Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Early April options

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Just had to cancel our trip to the 3V next week as some of the group have caught the unmentionable lurgy. Devastated but we still have Andorra on the cards for early March.

However, we do have a week off work booked for the first week of April so potentially looking at a late season trip instead. Never been in April so looking at resort ideas. We are decent intermediate skiers who like to ski all day, separated by a nice beer every now and again. Not bothered about après. Looks like that week is the first week of Easter holidays so I'm guessing resorts may be more busier than we are usually used to especially if by then there is further relaxing of entry rules etc.
Ultimately, just looking at the best chances of decent on piste conditions. Obviously, very variable and could have a huge dumping prior or could be starting to get a bit thin by then.

I'm thinking as high as possible and/or with a glacier?
Tignes/Val
VT
Obergugrl
Solden
Zermatt
Saas Fee

Always fancied Are in Sweden as well, so potentially this could be an option being more Northerly?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The French tend not to go skiing over the Easter holidays and with them being late this year (17th April) I suspect even quieter than usual. I think all the resorts you have mentioned will still be open but many others will be closing that weekend or earlier. A glacier is not essential, but north facing and high is good.

We often go to Les Arcs in April and will go this year before Easter. The snow condition below 2000m can be challenging with sometimes sections of mud to negotiate around the bottom lifts, but good snow is often available. If the sky is clear then the pistes will be rock hard in the morning, with the east facing slopes developing a couple cm of soft snow on top. These spring snow conditions can be beautiful to ski on. Move to the west facing slopes as the day progresses. Be prepared to call it a day earlier in the afternoon than usual and enjoy another 4 or 5 hours of sunshine sitting on the terrace. Alternatively rent a snowboard and spend some time in the slush.

Do not forget the factor 50 sunscreen. At altitude in spring in snow the sun is really penetrating.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I forgot to mention that though the French don't fill the slopes at Easter there will be a greater number of Belgians than usual. They tend to drive down overnight on either Mornday Thursday or Good Friday.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This is exactly what I am looking at..... the first week of April this year avoids the 2 BH weeks but I still the school holidays at least in the North West.

Don't just look at glacial resorts..... you can ski in Austria at a lower altitude than in France so that brings in resorts like

Iscghl
St Anton
Serfaus

In Italy you have
Cervinia
Dolomites..... could be iffy though
Passo Tonale..... not my bag though.. too up and down in the same valley
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Plus Obertauren
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gaz_H, I had a holiday in Canazei a few years ago in March and the hotel was closing down for the season as soon as we left. Personnaly I would be avoiding the Dolomites in April.

As an aside my neice is thinking of joining us at Les Arcs but has noticed that Easyjet have cut a lot of their flights to Geneva from the end of March and the ones that remain are very expensive.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Fridge03,
Tignes/Val D'Isere should be fully open early April (unless it is a VERY unusual snow season!) - early April tends to be when the area has it's maximum snow depth.
If you mean 'first week of April' as 2nd/3rd to 9th/10th it should be quiet.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gaz_H wrote:
This is exactly what I am looking at..... the first week of April this year avoids the 2 BH weeks but I still the school holidays at least in the North West.

Don't just look at glacial resorts..... you can ski in Austria at a lower altitude than in France so that brings in resorts like

Iscghl
St Anton
Serfaus

In Italy you have
Cervinia

Some good points there. May have a ganders at Iscghl and forgot about Cervinia. Would probably leave me better off than going to Zermatt! And yeah Passo Tonale doesn't particularly float my boat either. Maybe might have a look at Livigno as well.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnE wrote:
@Gaz_H, I had a holiday in Canazei a few years ago in March and the hotel was closing down for the season as soon as we left. Personnaly I would be avoiding the Dolomites in April.

As an aside my neice is thinking of joining us at Les Arcs but has noticed that Easyjet have cut a lot of their flights to Geneva from the end of March and the ones that remain are very expensive.

Agree to a point, hence my "could be iffy though". Dollies are a big place and Arabba isnt the same as Canazei - I've been twice at Easter and been fine - I'm considering it again this year but always book very late
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fridge03 wrote:
Gaz_H wrote:

Iscghl
St Anton
Serfaus

In Italy you have
Cervinia

Some good points there. May have a ganders at Iscghl and forgot about Cervinia. Would probably leave me better off than going to Zermatt! And yeah Passo Tonale doesn't particularly float my boat either. Maybe might have a look at Livigno as well.

I might end up in Cervinia too - its a dead cert for being ok, cheaper than Zermatt and easy flight for me
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The high resorts in France should all be fine candidates - we’’ve always gone first week of Easter school holidays - either LA or Tignes or 3v. Most of the time snow will be ok packed powder, it may be a bit more polished and icy in the mornings, and lower spots e.g. runs down to LA 1600 will be slushed up in the afternoon but equally we’ve had some great powder days (though for full disclosure, a few days where it’s rained in LA, but I’m a glutton for punishment and go out whatever). VT is the surest spot, all other things being equal, imo.

You cant beat the sunshine/ warm afternoons and long days if you’re not too precious about the snow conditions being perfect!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fridge03 wrote:
Never been in April so looking at resort ideas.

I've been a lot to France at that time. TBH first couple of weeks of April are generally fine staying anything 1400m or above with plenty of skiing predominantly above 1800. You don't have to go full on glacier height.

Fridge03 wrote:
Looks like that week is the first week of Easter holidays so I'm guessing resorts may be more busier than we are usually used to especially if by then there is further relaxing of entry rules etc.

Easter/early April isn't that busy. Many people think it's quite late to go.

Fridge03 wrote:
Ultimately, just looking at the best chances of decent on piste conditions. Obviously, very variable and could have a huge dumping prior or could be starting to get a bit thin by then.

Because of snow making piste skiing isn't really an issue even at 1350 - 1800m. Can be icy first thing, can be a bit ropey later in the day but go to the right places as mentioned above you will be skiing most of the day a little higher.

I've stayed at Les Coches, Oz-en-Oisan, Les Menuires, La Norma at this time of the season.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Book flights before they get more expensive, probably to Geneva, then decide where to go much nearer the time.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Loads of accommodation will be available in France, at prices well below those of the peak holiday weeks.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Fridge03, Don't discount Arlberg, we normally go mid January but have put our trip back to end March this season, and so far seems like a decent strategy, no great lift served off-piste yet and looks pretty tracked out. The usual big mid January dump hasn't come so far and as far as I can see it's not on the weather forecast yet so could be well into February before the proper deep stuff arrives which imv means end March should be great this year. i also want to go this season when it's warm enough to sit outside for lunch (avoiding crowds indoors), but also quiet enough to avoid busy queue's at lifts etc........it's never an exact science but I think i'd maybe choose a week or 2 earlier than you are planning if you can amend?

VT always good late season.
snow report
Places I've experienced piste conditions varying from "fine" to "very good" in that first week of April are: St Anton (multiple), Ischgl, Les Deux Alpes, La Thuile and Soll (suprisingly good!). Generally it's a great week to go in my book.

A lot of luck involved, but the only bad experience we've had conditions-wise was Alpes D'Huez. La Thuile had probably the best conditions of the lot (in fact it was absolutely freezing).
snow report
Andermatt generally has some good skiing in April
snow conditions
Due to the Scottish school holidays (different to England) I always have to go late March/early April. Did three trips before Covid, two to Val, one to La Plagne. All great snow conditions. In fact, snowed quite a lot. Would recommend either. Both big ski areas, plenty of high runs and glaciers.

Question on a similar line, Pas de la Casa is quiet high. I am also looking at the first week of April. Anyone know what that would be like? I’m thinking Andorra as the Covid rules seem the most simple and “normal” out of everywhere in Europe. Any views please?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 25-01-22 21:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Davos is a good option in April
ski holidays
Given quite a few places haven't seen fresh snow for ages now, early April could well be a better bet than early February!
ski holidays
@pam w, +1, that’s why we’re holding out to last week March.

Any big holidays (schools etc) that could affect that badly say 25th March you think?
snow report
pam w wrote:
Book flights before they get more expensive, probably to Geneva, then decide where to go much nearer the time.

Generally a winning strategy, as long as you're willing to be completely flexible over the location and truly follow the snow. My brother was following this strategy for his holiday in March, but has seen availability drop and prices rise dramatically over the past week, so took the plunge as he had a few specific resorts in mind and didn't want to miss out. So Fridge03 if you do choose to do this, keep a close eye on prices and availability, as I get a feeling that lot of people are moving their Dec/Jan holiday to later especially in France.

Also, we're going in Easter school hols which for us start from 9th April, so by going the first week of April you should miss (if not all) a large chunk of school hols.
snow report
@Fridge03, It's worth remembering that most resorts shut down because of lack of customers rather than lack of snow. Almost anywhere that is still open will have snow. We have had bargain basement Easter trips to places such as Vars-Risoul, with good spring snow, and hardly any people. If you are going 2nd-9th April you have a massive choice.
snow report
Booked Obergurgl April 2nd to 10th ages ago - expecting it to be busy but for some reason BA cancelled my original flights a few weeks ago. I think that's very shortsighted given demand could be very high. Luckily the return flight is now 18:30 out of Innsbruck - which gives me another 2/3rds of a skiing day.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy