Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best bootfitters in Morzine? Buy in the UK or in resort?

Poster: A snowHead
OK so i have been skiing all my life (23) about 1 week a year. I am a competent enough skier.

After skiing K2 Fours for a few years with hire boots since i grew out of my boots, I picked up a used pair of Nordica's Hot Rod Nitrous ski for cheap. Am going to Morzine for a week and need new boots to match. Got a budget up to 200quid, looking for all-mountain boots that are comfortable and offer good performance and shelf life.

two options

1) Filarinskis in Havant, Hamps (or other UK shop) - a few have recommended them and the guy on the phone was very pleasant. Pros - seems to be that i can get the boots fitted, bindings sorted etc before the holiday. less hassle, more skiing time. Cons - UK always seems to cost more, Filarinskis don't seem to have any last year deals, won't be able to try on the slope before paying.

2) A resort shop in Morzine/Les Gets - Pros - get the boots fitted, potential for last years models, can try before buy and have changes made etc, perhaps offset cost against hiring if decide i like/don't like the boots at the end of it. Cons - most of the guys have their own kit so will be on the slopes fast. Don't want to miss too much skiing time sorting my boots out.

i guess what i am looking for is advice on

a) Buy at home or in resort? - seen many different opinions on this using the search function

b) Best bootfitters in Morzine/Les Gets?

Thnks all for your help
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oh....and as far as i can tell i don't have particularly unsual or difficult feet....UK size 11 seem normal width etc

thanks
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Seems to be cheaper in the UK atm, if that makes much difference...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is a chap at Hubert Sports, just off the main street on the Supermorzine side. He seems to be the shop owner - in his 50s I think. He fixed my wife's boots and she was very happy with them afterwards.

(He speaks little English so if your French isn't great make sure he grabs one of his assistants, who do speak English).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999 wrote:
Seems to be cheaper in the UK atm, if that makes much difference...

is that a facet of exchange rate? Filarinskis didn't seem to have any specials/sales on, was kinda hoping to get a deal on last seasons model or something - seems like that is most likely in resort

Thanks - will remember Huberts, any other suggestions?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

looking for all-mountain boots that are comfortable and offer good performance and shelf life

Wouldnt be certain but think that might be allot to ask for £200 ? Last year before heading out to Morzine I bought my (admittedly expensive) Salomon Ghosts before leaving, was glad I did because they were at least £100 more expensive out there. There may be bargains to be found out there if your not too picky about what boot you want, but I would be cautious about buying out there, if you get there and find there arent any bargains your then going to have to rent, and lose out on a weeks skiing in the new ones you end up getting at home!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's an English guy called Keith at a shop called Ski Warehouse near the Super Morzine who seems pretty good - has sorted out a couple of my mates who are all happy with the results. Agree that £200 might not get you much especially if you want footbeds ets.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys, dropped Huberts an email

Will check out ski warehouse

Budget could maybe stretch up a bit, i am trying to not spend money in the pub for the next month to get it up to 300!

Any more opinioins on pros/cons buying here and there and any more tips on good bootfitters in Morzine?

I know its probably down to the fitter and their stock, but any suggestions or tips on boots in this budget to look at/be aware of?

Any suggestions on particular features such as footbeds to look out for?

Fairly aggressive, slightly above average skier, 180, 6'2m skiing 178 Nitrous'

Cheers
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SkiG - you make a good point. I guess i am more swung towards buying here beforehand, get the most of the ski time.

As long as i am comfortable i don't think i am good enough a skier that i will notice a huge difference in performance between different brands/models of properly fitted new boots, probably just notice a huge difference in fit/performance between custom and rented boots.....is this a fair assessment?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not sure about fitting but i had fantastic service from filarinski's (specifically a girl, can't remember her name)last year, if they fit boots as well as the provide customer service then they'd be good.

But then again they may not.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mylespe by buying here you also take the stress out of not being able to find a boot that fits at a price you want to pay in resort. There is no guarantee that the resort will have any "offers" and I have never seen full price boots cheaper in resort than here in the UK (and, having bought a new pair of boots last year I continue to look just so I can feel smug - its the kind of saddo I am!) so you could end up paying considerably more.

Boot fitting takes some time (a couple of hours or so) so I agree with you that it is best to spend that time here, away from the slopes, rather than use your precious (and paid for) holiday time. Even if you get them fitted during non skiing hours there must be something else you would prefer to spend that time doing (drinking, sauna, snoozing etc).

The difference between hire boots and a pair custom fitted to your own feet is huge and you will feel a massive difference in contact with the ski and thus control.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mylespe, I'm not aware of any particularly good fitters in Morzine. At least, not to the level of SmallZooKeeper (Chamonix) or CEM (Bicester). I think that there are advantages to buying in resort - you can ski and go back for more tuning...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mylespe, just back from morzine...i brought out a new set of black crow navis and '09 marker dukes which i wanted mounted...there wasn't ONE shop that could mount them for me!!!!!!??????? NOT ONE...... i was fcuking astonished....thank christ i brought out another pair of skis or i would've had to hire a set of shitty piste skis as thats all anyone seems to ski there....i know you are after boots, but if there isn't a shop that has the jig for '09 dukes, i woudn't hold out much hope for anything....if i were you, i would forget morzine and get a pair in the uk....

okbye
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowpatrol, odd. did you try absolutely everywhere? did you find a shop selling Marker?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mylespe, the other big question would be do you live near a snowdome? Or even dryslope for that matter? You could buy the boots then ski a couple of hours, if you then needed the boots adjusted you could bring them back to the shop before heading out to Morzine. Not the same as buying in resort but a reasonable compromise. Would definitely get some advice from the knowledgable folk about what sort of boot would suit you. I think you would be surprised the different way boots can feel.

Just for the record, more like £325 so above your target range, but for an all mountain boot I absolutely love my Salomon Ghosts, great fit, very responsive, and I would describe myself as very similiar to you ( although about 10 lbs heavier). If you are pushing the budget I would definitely say try a pair on!
latest report
budget smudget - buy the right boots and have no preconcenived idea of what you think you might like . I got some fischers as my last boots - no idea why but they are great and the boot fitter was great too. my bro paid upwards of £600 for his boots I paid £200 we both have over 30 years experience. we have dramtically different feet though! I always take my mates to mont vert in les gets , its not techy but they are friendly and offer a good service and speak good ebnglish - willie from doorstep skis in morzine might be able to offer good advice on an english speaking bootfitter
snow report
Quote:

and speak good ebnglish

torico Embarassed
ski holidays
yeah I saw that typo and left it ...
snow report
mylespe, if you are going to buy in resort (and it is a bit more pricey right now with the euro rate) then i would go and see Keith at alpine sports warehouse in morzine, he is a brit and a pretty good boot fitter too www.alpinesportswarehouse.com
snow report
under a new name,..i tried three shops which all said they didn't have the jig for marker bindings...at this stage i'm astonished...the next shop i try , the same result...but the owner said there was a shop around the corner called star ski who sold marker bindings and they should have the jig...so i go there, present the skis and bindings to the owner who tells me i can pick them up in 2 days...i went back to fetch them and he says he has the jig for '10 dukes but not '09, and that there wasn't another shop in morzine with the equipment to mount them!!!... incredible...having said that...i saw 3 sets of touring bindings the whole week...everyone seems to ski piste skis in morzine/ avoriaz/ les gets...i had people gawping at my XXL'S and saying stuff like... "are they waterskis?"..."yeah, 'course they're waterskis!".........."retard"....

okbye
snow conditions
snowpatrol, interesting. I'm a little surprised, but there you go.

Why would you expect to see touring bindings on piste? I know plenty of chums who rando frequently, but you wouldn't catch them anywhere near a piste on rando rigs.
snow conditions
under a new name, you're surprised?....i was raging.............and i didn't say i saw them on the piste....you did....i saw them in the lift lines...seeing freerides and especially dukes (more common for shorter lift accessed touring) in liftlines is not unusual at all...especially when there are thousands upon thousands of skiers around...

okbye
snow report
snowpatrol, raging seems a little extreme to me. Yes, I did assume you meant on the piste.

Anyway.

PDS doesn't really have a huge rep for touring - compared, say, to Monterosa or Cham. Can't say I've noticed a complete lack of bc setups though. I know of one pair of Stockli XLs + Naxos used often on and off piste out there.

Ho hum.
ski holidays
snowpatrol, Maybe all the locals buy their stuff down in Cluses.
latest report
rjs, I would expect Vieux Campeur in Thonon rather than Cluses.
latest report
frankm wrote:
There's an English guy called Keith at a shop called Ski Warehouse near the Super Morzine who seems pretty good - has sorted out a couple of my mates who are all happy with the results. Agree that £200 might not get you much especially if you want footbeds ets.

Keith actually owns a shop called Alpinesports, not (Skiwarehouse) PLEASSSSSEEEEEEE. The answer is yes I bootfit, have done for about the past 24 years, the coffee is always on and am always willing to look at any problems skiers might have.
ski holidays
under a new name,you know what its like when you get new gear... the black crows have been sitting waiting to be mounted for SIX WEEKS...i was salivating at the thought of finally getting them skied...i mean my balls were tightening on route to resort...to get there and find that i cant get them mounted and will have to wait till march 26th to finally ski them fuci<ed me off big style...maybe thats just me...but i doubt it...

okbye
latest report
thanks all for your help - much better response than i could hope for

not had answers from any emails to morzine bootfitters, poor service compared to Filarinksis who missed my call and used call-id to call me straight back and were super helpful am leaning to them and getting it sorted before i leave

keithski - so you are in Morzine? What ya got in my budget!

cheers
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[b]mylespe[/b No-one will be able to tell you that until they've seen your feet. You can't ppick up just any boot in your shoe size and expect it to fit, the shells are designed for different foot shapes.
ski holidays
clarky, yes of course, i understand that, was wondering what brands 'keithski' stocked, any last season deals he might have going on etc etc.

As a poor student staying in for a month to afford boots getting the best kit i can for the money is really important....

have looked at his website, nicely done but not too much info on the above, and given that he has been recommended a few times it seems like he would be my morzine port of call as it were, so would be good to compare what AlpineSportsWarehouse has to offer with what Filarinskis proffered

will drop Alpine Sports an email, thought i already had

thanks again for your help everyone - interesting and really useful forum

keithski - i take my coffee black cheers Wink
latest report
snowpatrol, oh, I do know what it's like. Still think it's odd.

Ah, I remember when all you needed to fit a set of bindings was a drill, a square and a marker pen. (Square only for measurement, as even then skis weren't entirely straight...)
snow report
under a new name, why don't you light up the camp fire and tell me a few more stories about the good ol' days.....

okbye
latest report
snowpatrol, I can if you really want me to...

F'rinstance, trudging across the plateau at Glencoe, wooden skis on my shoulders, leather boots leaking, woollen hat itching, etc.

Need I go on?

Anyway. You tipped up in a resort having done no research and making a sweeping assumption as to the availability of a relatively rare service and are raging 'cos you couldn't find it.

Sounds suspiciously like gaper behaviour to me.

I hope you had a nice rep to make sure you didn't forget your lift pass/goggles/gloves in the morning.

Retard. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report
under a new name,... that hurts.... i've got feelings to you know.........

okbye
snow conditions
If you are looking for Keith for boot fitting then its Alpine Sports Warehouse you want in Morzine (it used to be Ski Warehouse)
latest report
Bumping a 12 year old thread …

Neighbour is off to Morzine next week and his wife just said he had an aborted trip to snow and rock as he wanted to get fitted boots due to wide calves
S&R couldn’t help him (after telling him over the phone they could)

Anyway - he should have asked me sooner and I would have sent him to the usual picks of @cem at solutions for feet or profeet - I imagine too late now for either of those.

So I suggested he tries to find a good fitter in Morzine

Does anyone have a recommendation please?
ski holidays
I drive to Cham from Morzine for my boots. There's several boot fitters there
latest report
Mother hucker wrote:
I drive to Cham from Morzine for my boots. There's several boot fitters there

Sadly unlikely to be an option as they are on a package tour. So no car..
snow conditions
Tomas underneath Beanies which is All Mountain Rental I think but contact in advance.
ski holidays
All Mountain Rental for everything boots and Marker bindings. They are no longer under Beanies but have a shop between Morzine and Montriond. Their boot fitting is second to none and they have some great touring kit for sale and rent.

@snowpatrol, if you had done some research before you had arrived then I’m sure you would discovered that AMR are a Marker stockist and that they would mounted your bindings overnight.
As for your ski and binding choice. You can’t be serious about touring on that set up?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy