Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hidden couloir in Courchevel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Many years ago, whilst descending from Saulire towards Courchevel, the guys I was with made a sudden left turn into some trees. A moment later we were standing on the edge of what they called the hidden or hanging couloir. Right in the middle between pistes and hidden in trees. You stood at the side and to your right was a gap between two rocks about 1.5m wide - too narrow to go through sideways. The only option was to jump down onto the track and shoot between the two rocks. It immediately opened out and you could control your descent. After a short but somewhat exhilarating descent, you suddenly pitched out onto a piste and had to turn right to go down to Courchevel 1800, 1850, I have no recollection which.

I've been back and looked for this hanging / hidden couloir but never found it.

I promise I was sober and had taken no hallucinatory drugs or even smoked weed at the time.

Does anyone know of the existence of this cute well-hidden gem?

Cheers

Huggie Duggie
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you mean from Saulire? There aren't many trees coming down from Saulire.
I did a season in Courchevel and spent most of my time off piste and I can't place anything quite as dramatic as you describe. I wonder if it is actually somewhere between 1850 and 1650 dropping down into the valley between. Could just about be over towards La Tania.
Think you are going to have to narrow down the area a bit
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I also did a couple of seasons in Courchevel and don't remember anything like you describe. I can't imagine it being on the descent from Saulire to Courchevel because as @jedster says, there are very few trees.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I appreciate that there are not many trees above pralong, but as I remember, from the altiport @ 2007m down there are lots of trees, though the slope is mainly to the right (looking down) which would not be right.

I looked for it about 5 years ago but couldn't find it Sad

The fact that it was hard to find and that it was thirty years ago when I last skied it makes it all the more difficult to find any information.

However - it was there and I skied it with a group and would love to know if anyone else has been down it?

Have a GREAT day
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dougski wrote:
I appreciate that there are not many trees above pralong, but as I remember, from the altiport @ 2007m down there are lots of trees, though the slope is mainly to the right (looking down) which would not be right.

I looked for it about 5 years ago but couldn't find it Sad

The fact that it was hard to find and that it was thirty years ago when I last skied it makes it all the more difficult to find any information.

However - it was there and I skied it with a group and would love to know if anyone else has been down it?

Have a GREAT day

I'm a bit hazy on the exact topography but that area that drops off piste between 1800 and 1650 is near the Altiport. I think I've dropped in from the 1650 side down steep gulleys but nothing quite as dramatic as you describe. I'm sorry it was a LONG time ago.
If I were you I'd get hold of FATMAPS and explore virtually
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I did a couple of seasons in Courchevel and think I've done this one too, or something similar we called Hidden Valley. Short and steep decent onto a track - it was on the 1650 side of the valley between 1650 and Altiport. (Almost due east of Altiport on the map). My route sounds like Jedsters route.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not confused with the "Piste Perdue" in Val d'Isere?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, no trees at entrace to piste perdue
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fifiskis wrote:
I did a couple of seasons in Courchevel and think I've done this one too, or something similar we called Hidden Valley. Short and steep decent onto a track - it was on the 1650 side of the valley between 1650 and Altiport. (Almost due east of Altiport on the map). My route sounds like Jedsters route.

That's the one
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
surely offpisteskiing will know this?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@8611, initial description doesn't fit with anything, but the hidden valley is probably the best guess from the description - various entries of varying width and steepness, and it spits you out onto Roc Mugnier...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
it sounds like the piste perdue in val d'isere to me ?

http://youtube.com/v/NeIQAJeCJ_I
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Haggis_Trap wrote:
it sounds like the piste perdue in val d'isere to me ?

http://youtube.com/v/NeIQAJeCJ_I

That looks great! Very Happy

We have hiked it in summer but not skied it rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Piste Perdue is almost flat but great fun. Very different from the "exhilarating" route described, where the start is tight and then opens out. There is a somewhat comparable canyon to the Piste Perdue on the left side of the Marmolada glacier.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy