Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slalom ski advice

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for a piste ski which will be better for demonstrating carved turns at a sensible speed for my son (who's skis this year have a radius of 8m) than my 18m radius Blizzard Rustler 9s, whilst being stiff enough to enjoy when skiing on my own. There are some good deals on the Head iSLR and Elan SL Fusion X. Does anybody have any experience/knowledge of these skis which might help me come to a decision? What else should I look at? How would these compare with something like a Head Magnum (which I know is extremely popular)?

We've got a couple of weeks skiing planned for Easter, so looking to buy something before then.

I'm 175cm and 70-75kg. Thoughts on whether I should go 160cm or 165cm? I'm leaning towards 160cm

The only slalom ski I've ever skied was a Rossignol 9S, which I remember having a lot of fun on, but that was about 9-10 years ago.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What are all the sizes that they make of the skis you are considering?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't have a recommendation but I do have a funny story!

Joined the "masters" (i.e for old people) ski race camp one summer for one of the weeks that my daughter was race training. Day one a Dutch chap turned up on what were clearly kid size skis. Turns out his 12 year old son was trying the race camp, and he wanted to "have the same skis to help with my son's skiing". Not only were they ridiculously short for him, they were not even race skis so not stiff at all (heaven knows how his son was getting on as they were no good for racing for sure). He lasted an hour. Never saw him again, always wondered if he just hid in his hotel for the rest of the week or if he ended up pulling his son also!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you are male just buy a SL in the 165 length. Go more pro/FIS in construction the higher your ski level (or weight but that seems relatively fixed in this case)

Bit of a weird use case though - just to demo turns for your son. Get them because you want to enjoy the snap and getting 20 turns in rather than 4 not just to demo.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you are getting a proper Slalom Ski, you should be fine on a 160...though it may only be available in a 165.

IMV. For skiing at sensible speeds, for demonstration purposes - I would be looking at the Head Supershape range, which will be more forgiving. I think the Magnums are a great choice - and in a 170, as they are reasonably playful and forgiving.

To give you an idea, I'm currently 66kg /178cm and own 157 Slalom Skis (Atomic SL11) and have hired Magnums in a 170.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
If you are male just buy a SL in the 165 length. Go more pro/FIS in construction the higher your ski level (or weight but that seems relatively fixed in this case)

Bit of a weird use case though - just to demo turns for your son. Get them because you want to enjoy the snap and getting 20 turns in rather than 4 not just to demo.

Thanks Dave. Sorry, badly expressed post on my part - I am looking forward to the fun of a short radius ski! I guess my point was that I was looking for a ski which could be carved in a short turn at a moderate speed so that my son can follow behind, but with enough stability at a fast-ish speed - I know this is something of an oxymoron. If I were buying them just for skiing on my own, I would probably be looking for something a little bit stiffer (but still not a full-on FIS spec race ski).

The skis I was looking at are, I think, at the easier flexing end of the slalom ski spectrum, but I'm only going on the manufacturer's blurb - hence asking for advice.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
waddles wrote:

Thanks Dave. Sorry, badly expressed post on my part - I am looking forward to the fun of a short radius ski! I guess my point was that I was looking for a ski which could be carved in a short turn at a moderate speed so that my son can follow behind, but with enough stability at a fast-ish speed - I know this is something of an oxymoron. If I were buying them just for skiing on my own, I would probably be looking for something a little bit stiffer (but still not a full-on FIS spec race ski).

The skis I was looking at are, I think, at the easier flexing end of the slalom ski spectrum, but I'm only going on the manufacturer's blurb - hence asking for advice.

IMO. You've just described the Magnums.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjs wrote:
What are all the sizes that they make of the skis you are considering?

Head iSLR - 150, 155, 160, 165, 170
Elan Fusion SL - 155, 160, 165, 170

Head Magnum - 149, 156, 163, 170, 177
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@waddles, my OH uses Head iSLR 150cm for teaching kids. You are 20kg heavier than her, so I'd say 165.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Old Fartbag wrote:
waddles wrote:

IMO. You've just described the Magnums.

Yes, they were the first ski that came to mind. I guess I'm just being a bit tight and wanting to find a bargain, but of course the Magnums are very popular for a reason!

What I can't quite work out though is to what extent the Magnum is different/better than the iSLR. Head's website suggests they are for the same speed range. The iSLR has a shorter radius (11.5m @ 165cm, vs 13.1m @170cm). There just seems to be a bit of a dearth of third party information about the iSLR, which does make me a bit wary.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
telford_mike wrote:
@waddles, my OH uses Head iSLR 150cm for teaching kids. You are 20kg heavier than her, so I'd say 165.

Thanks! What does your OH think of them?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@waddles, she's delighted with them. A few of her ski school colleagues use them too, which influenced the purchase - they seem to be quite versatile for SL skis.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
waddles wrote:

What I can't quite work out though is to what extent the Magnum is different/better than the iSLR. Head's website suggests they are for the same speed range. The iSLR has a shorter radius (11.5m @ 165cm, vs 13.1m @170cm). There just seems to be a bit of a dearth of third party information about the iSLR, which does make me a bit wary.

I found that the iSLR skis were a bit weird due to the very short radius. I felt basically 'locked in', as if it was difficult to influence the shape of turns. I'm much happier on ~13 m radius slalom skis.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
waddles wrote:

Yes, they were the first ski that came to mind. I guess I'm just being a bit tight and wanting to find a bargain, but of course the Magnums are very popular for a reason!

I find it easier to recommend the Magnums, because I skied them for a week.

I also think being a bit wider and longer, with a slightly bigger turn radius, would make the Magnums a bit more versatile.....on the other hand, you are paying a fair bit more for them.

Glisshop have some reasonable offers for Head skis: https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski/pack-ski-bindings/men/?facetFilters%5Bf_482813%5D%5B121764%5D=1&facetFilters%5Bf_488466%5D%5BGLIS_CHAR_SKI_CATEGORY_7131%5D=1&facetFilters%5Bf_488466%5D%5BGLIS_CHAR_SKI_CATEGORY_7133%5D=1
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@telford_mike, @JamesHJ, thanks, really appreciate your input!
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, totally understand recommending the Magnums based on experience and a fair point on versatility.

It was the Glisshop offers I was looking at!
snow report
waddles wrote:
@Old Fartbag, totally understand recommending the Magnums based on experience and a fair point on versatility.

It was the Glisshop offers I was looking at!

You mentioned Elan....and these certainly look interesting as a detuned slalom ski: https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski-set-bindings/elan/alpine-ski-set-sl-fusion-x-bindings28061336

I have never been on an Elan ski....but they are getting good reviews. I suspect 165 would work, as not as stiff as SLX Fusion X.
snow conditions
@waddles,
I have the Heads in 170 and they are good (I'm quite a bit bigger than you). I tried the Elans but didn't get on with them, conditions were very soft at the time. I would agree with the others though, if you want to play instructor then the Magnums would be a good choice.
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, Yes, those were the Elans I was thinking of. I couldn't find much in the way of reviews though, although what I did find was positive.

@musher, Thanks. Was there anything in particular you didn't like about the Elans?
snow report
waddles wrote:
@Old Fartbag, Yes, those were the Elans I was thinking of. I couldn't find much in the way of reviews though, although what I did find was positive.

@musher, Thanks. Was there anything in particular you didn't like about the Elans?

ProskiLab positively reviewed the stiffer version.....and said they were forgiving.

https://www.proskilab.co.uk/c/ski-reviews-2020-men-s-slalom

https://www.proskilab.co.uk/h/men-s-slalom/ski-reviews-2020-elan-slx-fusion/658
ski holidays
waddles wrote:

It was probably just the soft snow (or my technique) but I didn't like the way the tails felt. It seemed like they were about to buck me a lot of the time.
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, @musher, Thanks both for your input. Now to try and make a decision...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy