Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Favourite place in Austria with kids

Poster: A snowHead
I fancy giving Austria a crack. Mostly because their ski school is 2 sessions each day & so we can drop the fun clubs we’ve been using since 2. My only experience of Austria though has been lots of ski buses that I’m not sure works great for a will be 8 year old. So favourite place in Austria with kids & why (it’ll be his 4th year on skis)

Thank you x
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First of all, great choice. The all day ski school is a very good reason to ski in Austria, and make sure your kid has lunch with the instructor too so you‘re free to ski until 3pm!

As for places where you don’t need a ski bus, most of the well known resorts fit the bill. St. Anton, Lech, Obertauern and Serfaus are all super easy and have great ski schools. I’m sure there are plenty more, Sölden probably works well and Leogang looks great for learners. Just make sure your accommodation is in walking distance from the ski school meeting point. We used to leave everyone’s skis in a ski depot near the ski school so mornings are a doddle - get kids in their gear, drop them off, collect own skis and off you go. Do the reverse in the afternoon Razz
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

The all day ski school is a very good reason to ski in Austria

if you don't like your kids very much wink Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I like St Anton for many reasons, but its slopes aren’t the easiest, even the blues (in a non-pandemic era) are very busy. In my experience.

Recommendations for your needs:
Serfaus
Rohrmoos (Schladming)
Hochgurgl
Zurs
Alpbach - but avoid early or late in season.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Maria Alm - it's really chilled and pretty.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

The all day ski school is a very good reason to ski in Austria

if you don't like your kids very much wink Laughing

Haha you don’t have just the one who’d rather be hanging out at kids club then. We’ve 3 options. Never see the white stuff again; keep him busy with other little people until 2pm where’s he’ll be happy; or us only ride for the 1.5 hrs between ski school drop off & pick up. Option 2 seems to make everyone the happiest.

Thanks for this guys. Some research to be done x I used to go to Elmau / Scheffau on school trips in primary school for 10 days at a time & I remember all day ski school then & don’t ever remember being exhausted & grumpy. Teachers may have thought otherwise Eh oh!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Many 8 year olds who've been skiing for 4 years are pretty good company out on the slopes in the afternoons. A few more years and you won't see him for dust. Obviously it all depends on the family dynamic, but skiing together in the afternoons after everybody has done their thing in the morning seemed to me a fun part of the holiday.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We used to collect the kids after ski school at 3pm and take them for another hour of skiing when they were still learning. Later on, once they could keep up with us, we added a full day with them either at the beginning or the end of the holiday. That way everyone was happy and got to make the most of skiing at their own level. As someone who got taught by her dad, I would definitely have preferred ski school!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
‘I remember all day ski school then & don’t ever remember being exhausted & grumpy.’

The daughters used to bounce on the sofas in our holiday apartment after a day of skiing. They seem to have endless energy at that age!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
St Johann in Tirol!
Great ski school, small enough you can keep an eye on them if you want to (either skiing past, or going over their heads in the gondola). They always said where they’d stop for lunch (with €10 in their pocket) so I could meet them, but if I did my son (9) pretty much pretended not to know me. Enough to keep you occupied and if you only do ski school for part of the week then there’s also the bus to Steinplatte which has a great fun park for an 8 year old, or train to Kitz.
Like it so much we might go for a third time next year
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We're off to Kuhtai end of March, can let you know then...

Cons
Quite a small resort for the grownups, so possibly not for everyone... also when we went before there were loads of buttons in case you have boarders with you, but i think nany of these are now replaced?

Pros
Only 30-40 mins from Innsbruck, so no long transfer after flying. Small resort = never far from anywhere, plus most accommodation is near as ski-in, ski-out and most provide lunch, so less need to eat on the mountain
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@EarthWindandWater, Kuhtai is a nice compact resort - but the pistes are very red. We went a few years back (kids in their 2nd week) and whilst the ski school set-up was great, the pistes were quite tough for them. We did actually go down to Hoch Oetz on the last day (same lift pass) which was a nice change with some genuine blues and tree lined runs. The lift system in Kuhtai was pretty good (we certainly didn't use any buttons / T-bars).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Am off to Kaprun on Friday with our 4 and 7 year old so can review later. Kaprun looks to have a pretty decent ski area with the Alpin Pass (many parts needing a ski bus from Kaprun thou) and about 1hr from Salzburg. Supposed to be quieter and more family orientated so will see!
We're with the kids first time skiing so I dont expect to get a huge amount of skiing done my self just sticking to the glacier area as kids only have 2.5hr private lessons in the AM. Prob put them in proper ski school next time we go but this is our "tester" visit so most afternoons will be with them on nursery slopes/ seeing how they progress.

https://www.kitzsteinhorn.at/en/winter/information/ski-map-opening-times
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have a look at Kappl. You will need to book direct as no UK tour operator does it but it has a great kids area mid mountain. You're just up the road from Ischgl, so you could spend some time there too. Spent 3 great holidays with the kids there when they were younger, albeit not in ski school. We tended to get lessons on local dry slope and ski school for first 2 holidays - thereafter we skied with them. It's not long before they ski better than you. My younger 2 kids (18 and 21) are both now ski instructors Very Happy

Have a look at Serfaus too. Have never been but know folk who have been and thought it was great for kids.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Suggest you take a look at Surfaus - Fiss - Ladis. Big modern resort - top 10
most visited in Europe - but relatively unknown in U.K., and very child friendly. Hotels have great facilities for kids and they have gold standard ski school. Kids are central to all aspects of the resorts including playgrounds at mountain restaurants. We’ve been on four occasions in February and it’s where our kids first skiied. There are a few others on showheads that have been and will recommend. Try searching Serfaus.
latest report
just (on Sunday) back from Kappl (driving)
-excellent family resort
-brilliant snow at the moment
-impressed with ski school=proper selection to establish level of skills, flexibility with hours/days
-plenty of all sort of accomodations in close proximity of the slope
-lovely village with decent size shop
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy