Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow chain for 285/40/22 tyre

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I need snowchains for a 285/40/22" tyre and after much research I basically got down to just two models available - Konig K-summit (XXL K77) or Spikes Spider (Sport XXXL). Not wanting to spend a fortune on something that will likely not get used (like all my other sets of chains) I came across a set of Spikes on Ebay and went with those.

Have now received them and the test fit has been a disaster. I cannot see that these are big enough at all. I have moved all the chain links to the 'second' hole so the diameter is the biggest it can be, but the problem is the width of the arms - at their max width the 'bend' that sits on the tyre shoulder is way short of fitting, measuring about 26" where the tyre is more like 29".

First question - How do I know the chains are actually XXXL model? There is no size / model that I can see anywhere, other than someone has written XXXL in biro in the instruction book.

Second question - Does anyone have spiders in this size who could check the measurements of the arms, please?

Final question - does anyone share my tyre size, in which case, what chain do you use?

Thank you!

David.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
XXXL spikes should have a code number of 14.700 on them. I resized mine to fit some 245/50/20 and there is still plenty more size I could get by adjusting the links.

Roofbox.co.uk were very helpful when I needed bigger wheel nut fitting things.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Endoman,

Mine don't have that number on them. They have a white barcode sticker with 'artikelnummer' 00093100 written on it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like L on the Roofbox site?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
captaindarling13 wrote:
Looks like L on the Roofbox site?

Not a clue I'm afraid. I'm just going off what they told me , I bought mine from them, all be it a long time ago, ( 15 years) yet they still helped me out. Of course they have never been used.....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@captaindarling13 My Spike Spiders have an arm adjustment that has three settings. This is for the arm and crosspieces that fits onto the two extended bolts. I had to adjust the arm first, on the basis of a chart, and then only use the chain link adjustment for 'fine-tuning'. What does the instruction manual say? My are only for 17" wheels but as they came, they wouldn't have fitted on the wheel without the arm adjustment being set one size up first i.e. they seem to come ex-factory on the smallest setting for the range of sizes they nominally fit.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's a bit odd. Looking on Roofbox.co.uk, they list all the parts that each size is made up of. Mine have all the right part numbers / qty of part numbers for the XXXL, except for the main grey carrier, which is almost certainly size L. The joys of ebay!

They sell that part separately, albiet currently out of stock, but I've emailed them to see what they can do.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good plan.
I used to use SpikesSpiders on my BMW many years ago, and with roofbox.co.uk help I was able to swop out the links I needed to convert the same kit to fit a Honda Accord later on.

Fitting a spikesspider can be an art. Fit the hub first of all (making sure that the hub bolt caps are the right dimensions for your specific vehicle.). Make sure that the right spacers are fitted to push the hub out far enough to be level with the tyre.. the chain will never fit on if the hub is fitted too close to the wheel.
Then fit the black tracks onto the top and sides of the wheel, leaving the green "flexible" track resting against the tyre.
Put down some cardboard that you can drive over the top of (otherwise you're about to damage your driveway!).
Slowly drive the car onto the cardboard. as the wheel rotates the green track will be pulled onto the centre of the tyre. I never had the strength to push it there by hand. If you're on the snow, this will happen after around 10metres. If you're on that piece of cardboard at home, you might need to roll forward/backward for a metre 10x.

They are an amazing piece of kit. I was able to drive a rear-wheel-drive BMW v8 up an iceroad/slope to a chalet front door using them!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mmm, a green track? I don't have a green track! I have 4 identical black pieces (part number 93081) on each quarter. On one quarter the chain makes a cross with a big washer.

Anyway, Spikes confirmed that XXXL will fit my tyre, so I have ordered the XXXL carrier from roofbox.co.uk, and will see how we go!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
May I ask about the locking wheel bolt? The fitting instructions appear to suggest replacing the locking bolt with a standard one? Is that right?

(I noticed the adapter looked like it was going to be tight, so I didn't fit it for my test fit)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@captaindarling13 Many owners are now replacing their locking bolts with plain ones, because unless you have special super-whizzo expensive Italian racing alloys, they don't get nicked any more. And their downside is that they're particularly prone to being stripped when removed, especially when a careless fitter previously over-tightened them with an air gun. It also sounds like their different form makes them a problem for bolt extenders. So all-in-all, you may want to consider replacing them with a plain standard version. I'm on a car owners forum and there's a long-standing thread on there describing the various ways that locking bolts get stripped and the even more complicated and time-consuming solutions for drilling them out. Most posters who experience their locking nuts being stripped say they wish they'd just replaced with plain ones earlier.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have wheel nuts. Spikes fit on 4, so locking wheel but not involved. You should have a green section to the track.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
captaindarling13 wrote:
Mmm, a green track? I don't have a green track! I have 4 identical black pieces (part number 93081) on each quarter. !

Designs might (probably have) changed since I bought. The YouTube videos are really helpful in understanding not only how to adjust the track, but also fit it.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=spikes+spider+sport&&view=detail&mid=31CE733CAF65A50AD33731CE733CAF65A50AD337&&FORM=VDRVRV
This is the type that I have (Spikes Spider® Sport Style/Alpine Pro).

Is this more like yours? https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=spikes+spider+sport&view=detail&mid=8F286F08F6042055AB298F286F08F6042055AB29&FORM=VIRE
Spikes Spider "SPORT"

I don't remember a problem with the lockable wheel nut... but from re-reading the SpikesSpider website they do say that you need to attach the hub to between 3-6 nuts, and since the BMW (and Honda) had 5 nuts per wheel, this meant the hub was attached to 4 nuts anyway.
The only thing that I found "odd" was that I would fit the hub here in the uk, and then drive all the way down to the Alps with the hubs attached simply to help with the final 20 meters!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Couldn’t you take vehicle with more suitable tyres for driving on snow?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the replies!

Assume there are no balance issues by not fitting the one on the locking bolt?

DJL - this is the only vehicle I have, the tyres on it are M & S, so not full winters, but sufficient for my trip.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy