Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Andermatt- worth exploring?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, have decided to take the plunge for next season and convinced the wife that the “one off” holiday (not to be repeated due to price!) will involve a trip to Canada (never been skiing outside Europe before) for the first time ever to see Vancouver and ski in Whistler. Due to the pricing structure it turns out that a season Epic local pass is only slightly more expensive than a Whistler 9 day pass…and this includes rather randomly a 5 days in Andermatt in Switzerland, I suspect recently invested into by Vail Resorts.

I was thinking on a rather selfish level for extra skiing outside school holidays when family couldn’t make it could organise a short break- get a cheap out of season flight to Geneva and take the train to Andermatt- though I suspect staying there isn’t cheap! I ski pretty much anything and don’t mind lift served off piste though not done much touring.

Seems an interesting area though possibly a touch dark in winter and not entirely linked (though investment changing this?)

Anyone been in that area? Worth an explore?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dr. Will, Yes , went for a couple of days 2 seasons ago and was it very interesting . I’m sure some others will give a better a view . I thought the investment in the area was Egyptian money. One big mountain with a huge back country then a ribbon ski area taking in a few villages and the railway on the other side of the resort . Lively and fun with good snow .
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rob Mackley wrote:
@Dr. Will, Yes , went for a couple of days 2 seasons ago and was it very interesting . I’m sure some others will give a better a view . I thought the investment in the area was Egyptian money. One big mountain with a huge back country then a ribbon ski area taking in a few villages and the railway on the other side of the resort . Lively and fun with good snow .

As far as I can see the investment in recent years has been with Egyptian money but I think Vail Resorts bought a majority stake just before last season so maybe now is the time to go before Vail Resorts make it too expensive!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski arena is an excellent ski area with a great snow record. Andermatt (Gemstock) for thé off piste and Sedrun /Disentis fir more bellow stuff
https://www.andermatt-sedrun-disentis.ch/en/
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fly to Zurich not Geneva. Its 2.30hr by train into town or 1.5hr in the car. Geneva is miles away.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Fly to Zurich not Geneva. Its 2.30hr by train into town or 1.5hr in the car. Geneva is miles away.

The reason I was thinking Geneva was that I would have to travel a further 2 hours from Plymouth to London to fly to Zurich as I don’t think Bristol do flights to Zurich so might as well rather than paying for the extra petrol just spend more time on the train.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looking further at it the combined ski area Ardermatt-Sedrun-DiSentis looks massive in scope, you could spend the entire day travelling from Andermatt to Disentis and just about have time to take the train back (prob no time to ski back) Or could stay centrally in pretty inexpensive accommodation by Swiss standards in Sedrun which is quieter than Andermatt it seems and have the time to ski out and back in either direction. Def interested now!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Get the full Epic pass then you can sneak a week in the 3V, then one in the Brenta Dollies then one in Verbier too.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have done a couple of off-piste weeks there, but not recently.
There is abundant off-piste off the back of the Gemstock goiung down into the next valley to Hospental.
We were guided
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Andermatt is a gem of an area. Not particularly well known to the British punters but those of us who know it generally love it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks guys will definitely give it a go if I can get time off with decent flights and my parents are up for a short break with me while the children are at school- wife doesn't usually mind me keeping her mother in law occupied without her for a few days, hehe!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you go to Andermatt and want some nice adult digs check out the River House Hotel. We enjoyed it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The interesting skiing (steeper slopes and off-piste) are on the Gemsstock. Our guide never bothered with taking us on the other side. So Sedrun is only a good centre if you want mellow skiing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball wrote:
The interesting skiing (steeper slopes and off-piste) are on the Gemsstock. Our guide never bothered with taking us on the other side. So Sedrun is only a good centre if you want mellow skiing.

Thanks yes I can see that other side is mainly mellow blues and reds- was just thinking with my 80+ yo parents in mind- they are both experienced skiers but my Dad is somewhat self taught and had his confidence knocked by a shoulder dislocation not that long ago- so probably not too many blacks/hard reds for him! Though the flipside is I suspect there's a lot more going on in Andermatt so if my parents wanted to ski part of the day and chill out in the village for the rest again Andermatt may be better and can always take the train back from wherever we end up skiing to the right hand side of the domain.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rogerdodger wrote:
Andermatt is a gem of an area. Not particularly well known to the British punters but those of us who know it generally love it.

+1 on this. Love Andermatt skiing. We took a guide and went off Gemsstock out of the ski area.

http://youtube.com/v/ZOP04dbDhbk
snow report
Fantastic for off piste although I would definitely recommend using a guide.

The only downside is that weekends can be very busy as it is so accessible by road and rail. It's about five years since I was last there and the Gemstock area is served primarily by two old cable cars. Big queues on Saturday and Sunday.
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Get the full Epic pass then you can sneak a week in the 3V, then one in the Brenta Dollies then one in Verbier too.

As I'll also have an Epic pass, where would you recommend in the Brenda's?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy