Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ellmau (Skiwelt) Early March - What to know/do?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Longtime lurker-turned-poster here! I'm heading off to Ellmau in 3 weeks (7-10Mar on the slopes) with the Mrs - I'm relatively experienced (grew up skiing), she isn't but is taking to it quite well so I figured Skiwelt would be the best of both worlds here. If the snow conditions do take a turn for the worse we have a car so will be open to driving up to an hour one way daily for better skiing.

That said, any tips and pointers/places to eat and drink while we are out there! Also happy to link up with other snowheads while we are out there! TIA!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mclovin, There will be plenty of other Dutch based folk to make you feel at home. Given that the slopes above Ellmau are all north facing conditions should still be pretty good. If you think you might fancy trying some of the other nearby areas get a "super ski card" it is not much more than the SkiWelt one. Kitzbühel is linked to SkiWelt though it is a fair way from Ellmau, you might be better driving to the Fleckalmbahn near Kirchberg to save any issues with concerns about getting back. St Johann in Tirol is pretty small so probably not worth the effort. Slightly further is Fieberbrunn which is part of Saalbach-Hinterglemm and is worth a visit. The Rödelbahn in Söll is well worth a visit (floodlit too), I believe there are busses back to Ellmau if you fancy a post slide drink or two.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've just returned from Ellmau. Small but pretty village with easy access to both nursery slopes and the main Hartkaiser gondola. Lots of lovely slopes...watch out on the long blue from the top of the gondola to the bottom tho... Some people bomb it down and I was nearly taken out twice. And I saw the black (directly below the gondola) claim a few victims...looked pretty steep from the lift!

You can ski round to Scheffau and beyond (Soll, Hopfgarten and Westendorf). I didn't manage to avoid the gully that is run 99 the and back tho.. Was a bit of a funnel with lots struggling on the camber, so if anyone knows how to get to Scheffau and back avoiding this run I'd love to know as I'm going back in March! Very Happy ).

The runs directly opposite the top of the Hartkaiser are nice (blues and reds), as are those in Scheffau, including the long blue to the bottom. Access to Scheffau (from the dreaded 99) seemed to be a ski route, with a 'blink and you miss it' sign, but once you spot it, it's a gentle road leading to the main piste.

Don't miss Going too... Some lovely runs on that side and easy to get to using the nursery button lifts.

In terms of huts, there are loads of good ones...I particularly like Tanzenboden (I think that's what it's called) on the Scheffau side, but everywhere is pretty good.

Where are you staying? I can recommend the Claudia pension (with dinner at the nearby Hochfilzer) if on a package. It's also directly in front of the nursery slope and has a bus stop for quick access to the gondola.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In town, Memory restaurant is great but definitely book as it is busy. Das Oachkätzel is also decent.

Ellmauer Hof at the bottom of the nursery slopes is a nice place for a beer at the end of skiing.

Up on the mountain I like the Kummereralm. Tanzbodenalm is also good.

Don’t forget to check out the Igloo at lunchtime. Nice deckchairs and often a DJ smashing out some tunes.

Taxis to Söll are about 20 euros and the night tobogganing is brilliant. Wear ski clothes!

As has been mentioned, Kitzbühel is about 20 minutes away. Worth a day trip and make sure you finish with aprés in The Londoner. Great fun if the band is on.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all for the input!

We are driving out there with a night stop in Munich so we can get on the roads early in the morning, aiming to get in at around 8ish on the 6th. We have passes booked for Skiwelt for 7-11 but may look to get a pass for Kitzbuhel for the 6th - unless the skipasses at skiwelt aren't date-bound (anyone know?)

What is the drive in from Munich side like? Are they typically good with the snow or will I be looking at putting chains on?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@mclovin, I assume you have winter tyres, very unlikely indeed that you will need snow chains. Unless there is a complete snowmageddon episode (extremely unlikely in March) the roads will be clear. The roads are busy every Saturday morning. If you plan on being in Ellmau for 08:00 you need to leave Munich before 06:00. Personally I would upgrade your passes to include Kitzbühel etc for the period you are there.

@Ctina, there is a path ski route from the bottom of the Schmiedalm drag lift straight back to Scheffau. It needs good snow conditions as it is a path through the woods with no snow canons but if in condition it is the easiest and quickest way back to Scheffau. Not only does it avoid the black section on the upper part of the home run but also the bit many find tricky with ice / slush (especially when busy) just above the base station.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @munich_irish I didn't do 88 last week so will have a look in a few weeks when I'm back! Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
munich_irish wrote:
@mclovin, I assume you have winter tyres, very unlikely indeed that you will need snow chains. Unless there is a complete snowmageddon episode (extremely unlikely in March) the roads will be clear. The roads are busy every Saturday morning. If you plan on being in Ellmau for 08:00 you need to leave Munich before 06:00. Personally I would upgrade your passes to include Kitzbühel etc for the period you are there.

@Ctina, there is a path ski route from the bottom of the Schmiedalm drag lift straight back to Scheffau. It needs good snow conditions as it is a path through the woods with no snow canons but if in condition it is the easiest and quickest way back to Scheffau. Not only does it avoid the black section on the upper part of the home run but also the bit many find tricky with ice / slush (especially when busy) just above the base station.

Thanks for the heads up! Is it possible to upgrade passes we've already paid for?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

@Ctina, there is a path ski route from the bottom of the Schmiedalm drag lift straight back to Scheffau.

Which is handy because the Rübezahlalm is very nice.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks @musher will check it out!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@mclovin, no idea I am afraid
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Paddy's Shebeen (run by a Dutch-Irish guy IIRC) is a good place for a couple of beers - https://www.wilderkaiser.info/en/ellmau/info/paddys-shebeen-irish-pub.html
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy