Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aosta valley park and ski next week

Poster: A snowHead
Will be staying in Aosta for a few days late next week.

Going to ski 1 day in Pila. Then planning to drive to some other resorts. Keen to maximize time on the slopes - so ease of parking is key. Happy to get up really early if needed. Ski level? Eternal intermediate British dad skier (you know the type) + improving teenager.

Any recommendations on where to go and where to park? La Thuile? Courmayeur?

Any other Snowheads in the area?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@frejul,

Courmayeur - park at Dolonne, lift rises from carpark.

likewise Frachey above Champoluc
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In La Thuile there's a car park ("Parcheggio Piazza del mercato") in Frazione Entreves between the river and the back of the Planibel centre. It's maybe 200m walk from the gondola.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agree with both the above, and would add, take the autostrada and pay the small toll from Aosta rather than the non toll road which takes ages, on the toll road it’s probably 25-30 mins to Courmayuer and 10 more to La Thuile as you need to go up the mountain with a few hairpins.
There’s a free car park at Dolonne less than 5 mins walk from the gondola, apart from Wednesday when’s its market day.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the tips. To speed things up I may even drop by these places the night before, scope out the parking and grab lift passes from the vending machines.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@frejul, I wouldn’t bother, the map app on your phone will take you there easily, and there won’t be much of a wait to get your pass. There is an Aosta valley pass that allows you to ski any resort any day, have a look on the valleys website, it may be more expensive than buying daily pass at each resort though.
What I would do is spend some time looking at the piste maps, for me the best skiing is away from the centre runs in La Thuile, and at the top of Courmayuer bubble lift.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had a week doing this in 2020. You obviously need to be up early to factor in the drive to resorts (except Pila), but we had a great week.

Courmayeur was least favourite, but found easy free parking near Dolonne lift. La Thuile is great, loads of skiing, and big car park near gondola. Champoluc also for Monterosa, although Frachey maybe work the extra 5 mins drive to the funicular (both have parking near lift) which saves having to do the black run from Champ to Frachey, which has a steep narrow bit at the top - depending on how improving your teenager is or how eternal your inter skills! Great resort, worth the extra driving time, but avoid if windy.
Cervinia also a longer drive, but you may think worth it. we didn't go there so cant advise on parking. Pila is decent resort too and you can park free near gondal base to save tramping in Ski boots from Aosta town.

We found buying passes on the day cheaper than the Aosta Valley pass.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
t44tomo wrote:
I had a week doing this in 2020. You obviously need to be up early to factor in the drive to resorts (except Pila), but we had a great week.

Courmayeur was least favourite, but found easy free parking near Dolonne lift. La Thuile is great, loads of skiing, and big car park near gondola. Champoluc also for Monterosa, although Frachey maybe work the extra 5 mins drive to the funicular (both have parking near lift) which saves having to do the black run from Champ to Frachey, which has a steep narrow bit at the top - depending on how improving your teenager is or how eternal your inter skills! Great resort, worth the extra driving time, but avoid if windy.
Cervinia also a longer drive, but you may think worth it. we didn't go there so cant advise on parking. Pila is decent resort too and you can park free near gondal base to save tramping in Ski boots from Aosta town.

We found buying passes on the day cheaper than the Aosta Valley pass.

Thanks for the tips. Yes - I'd noticed that individual passes seemed cheaper than the valley pass.

My eternal intermediate skills have always got me down any black in unglamourous style. Teenager already has better technique but is as yet largely untested on lumpy black runs. So will watch out for the one you mentioned.

Teenager is used to me dragging him out earler - doing something similar in the Tarantaise one year - had him out of a studio in Champagny in time to drive (30 mins) and get the first lift up out of La Tania.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
geoffknight wrote:
@frejul, I wouldn’t bother, the map app on your phone will take you there easily, and there won’t be much of a wait to get your pass. There is an Aosta valley pass that allows you to ski any resort any day, have a look on the valleys website, it may be more expensive than buying daily pass at each resort though.
What I would do is spend some time looking at the piste maps, for me the best skiing is away from the centre runs in La Thuile, and at the top of Courmayuer bubble lift.

Thanks. But am stuck in essentially what looks a lot like a Premier Inn on an industrial estate with a teenager who no doubt will be glued to his phone in the evenings. A meandering drive to neighbouring towns in the evenings may be a nice diversion!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
frejul wrote:

My eternal intermediate skills have always got me down any black in unglamourous style. Teenager already has better technique but is as yet largely untested on lumpy black runs. So will watch out for the one you mentioned.

In that case you'll be fine, it was classed as a red until a year or two ago. Its only one short narrow section is where the biggest challenge is weaving between those who decided to give it a go but really shouldn't have, so either stood in the way plucking up the courage or picking themselves up after a slip. A slide slip and a couple of unglamourous turns sees you out of trouble to enjoy what is then a lovely wide flowing red run.

http://youtube.com/v/Wnf_HFzFs1s
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
t44tomo wrote:
frejul wrote:

In that case you'll be fine, it was classed as a red until a year or two ago. Its only one short narrow section is where the biggest challenge is weaving between those who decided to give it a go but really shouldn't have, so either stood in the way plucking up the courage or picking themselves up after a slip. A slide slip and a couple of unglamourous turns sees you out of trouble to enjoy what is then a lovely wide flowing red run.

Ooohh - that looks nice. I think even teenager should be OK with that.

And promise we won't block the narrow bit!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@frejul, I'll be staying in Aosta not far from the gondola for a week from Wednesday night this week. Probably get Pila skipass and then get two away days in the Aosta Valley. Was thinking La Thuile and maybe Courmayeur. Will have to assess weather situation for away days and best skiing in low visibility. But starting in Pila, Thurs and Friday I reckon. Will have wife and 4 year old son also along. I'm a fairly confident skier. Anyway happy to meet up when you are in Pila, pm me your itinerary.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don’t bother parking in Champoluc itself if you do that area. Drive straight to Frachey, parking is much closer to the lift. And it’s quicker to access the whole area from there. Don’t know why anyone would suggest staring from Champoluc, other than they don’t know much about the area tbh.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Re lift passes. You don’t necessarily need the whole valley pass.
A “Pila” pass valid for 3-5 days will give you one day in another resort. 6-(I think)11 gives you 2 days.
They don’t always tell you this at the ticket office.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oops. Sorry. Just read more carefully and realised you’ve worked this out anyway!
snow conditions
Well we've been, we've skied and now are back - skied Pila, La Thuile and Breuil-Cervinia. Thanks again for all the tips.

Some good conditions at altitude in both La Thuile and Cervinia. However, below about 1700m things got a bit "tate and lyle" (sugary / granular stuff). Although we managed the runs all the way down to both La Thuile and Valtournenche.

Quick tip - Valtournenche lift pass office were really picky about wanting to see passport for youth (<18 skier) pass. La Thuile didn't care. Did manage to use the app for Pila but it kept crashing for the others so ended up queuing.

First time skiing in Italy - and noticed the black pistes were more frequently groomed than in France. Hardly saw a mogul.

Didn't like all those little orange speed cameras on the roads! Half the time it wasn't clear what the speed limit was.
latest report
@frejul - I'm thinking of doing a very similar trip in the next week or two, flying in / out of Milan, so this thread is proving very helpful.

Did you drive from the UK or hire a car locally? I'm assuming chains weren't necessary, but winter tyres still were?

I was thinking of staying in Aosta too. Would you recommend where you stayed or do you wish you'd sorted out something less industrial?
snow conditions
@jebroni3_16, I doubt if the average hired car from Milan has winter tyres. Depending on the forecast, you might well need chains. Though unlikely for Aosta. The town doesn't feel particularly "industrial" - it's quite an interesting place and the centre is nice to wander around.
ski holidays
Rented car via Autoeurope at Milan MXP. Went for Budget/Avis who weren't the cheapest but pick up is practically in the terminal and they didn't push the extras hard.

Autoeurope do a rental package including chains - but you may need to remind the folks at the airport desk that you've paid for them. However, chances of needing to put them on are pretty low. If there was a big dump of snow making access to La Thuile or Cervinia difficult - you'd probably be better off staying put and skiing Pila anyway. If the roads are snowed up and you need chains to get in - it would probably eat up most of the morning getting in into La Thuile or Cervinia and parking.

Aosta itself is only at 600m - and there's a gondola right up to Pila. I would recommend getting there before 8:30 to avoid the rush.

We stayed at Hotel Express Aosta. If you want somewhere functional - so you can hit the slopes early it's fine.
snow conditions
@frejul, what's the toll price to La Thule? 8:30am to beat the rush in Aosta, now that's early, I thought Pila is quiet most days or was that the weekend?
snow report
Toll to La Thuile was about £10.

Pila was Friday and 8:30 was when lots of people (including a few coaches for UK school trips) started parking up at the gondola base.

I'm not saying it would be a huge wait. And it was quiet compared to the other places.
snow report
Thanks for the heads up about tyres and advice about Aosta @Origen

And thank you @frejul for pretty much doing a dummy run for me so I could stop researching now. But I probably won't!

I have zero experience of putting snow chains on, let alone driving on them, which was one of the reasons Aosta / Pila appealed to me.

I definitely wouldn't be looking to get to Cervinia, as I've boarded over to there from Zermatt a few times (or Courmayeur as I got the coach there for a couple of days last season), but was considering La Thuile and Champoluc / Gressoney, especially the latter if I go the week after next as that's when / where the GnarliBuG Bash is taking place.

I should hope the roads and pistes will be a little quieter, as the UK half-term will be over (even if France and Switzerland's won't be).

Oh and I'm glad your trip seems to have been a success too Little Angel
latest report
It's vanishingly unlikely that you'd need chains in Aosta - and if the weather was that extreme the whole place would have ground to a halt anyway. The busyness of the gondola varies and I don't have much experience of it - it was quiet during the week when we were there, but we certainly didn't go early - we were probably after the rush! It is busier at weekends.

La Thuile should be OK except in really heavy weather again, when it would be best to stay in Pila, as you suggest.
snow conditions
re chains / winter tyres....

From Milan or Turin you would only get winters tyres on a larger higher spec car, the basic "winterisation" is snow chains in the boot (to satisfy local regulations). That said to Aosta town its all motorway and below 600m, so it would have to be some pretty special snowmaggeden event timed exactly with your arrival / departure time to have to fit them. La Thuile and Champoluc / Frachey are "up the side valley" drives and top out at 1500/1600m with the steepest rises just as you leave the main valley, i.e at the lower elevations, higher up the gradients are much shallower. As long as you look at local weather forecasts and be sensible about when / if you travel, you will almost certainly be driving on snow free roads and have no need to fit chains and be fine driving on standard tyres.

That said its sensible to have watched the odd you-tube video on how to fit them just in case.

as @Pam_w says above Aosta town centre is quite charming and a proper town as opposed to a ski resort village. I'd be tempted to stay centrally somewhere with parking, and then you can drive to the Pila Gondola (loads of free parking) / elsewhere of a morning.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 21-02-24 14:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
While you are very unlikely to need to use chains / winter specific tyres if you’re staying in Aosta, there is a local legal requirement to have one or the other from (I think) 15/10 to 15/3 within the Val d’Aosta.
snow report
@frejul, thanks, might take other road to La Thuile then unless Maps says a big difference. I haven't been on a lift at 8:30am in a long time, my 4 year old doesn't do time! I might beat the rush coming later on. First day tomorrow, snow on the way, looking good.
snow report
I know it's been a while since I had to hire a car, but I'm royally confused by what the AutoEurope packages actually include.

Does AutoEurope's Full Damage & Theft Protection cover you for absolutely everything or if something bad happens, are you still on the hook for an excess?

And is that what you might want a third party policy to cover?!
snow conditions
@jebroni3_16, all hire companies fleece you either for buying their additional cover, or huge fines if you don’t.
The easy solution is to buy cover here before you go, we have an annual policy for about £35, I use Moneysavingexpert website to search for the best deal. Once you have it just say to clerk when picking up car you have your own policy, they will still block out a value on your card until you return.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Peter Ross, pay the toll, I came back from Pila late afternoon to Courmayuer, it took nearly twice as long as on the autostrada, it’s a slow road through hamlet after hamlet with speed traps.
latest report
geoffknight wrote:
@jebroni3_16, all hire companies fleece you either for buying their additional cover, or huge fines if you don’t.
The easy solution is to buy cover here before you go, we have an annual policy for about £35, I use Moneysavingexpert website to search for the best deal. Once you have it just say to clerk when picking up car you have your own policy, they will still block out a value on your card until you return.

Yeah, and as tight as I am, hire cars has always been one of the places I've been "happy" to overpay slightly for peace of mind.

I used to holiday in the States a fair bit, and tended to book direct with Hertz and pay them for full bells & whistles cover, so that if anything went wrong, I'd know I'd be covered and only have 1 company to deal with. It never did (*touch wood*) and I never regretted paying that bit extra for the peace of mind. A bit like the local insurance with a lift pass, even though I've got Winter Sports cover on my travel insurance.

I was just trying to get my head around AutoEurope and their policy as much as anything and I think I have: they're effectively a search engine and a broker and they're the third party you're paying to reduce your excess liability to zero. Although you do have to pay it and claim it back. At least, I think that's right.
latest report
frejul wrote:
Rented car via Autoeurope at Milan MXP. Went for Budget/Avis who weren't the cheapest but pick up is practically in the terminal and they didn't push the extras hard.

Me again!

I can see from Milan Malpensa's own website that Budget / Avis are apparently based in both Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 (which easyjet use).

When you say that pickup is practically in the terminal, I'm guessing that you were able to do all the paperwork side of things in Terminal 2, but still had to walk / get shuttle to where the rental cars were actually situated?

Whilst I don't think I'll risk an off-site rental company (especially as they often operate office opening hours and the risk of the arrival flight being delayed), my preference would be for a company who are only based in Terminal 1. However, if that means getting a shuttle there and then another shuttle to collect the vehicle... Puzzled
snow report
@jebroni3_16, There used to be a rental centre in the train station at T2, I last used it Feb 2020, may well have changed since Covid, we used Hertz, booking direct to get guaranteed winter tyres and 4x4, bit more expensive, but nice knowing there wouldn’t be the need to faff about with chains.
latest report
Thanks @geoffknight. Looks like they and the rental centre are still there.

For others, the Malpensa Airport official site is surprisingly good, despite its initial slightly amateur appearance, and has a HUGE amount of information about each of the rental car companies. Much more than some of the companies' respective webpages contain in fact.
snow report
jebroni3_16 wrote:
frejul wrote:

Me again!

I can see from Milan Malpensa's own website that Budget / Avis are apparently based in both Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 (which easyjet use).

When you say that pickup is practically in the terminal, I'm guessing that you were able to do all the paperwork side of things in Terminal 2, but still had to walk / get shuttle to where the rental cars were actually situated?

Whilst I don't think I'll risk an off-site rental company (especially as they often operate office opening hours and the risk of the arrival flight being delayed), my preference would be for a company who are only based in Terminal 1. However, if that means getting a shuttle there and then another shuttle to collect the vehicle... Puzzled

Rent from whichever terminal you are flying into - you haven't really made that clear.

I flew into T1 in Jan (BA), it was a short walk from arrivals - turn left, down a lift and along to the car rental desks, bish bosh on paperwork, most of which is prefilled now if you do the advance check in, and then a very short walk to the parking to get the car.

T2 has its own separate car hire area, you don't get bussed from one to the other if the car hire firm is shown as "in terminal" for your respective terminal.
ski holidays
No, but you can get the standard airport shuttle from T2 to T1 if the hire car company you wish to use is only based in T1... as my preference is.

What I was trying to check earlier was whether the companies with desks in both terminals still just booked from the same pool of vehicles and whether you'd effectively end up having to travel to that or whether it would be on foot.

But I was able to find more information on Malpensa's own website. Hence my subsequent post with that link.
snow conditions
geoffknight wrote:
Agree with both the above, and would add, take the autostrada and pay the small toll from Aosta rather than the non toll road which takes ages, on the toll road it’s probably 25-30 mins to Courmayuer and 10 more to La Thuile as you need to go up the mountain with a few hairpins.

You clearly drive a lot quicker in Italy than I do (and probably the same in the UK to be fair) as it didn't take that much longer for me when I did the return journeys on the regional roads in comparison to the autostrade to both resorts. Plus I quite enjoyed the little village it passed through.

The long tunnel sections on the autostrade were probably my least enjoyable bit of driving during my week, and I've got a reasonable amount of experience driving on the other side of the road in France, Germany and the States.

Also resented the fact you come off much earlier for La Thuile than Courmayeur but still pay the same €11.80 fixed fee. Can't work out what difference it might have made tome-wise when going to La Thuile if I'd stayed on to Courmayeur exit and come back from there.

Just adding this for reference really for those who aren't in a rush or don't want to keep paying tolls and might Drive Miss Daisy like me Laughing
snow report
KNoceros wrote:
While you are very unlikely to need to use chains / winter specific tyres if you’re staying in Aosta, there is a local legal requirement to have one or the other from (I think) 15/10 to 15/3 within the Val d’Aosta.

Dates this year are 15th October to 15th April for anyone heading out in next month. Think it might be these dates every year now.
latest report
Also for future reference, hire car companies with desks in train station at Terminal 2 at Milan Malpensa: Europcar, Sixt, Enterprise, National, Alamo, Locauto, Hertz, Dollar, Thrifty, Budget, Maggiore, Avis

Although looking at my reference photos, you might want to check opening times of the last 3 as they appeared closed at around 2.30pm

Having taken the shuttle to Terminal 1 to kill time yesterday, can confirm the rental car address there was a lot busier (admittedly on a Friday afternoon), but that sticking to renting from Terminal 2 was the right choice. So, thanks @geoffknight, @Origen, @under a new name, @wsirhc, @t44tomo and @KNoceros for all the advice and to @frejul for starting the thread!

I'll shut up now Blush
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy