Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pinged after Easyjet flight on Saturday!

Poster: A snowHead
I was already fuming about the lax regard to Covid safety on my GVA-MAN flight with Easyjet on Saturday (crazy huge crowds and queuing for bag drop, lack of mask wearing and poorly fellow passengers) and to cap it all I have now been pinged by Test and Trace as 'a contact of someone with Covid-19'.

The only way T&T could have got my details is from the PLF, so I'm assuming it was someone else on the flight. Possibly the f@cker sat behind me coughing for the whole flight Mad Mad

So that's my Christmas visiting my elderly parents postponed, and just have to hope now that I don't come down with Covid too...

Anyone else??

So annoyed after having been really careful all week in Tignes; self-catering on my own and not meeting up with fellow skiers in bars etc.

Sad Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@CathS,
Get a PCR test ASAP. If it comes back negative, you are almost certainly not infected, and then go and see your parents. That is a far more reliable test of infection (and infectiousness) than being on the same plane/baggage queue as someone random. I suspect they've pinged the entire plane if it hasn't come through the App.
Some will disagree with this approach v what the law says, but I would say it is a better commonsense approach.
But if you are worried about being in large groups of people, perhaps flying on holiday the week before was not the best idea?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@snowhound, she should have done a PCR on or before day 2.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And that is why I don't have app Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Snowsartre, some like this was not the app but track and trace from the flight list
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I thought the requirement was to take LF tests for 7 days and only to isolate if positive…

“ You are not legally required to self-isolate as a contact if you are fully vaccinated or aged under 18 years and 6 months……”
“ Anyone aged 5 years and over, who has been identified as a contact of someone with COVID-19 and who is not legally required to self-isolate, is now strongly advised to take a rapid lateral flow device (LFD) test every day for 7 days”

From here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-for-contacts-of-people-with-possible-or-confirmed-coronavirus-covid-19-infection-who-do-not-live-with-the-person/guidance-for-contacts-of-people-with-possible-or-confirmed-coronavirus-covid-19-infection-who-do-not-live-with-the-person
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Deleted (didn't read message correctly)

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 20-12-21 20:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowsartre wrote:
And that is why I don't have app Sad

Nothing to do with the app. It's the passenger locator form and without doing that you don't fly.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@adithorp, It might have been the App if it was a ping from the airport queues?
But if on the plane, yes it would have been the PLF. Given they could have been at opposite ends of an air-filtered plane, I would take the result of a PCR test as a better judge of potential infectiousness.

Snowsatre...me too. I don't understand why all these people have downloaded this App and then complain when it tells them to self isolate??
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
(mis)read in haste, apologies all. Red Leon is correct no need to do anything other than LFD test each day for 7 weeks - if you phone track and trace they will confirm this - happened to a friend.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It is from the PLF, as I don't have the app. I just hope that they pinged the whole plane, and not just those within 2 rows of the plague-carrier, as others have suggested to me is the case.

I don't need to self-isolate, just take LFTs for the next 7 days. But also avoid contact with the elderly/vulnerable (ie. my parents).

Day 2 PCR taken on Sunday morning was negative, but it would be too early to pick up any infection I'd got on Saturday's flight.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@CathS, surely the coughing man behind you must have taken a return to UK LFT that must have been -ve or he wouldn’t have been allowed on the plane? Or maybe the Swiss/French just wanted rid and let him board regardless?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Could of taken it 48 hours before he started travel plenty of time for COVID to develop
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pieman666, good point, well made
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I always thought being "pinged" meant getting a notification of a close contact via the covid app (the Bluetooth contact tracing function). Whereas being contacted by test and trace via the PLF is just being contacted by test and trace.

The PLF doesn't ask for your seat number so they will have notified the whole plane. I had the same happen to me after a flight from Spain last month. Took a PCR test as instructed, was negative. Was not concerned, as planes have efficient air filtration and I had an FFP2 mask on the whole time.
latest report
@musehead,

Yes, technically you are correct. The first I heard of it was a text from T&T, which did make a pinging noise though! Not sure whether or not they would look at seat numbers once someone had got a positive Day 2 test (which is assume is how they picked it up)? I would be a bit less stressed about it if it was the whole plane contacted. I had a FFP2 mask clamped around my face for the whole flight, so hopefully that will have provided some protection.

As for the pre-departure LFTs, they have a lower sensitivity than PCRs and it can be several days into an infection before they pick it up. And wouldn't have put it past some of the people on the flight to fake a fit to fly antigen test to avoid getting quarantined in France...
snow report
NE1 wrote:
@CathS, surely the coughing man behind you must have taken a return to UK LFT that must have been -ve or he wouldn’t have been allowed on the plane? Or maybe the Swiss/French just wanted rid and let him board regardless?

or maybe he just had a normal cough, it is winter after all?

i have had a nasal infection for over a year now, that makes me cough a lot, i have been on a prescription steroid nasal spray for nearly six months. but every now and then i have a severe caughing fit, i still get funny looks now as people assume i have covid
latest report
@terrygasson, Yes, true. In the good old days, half the plane would come back from a skiing holiday with a cough!
snow report
@CathS, as an "elderly parent" I'd try to dissuade you from fretting too much about this. Get another PCR test, and provided that's negative, carry on as usual, and do your Christmas visits. Coughing is not, it seems, a particular symptom of Omicron. No need to panic yet.
snow report
@pam w, Cheers Pam.

It is more annoying than anything else, just as I was starting to feel pleased with myself for overcoming every hurdle and passing every test to make what at times felt like an impossible trip happen.
snow conditions
I had a similar experience 4 days after my BA flight back from Rhodes in october. A series of calls and texts from 'NHS' test&trace telling me I needed to self isolate as I was a close contact of a positive covid case. The passport-style version of my name was a clue that my data had been taken from the PLF. Evidently someone on the plane's day 2 PCR test had come back positive and everybody on the plane had been pinged.
Of course, nobody in authority can be bothered to get a more sophisticated algorithm designed, so as to identify only those people on the plane who were actually near to the positive person.
When I looked up the rulebook on the uk government website I found that actually I didn't need to self isolate, unless and until I myself tested positive on a pcr. I took one ( another one, a few days after my original day 2 one) and it was negative. On closer reading of the texts sent to me - which were phrased as orders, not requests - I found a clause saying 'unless you are exempt'. Exempt meaning originally an exempt occupation or similar, but subsequently extended to vaccinated 'contacts' .
ski holidays
The seat list from the airline may not be accurate, there has been lots of half full flights recently where the aircraft has been balanced by shifting pax around. Likewise if you were sat near the front or back then the queue for the loo may well mean that someone was breathing over you for a few minutes.

Luckily air on easy's planes is filtered through HEPA filters which capture 99.9% of things at .3 of a micron. Covid 19 virus particles are smaller than this, so more are captured. As the airflow is from the ceiling to the floor and you are separated by high seat backs it would only be those very close to you that could affect you. So with another test hopefully
@CathS, will get to see her folks.

TBH it's stuffy airports and jetways that bother me the most, not the plane journey.
snow report
Snowsartre wrote:
(mis)read in haste, apologies all. Red Leon is correct no need to do anything other than LFD test each day for 7 weeks - if you phone track and trace they will confirm this - happened to a friend.

A LFT for 7 weeks might be a bit extreme , I think its 7 days.

I would think you’d be extremely unlikely to get a run of LFT false negatives for 7 days if you have it but if you’re really worried about the appropriateness of seeing them on the chance you may have covid (notwithstanding the legal position) then do that PCR as well.
snow conditions
Same happened to us a few weeks ago but that was 7+ days after the flight - we worked out the flight was the only place we could have been pinged from. Definitely not our row as we were only ones in it. Something for test and trace to do - there was probably far more risk in the pub we went to, after we landed, for lunch. PCR test requested and done which is the way to go.

Probably wait a day or two to be certain as doing a PCR test before covid has had a chance to ferment might not give the right answer for family at xmas
snow report
snowhound wrote:
@CathS,
Get a PCR test ASAP. If it comes back negative, you are almost certainly not infected, and then go and see your parents. That is a far more reliable test of infection (and infectiousness) than being on the same plane/baggage queue as someone random. I suspect they've pinged the entire plane if it hasn't come through the App.
Some will disagree with this approach v what the law says, but I would say it is a better commonsense approach.
But if you are worried about being in large groups of people, perhaps flying on holiday the week before was not the best idea?

I think its a perfectly reasonable approach. You are a close contact, so you may be infectious. Take a test and prove you aren't. We now the Met Police aren't going to prosecute Covid breach cases
latest report
I'm flying a lot (for work) - I've been pinged from every single flight in the last few weeks. I'd just LFT every day, twice a day if you are meeting people so immediately prior and PCR if you feel like symptoms. Other than that I'd crack on, you've done everything you can. I was in London the other week, pinged on flight, pinged from lunch in restaurant, pinged on train then pinged on next flight. I test twice a day and 14 days later still fine.
latest report
peerless ploughman wrote:
I had a similar experience 4 days after my BA flight back from Rhodes in october. A series of calls and texts from 'NHS' test&trace telling me I needed to self isolate as I was a close contact of a positive covid case. The passport-style version of my name was a clue that my data had been taken from the PLF. Evidently someone on the plane's day 2 PCR test had come back positive and everybody on the plane had been pinged.
Of course, nobody in authority can be bothered to get a more sophisticated algorithm designed, so as to identify only those people on the plane who were actually near to the positive person.
When I looked up the rulebook on the uk government website I found that actually I didn't need to self isolate, unless and until I myself tested positive on a pcr. I took one ( another one, a few days after my original day 2 one) and it was negative. On closer reading of the texts sent to me - which were phrased as orders, not requests - I found a clause saying 'unless you are exempt'. Exempt meaning originally an exempt occupation or similar, but subsequently extended to vaccinated 'contacts' .

Same happened to us after flying back from Rhodes to Mcr October half term, I did not have the app just a text then email from T&T I then went on the gov website and answered a series of questions and was advised I was okay to get on with my normal life....

A lot of people I have since spoken with who have flown have also been contacted in a similar vein, perhaps its just a further measure of insuring people are complying and testing.
snow report
Thanks for the replies folks. I'm a bit reassured to hear that it's a common occurrence and likely the whole plane notified (so I wasn't necessarily sat right next to the Covid case).

It's the first time I've flown since Feb 2020, and the whole experience has very much shaken my confidence, as it was not as 'Covid secure' as I'd led myself to believe.

Loathed as I am to pay for another expensive test, I might get a rapid PCR on Friday to enable Christmas plans to go ahead - especially if, God-forbid, post-Christmas restrictions are on the cards. Otherwise I would just postpone my visit for a few days.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CathS wrote:
I was already fuming about the lax regard to Covid safety on my GVA-MAN flight with Easyjet on Saturday (crazy huge crowds and queuing for bag drop, lack of mask wearing and poorly fellow passengers) and to cap it all I have now been pinged by Test and Trace as 'a contact of someone with Covid-19'.

The only way T&T could have got my details is from the PLF, so I'm assuming it was someone else on the flight. Possibly the f@cker sat behind me coughing for the whole flight Mad Mad

So that's my Christmas visiting my elderly parents postponed, and just have to hope now that I don't come down with Covid too...

Anyone else??

So annoyed after having been really careful all week in Tignes; self-catering on my own and not meeting up with fellow skiers in bars etc.

Sad Sad

I've just realised that you and I were skiing in the same group last week. My decision to drive down is looking more and more like a good move.

I hope it is just a false alarm for you.

Best wishes

Richard
snow report
Just LFT, thats more likely to give you a false +ve than neg. PCR for when you have symptoms.
latest report
@richjp,

Hi Richard - yes, I will definitely be looking at driving down in the future. It has to be a less risky and less stressful option than flying down - although it will mean the end of quick 1 week skiing trips!

A bit complicated at the moment though with various EU countries imposing travel restrictions. e.g. I don't think driving to Switzerland would be possible, even though it's open for tourists.
snow conditions
Hi Cath, that is why I drove down for two weeks.
snow report
@richjp, how long did it take you to drive from London to Tignes?
snow report
@CathS, you wouldn't have to pay for a PCR, would you? If you don't need the certification?
ski holidays
@pam w, paying would ensure the quick turnaround I'd want.
snow report
Read the threads though - some are taking far too long.
ski holidays
CathS wrote:
@richjp, how long did it take you to drive from London to Tignes?

Hello, I allowed plenty of time to get to the tunnel and made an early start in case there were M25 problems or protesters blocking exits etc. although I did it comfortably in two hours.

Calais to Tignes is generally reckoned to be ten hours. After my early morning start I drove for six hours and stopped overnight, then drove four hours the next morning.
snow conditions
Cancel the app or don't complete test and trace properly, then block the number - that stops you being pinged
ski holidays
@Yellow Snow, I don't have the app. I was notified via the Passenger Locator Form which is mandatory for flights into the UK.
ski holidays
Cancel the app or don't complete test and trace properly, then block the number - that stops you being pinged
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy