Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Google Maps (with pistes and lifts)?

Poster: A snowHead
Random question but have google removed the pistes and lift from the google maps function? I remember plotting routes for a trip to Les Gets I took in early 2020, and going through them (street view style) with a nervous beginner who was also on the trip. But trying to do the same now for Morzine/Avoriaz, I can't see anything?

Anyone else noticed the above? Or know of an alternative website I could use?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Think it depends on the resort, they definitely still exist because I was looking at some earlier.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JailBaitMcFlude wrote:
Think it depends on the resort, they definitely still exist because I was looking at some earlier.

Might be user error then! I'll keep trying then.

Still be good to have a dedicated interactive ski map/planner if one exist?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They are a bit spotty and some are very out of date. I'm just back from Andermatt and Google was showing the piste map circa 2016, which has changed quite a lot
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I find quite a lot of them are incomplete anyway.

I dont recall ever seeing French side of PDS on googlemaps though. Always thought it was odd, as the swiss side is there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There is this, built on top of OpenStreetMap, I think it is easier to see where there are lifts and pistes than on Google Maps.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I use Open Streetmap which is free, offline, doesn't spy on you, and has ski lifts if you need them.
You have to pay a bit if you want the contours, which I do use in UK and elsewhere.
Haven't tried it in France, mind.
https://osmand.net/
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is also openskimap.org which shows the profiles of the runs.

Edited twice: for some reason my iPhone shows the profiles whereas my Windows 11 laptop sometimes does, sometimes not. Seems a good enough reason to add fibre broadband to my shopping list Cool
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, openskimap.org. It shows the geographical location of both lifts and runs, and if you click on a run it gives a brief description (like length, average and max gradient).

No Streetview (Pisteview) though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fatmaps is fairly useful too.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Open ski map looks great. With the contours showing it’s Far more intuitive to look at than many of the resort piste maps.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Entire French side of PDS has never been on google maps.

90% of the 3 Valleys isn't on there either.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OpenSnowMap gets my vote over OpenSkiMap - I find the topography shading much more intuitive.

Both are far better than Google Maps though!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mikeycharlton wrote:
Entire French side of PDS has never been on google maps.

90% of the 3 Valleys isn't on there either.

They don't have the lifts or pistes but they do have street view on some slopes for Les Gets. Which is what I referenced in the OP. Not sure why they'd have one without the other.

This is a view back to the top of the Ranfoilly lift, but you can follow it on to other slopes.

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For some reason there are quite a few French resorts missing from Google maps. I'm on there most days... bit of a map geek.

PDS, Val Thorens and some more of the 3V, La Rosierre and loads of smaller Italian ones
snow report
You could look at FatMap - there is a desk top site that I look at from time to time......not sure if it will give you what you need but the pistes are marked on top of 2d or 3d satellite images and you can also click on pistes to get info on them.

https://fatmap.com/around/Morzine/France/@47.2628670,11.8040299,9746.1217186,-90,-121.6800705,2339.4711086,satellite
ski holidays
Avoriaz/Morzine has never been on on Google maps. The Swiss lifts are all there however which I’ve always found strange. Smaller ski resorts do tend to be on but less of the bigger mega resorts
ski holidays
Theres an iPhone app called Ski Nav, you can give it a start and an end point and it will show you on a piste map which pistes and lifts to take. Morzine/Avoriaz appears to be one of the resorts it has.

The person who wrote it had a Q&A thread running on here a couple if years ago.
ski holidays
ster wrote:
Theres an iPhone app called Ski Nav, you can give it a start and an end point and it will show you on a piste map which pistes and lifts to take. Morzine/Avoriaz appears to be one of the resorts it has.

The person who wrote it had a Q&A thread running on here a couple if years ago.

Thanks! Will download now.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy