short break!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’d recommend staying in Maria Alm in the Hochkönig ski area.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I really like Bad Hofgastein but it’s generally quite steep, so while there are some blues I think it would be a bit limited for your sister. Flachau would suit you better.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
TomBH wrote:
She has suggested she might have a refresher lesson on day 1.

Try to put her off that idea and have the lesson on day 2 instead. I'm a confident skier and usually get 3 or 4 weeks in each seasons - but that first time I clip in on day 1 has my brain trying to remember how you do this skiing thing (and would have an instructor thinking I was a week 1 skier) Smile Encorage her to use day 1 to just get her ski legs back/relax into holiday mode/work out where the lesson meet point is under zero pressure rather than "where's the meet point! My lesson starts in 5 minutes!" pressure.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Would not recommend Flachau...its all reds, albeit not hard but there are tricky bits. Also very unlikely to get accommodation for a weekend.

I would recommend radstadt staying at Haus Susanne run by flangesax here (if they are taking short bookings) for your sister
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@TomBH, I regularly do weekends which mean booking accommodation for Friday & Saturday evenings. My experience is that you simply cant book very far in advance. If you wait until around 10 days beforehand and then search on the tourist office website of whichever resort you are generally fine, especially in January, though you might have to end up with you party staying in different hotels / guest houses.

As far as pistes go, dont worry very much about blues, reds etc. Much more relevant is the state of the snow at the time, an icy, worn "blue" can be much more challenging to ski than a "black" with nice snow. As far as I can remember all the resorts around Salzburg are pretty friendly, you arent going to end up somewhere only suitable for rubber legged experts. Especially for a weekend you dont need somewhere with hundreds of kms of pistes. If I had a choice from the list above I would probably go for Zauchensee simply because of the ski in / out bit though accommodation is probably less easy to find than some other places.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Obertauern good snow sure area, just over an hour from Salzburg, pretty well ski-in ski-out, so you maximise slope time.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Bob, in January? Noted for poor vis
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Bob, in January? Noted for poor vis

I've never actually noticed any really poor visibility in Obertauern apart from one-year early feb back in the 90's, anyway its part of the challenge and fun Razz
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers everyone, will have a look at those suggested.

@munich_irish, completely agree on conditions but if looking to book in advance then not much else to go on other than the piste map. Good to hear the feedback on needing to book more last minute though. Might just need to sort the flights now and come back to this in January.

I can always plan our week long trip instead!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy