Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taxi between Avoriaz and Morzine

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

We're due to travel to Avoriaz next week.

I ordered PDS lift passes, albeit from the Morzine entity. These were supposed to be posted out to the UK, although has yet to be received!

I naively thought we would be able to pick these up in person when in Avoriaz but apparently not (the Morzine and Avoriaz ticket offices are separate).

Assuming the passes do not arrive in the post in the next few days my plan is to pick them up from the Pleney ticket office on the transfer from the airport to Avoriaz. There's a small chance however that we may not arrive before the office closes at 5pm and apparently we cannot collect the passes from the automated machine as we opted for the passes to be posted out instead.

If that happens then it looks like I'll be getting a taxi to Morzine and back first thing the next day. My question is how easy is it to pick up a taxi from Avoriaz to Morzine? Is it possible to walk up and grab one?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You won't need a taxi. Just walk to the Prodains gondole, buy a pedestrian single ticket to download from Avoriaz to Prodains and jump on the free/unticketed "A" bus in to Morzine. That will drop you just shy of the road up to the Pleney gondola base station and the ticket office that sits underneath it. Once you have your passes it's back to the same bus stop and jump back on the "A" bus back to Prodains. From there you can use your newly collected ski pass to gondola back up.

Not 100% sure the first bus time FROM Prodains but the first TO Prodains is I think 08:30. A taxi might let you trim a little time off that...but I don't think the lift pass office opens until 08:30 either.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ahh ok.

I believe the Pleney office opens from 8am.

My problem is that a few in our group have a ski lesson starting at 9:15am. May be a bit of a rush having to cram the Prodains gondole, bus, ticket office and back again before then!

May have to be a taxi in that case.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@MattJUK, I very, very much doubt you can just walk up and grab one.

And it's about a 40 minute drive ...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Definitely go with Mjit’s suggestion! And is the lesson starting at the top of Prodains anyway (often they do) or you could arrange that so there are minimum hold ups…
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think you could be pushing your luck to get down, tickets sorted, back up and to the lesson meet point for 09:15 even with a taxi (lessons seemed to be meeting either up on the plateau or outside the office in the Piou-Piou area in the middle of town, rather than by the EFS office next to Prodains/Changabang last week, so potentially a bit of a hike after the gondola too).

Plan B/C would probably be to just give a gallic shrug and have them buy day passes, with Avoriaz only ones probably being good-enough unless they are booked for something advanced (though make sure they tell their instructor that if you end up with that option!).

Hopefully though they'll drop on your door matt tomorrow/Friday morning and all this will be moot...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I’d ski down to the bottom of Prodains first thing and then get the first bus to Morzine Eh oh!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Prodains Express runs from 07.00 for pedestrians, buy a single from the vending machine and get the 07.45 down. First navette is 08.00 gets to Pleney 08.15. If there's no queue in the ticket office you could be back on the 08.30, in Prodains at 08.45 and at the top at 08.50. If you miss the 08.30 A-bus they're every seven minutes thereafter. Some classes meet at the ESF office at the top of the Prodains Express, otherwise the Plateau chair from the top of the Prodains Express takes five mins to get to the plateau meeting point, from where it's a couple of mins walk/ski down to the Piou-Piou meeting point. A taxi down and up would be no quicker. Plateau chair is open to pedestrians.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shep wrote:
Prodains Express runs from 07.00 for pedestrians, buy a single from the vending machine and get the 07.45 down. First navette is 08.00 gets to Pleney 08.15. If there's no queue in the ticket office you could be back on the 08.30, in Prodains at 08.45 and at the top at 08.50. If you miss the 08.30 A-bus they're every seven minutes thereafter. Some classes meet at the ESF office at the top of the Prodains Express, otherwise the Plateau chair from the top of the Prodains Express takes five mins to get to the plateau meeting point, from where it's a couple of mins walk/ski down to the Piou-Piou meeting point. A taxi down and up would be no quicker. Plateau chair is open to pedestrians.

Most of that sounds solid but I would change one thing - DON'T take the Plateau chair but ski down and take Tour. Unless there's a lunch time/home time length queue the difference in speed between the 2 chairs makes the Tour option much quicker - speaking as someone who had to get 2 yound children up from that end of town to the ski school meet point for 09:00 each day last week Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Do take the Plateau chair if they are beginners.
Getting off is pretty flat and it puts you roughly where you need to be for your lesson.
The Tour chair, while quicker requires the person do be able to ski back down to the ski school meeting point.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mjit wrote:
Most of that sounds solid but I would change one thing - DON'T take the Plateau chair but ski down and take Tour. Unless there's a lunch time/home time length queue the difference in speed between the 2 chairs makes the Tour option much quicker - speaking as someone who had to get 2 yound children up from that end of town to the ski school meet point for 09:00 each day last week Smile

What's Tour like during half term weeks? Last time I was in Avoriaz was new year week and it could often be a 20 minute wait.

Might have missed it, and could be obvious, but I'd say best for the OP to meet the rest of the party at the ESF meeting point, that way they can do the initial introductions etc. and maybe stall for time if needed...although I'd have thought it should just be okay if getting the bus at 8am
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
WindOfChange wrote:
Do take the Plateau chair if they are beginners.
Getting off is pretty flat and it puts you roughly where you need to be for your lesson.
The Tour chair, while quicker requires the person do be able to ski back down to the ski school meeting point.

Everyone's different but we had a first-week 6 year-old and a second-week 9 year-old who were fine with it by day 3, with the second-week one having already taken Tour/skied down in their ski school class by that point.

JailBaitMcFlude wrote:
What's Tour like during half term weeks? Last time I was in Avoriaz was new year week and it could often be a 20 minute wait.

Avoriaz seemed really quite last week, something the ski instructors agreed with so probably not a guide for 2023 but:
- For opening at 08:45 the queue for the gates to open was about half the length from the chairs back to the gates, so 4 or 5 minutes.
- Around lunch time it was back from the chairs, through the gates and to the ends of the netting queue lines and think the longest it took us to get through was 15 or 16 min.
- Afternoon skiiing was with nippers so more more Proclou side but we had a view over Tour/Stade/Lac-Intrets from our apartment and didn't see it much longer than the 15-20 min length, even at 'home time'.

All in all nothing I've not seen on any trip to the PdS at other times of the season in previous years.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was imagining MatJ not wanting to schlep skis to morzine and back, hence possibly needing to get to the plateau as a pedestrian. But yes, as @Mjit, says, everyone's different, and we don't know where he has to meet his party. I bet his passes landed on his doormat by now anyway! Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy