Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ideas

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
normally ski france (various) but this feb we are getting north see ferry to Rotterdam so am wondering about other resorts in other countries? happy to drive all of saturday, we dock at 8.30am i believe....... we usually go self catering as we have two young kids but would be happy to go hotel, resort wise..... greens and blues good, odd red ok.... they are used to skiing espace killy so can get down most stuff but cruisey stuff better, dont need a massive area as we tend to fly ski half days anyway..... dates 11th to 18th..... was primarily thinking austria / Switzerland as nearer but am also considering italy (dolomites)

cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
11th - 18th Feb ?

I’d be thinking the dolomites. This year that week clashes with a couple of the French half term weeks (but fortunately not Paris) and you’re a week before carnival so Italy shouldn’t be too busy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ajc2260626, for something very different to EK you might like Grimentz at 600mls from Rotterdam.

Stunning valleyscape with very traditional mountain architecture and well placed ski area. Certainly smaller/compact in comparison, with gondola lift from village centre up to high plateau with good spread of very gentle uncrowded piste.
Link via cable car to Zinal ski area for more high snow level ski area. Both can be downloaded via lift with easy convenience but also with good route back to base. I've onky skied the black down in Grimentz but there's a more meandering blue that I can't offer opinion of. Both the high ski areas offer cafè restaurant as core meeting at those higher levels, you get great light and conditions up there with no particular difficulty in getting there as both have very good lift provision.

The whole valley is well worth considering for a step in contrast to a very large ski station.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
verbier switz and soll austria for example are both @600 miles from europort reckon on 10 hours drive time plus breaks a lot depends on wether you are planning on an overnight on the way down say a couple of hours from final destination missing the worst of the traffic . we have driven to austria (salbach) usually drive on the friday or saturday ferry on thursday or friday , son and sil with kids to switz and westendorf. This last few years found the overnight idea best as you are not under pressure to drive hard should the weather or traffic cause delays( plus opens more possibilities of area ) if you get to resort mid late morning gives you the option of skiing an extra 1/2 day plus neither you nor the kids are overly tired which is worth thinking about. Homeward journey just get up early and you should make the ferry or ski the last day then overnight above munich .
Realistically its going to be a 12hour car journey but all on good fast roads, however despite what the ferry says its oft been gone 9am before you get underway . > It is worth the extra few quid to pay for the priority boarding/disembarcation at least on the outward ferry as can take a while unloading . Last year for instance we drove from ferry to kufstein arriving 6.30 pm in time for a meal and the following day a couple of hours to hotel not tired and ready to ski >If you are considering the dolomites then personally would not consider a none stopover trip either way esp with kids . I have found the costs to be the same or less than a flight and transferwith the option /possibility of extra 1/2 days
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've driven to and from the north French Alps lots of times, quite frequently on my own, generally without a stopover. But I'd be hesitant to drive all day to the Dolomites with kids. It's that much further. With sensible stops, it's the best part of 14-15 hours, if traffic is flowing OK. Which it often won't be, on a changeover day.

Grimentz sounds immense.... always fancied going there.

Definitely not France that week.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Verbier is certainly a desirable place to ski, but 4V passess for a family that doesn't need a huge area along with skiing potentially half days appears really costly in fitting the original question.

Val D Annviers ( Grimentz, Zinal et al) being very definitely a better fit in that respect, while giving away nothing in the way of mountain scenery, ambience and Swiss lift efficiency.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers guys keep em coming, I think the dolomites might be a fly job at a later date, I like the idea of less driving if poss Eh oh!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy