Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich to Ischgl

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Heading to Ischgl via Munich on the 29th (4 of us) trying to find the cheapest way without hiring g a car - looks like c€200 euros each return.

Does anyone have any tips on a lower cost option?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can do the train to Landeck via Innsbruck then bus or taxi, but for 4 a car is probably cheaper.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have done Munich to Ischgl both by car and by train/bus. Train to Landeck is easy, though best take EC to Innsbruck and then either RJ or local train to Landeck, changing in Kufstein is not so good. Book seats on EC & RJ. The bus option from Landeck to Ischgl is easy enough but slow, if there are four of you best book a transfer. Best way to book tickets is using the OEBB website / app for some reason the tickets seem slightly cheaper than DB and you can book all the way through to Ischgl on the bus. That said if you are arriving at Munich airport, car hire is probably the best option for 4. You have to get to the main station (around 45 minutes) and the EC trains only run every two hours so connections with planes not ideal. Drive is straight forward, probably best stick to Inntal autobahn via Kufstein & Innsbruck though via Garmisch & Fernpass is shorter but prone to jams at weekends and does occasionally get closed if big snow hits. If you drive dont forget Austrian vignette and watch low speed limits on autobahns in Tirol.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@j4meseaton, Why don't three of you cover the car hire costs, fuel, vignette etc? They save 100 euros and the driver 200 euros. Or as a further incentive, do the afore, and pay him/her 150 euros to drive and the non-drivers still save 50 euros each.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for all the replys. A hire car plus petrol in a car big enough for 4 (with cases) seems fairly close to a transfer. I think we’re just going to ‘outsource it’ to a transfer, at least then if it’s heavy snow we don’t need to worry about snow chains etc!

Train was an option, I’ll double check the prices for that.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
j4meseaton wrote:
I think we’re just going to ‘outsource it’ to a transfer, at least then if it’s heavy snow we don’t need to worry about snow chains etc!

Very wise
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@j4meseaton, the requirement for snow chains on main roads is very rare round here. In the twenty years I have been here I can only think of two occasions when they would have been useful, one of those was the snowmageddon event a couple of years back, the other a very brief section uphill in the snow in the Brixental. A 4 wheel drive vehicle with winter tyres will cover pretty much everything (was perfect for driving to Davos during snowmageddon, no issue to keep up with the Swiss army trucks with chains!) if you keep off side roads up into the mountains, with the current forecast no need even for 4 wheel drive. The train / bus thing is a bit of a trek from the airport, as much as I prefer travelling by train I think you would be better off by road whether you drive yourself or not.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Once you've added the cost of fuel, motorway tolls, possible parking fee in Ischgl, you're looking at about the same price for a return private transfer. The transfer will save you time by collecting you at the arrival gate, choosing the quickest/best way to Ischgl (important on a Saturday), and you can relax without having to think about all the details. And if it happens to be snowing on either journey, you don't have that added stress either. Not many people need a car when they actually get to the resort anyway. And bear in mind, that if you damage it, you may have to pay a big excess too.
It seems that most people consider private transfers to be way too expensive, but they have no problem paying € 150 for a 2 hour private ski lesson or 10 G&T's at the hotel bar for € 15 each.
A transfer company has to cover: VAT, driver payment, fuel, toll fees, insurance costs, servicing, wear & tear, office costs, etc, etc and the cost of a nice luxury vehicle too. All these costs have increased significantly over the last 10 years, but transfer prices are pretty much the same or even being forced lower due to big online companies muscling in on the local taxi company territory.
A private transfer should considerably improve the enjoyment of your holiday. It's worth the price.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
munich_irish wrote:
...Drive is straight forward, probably best stick to Inntal autobahn via Kufstein & Innsbruck though via Garmisch & Fernpass is shorter but prone to jams at weekends and does occasionally get closed if big snow hits. If you drive dont forget Austrian vignette and watch low speed limits on autobahns in Tirol.
On that, if you drive that Fernpass route then the last time I did it at least it was straightforward on non-vig roads, so I think you do not need the vignette for that.
Obviously double check, but you have to ask precisely the right question or look at the roads yourself.

There's often a speed trap on the pass just past the border, heading south.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't go over the Fernpass on a Saturday. It's a garanteed traffic jam. For the simplest route follow the motorway route via Kufstein, though it can also be super busy on Saturday's during the day at the border if they are doing random checks. The best route is to use the middle ring around the west side of Munich centre and follow the A95 towards Garmisch. On a Saturday between 10 and 16 it's often best to avoid going through Garmisch and driving via lake Kochel and lake Walchen, then follow the road to Seefeld. Turn off in to Seefeld and then down to Telfs, not the road down to Zirl. At Telfs either join the motorway if you have a motorway sticker "Vignette" or follow the 171 "Bundestrasse" to Pians and then turn in to the Paznaun valley and drive up to Ischgl. The motorway will probably save you 15-30 mins as you don't have to drive through all the towns on the main road.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
whitedescents wrote:
Once you've added the cost of fuel, motorway tolls, possible parking fee in Ischgl, you're looking at about the same price for a return private transfer. The transfer will save you time by collecting you at the arrival gate, choosing the quickest/best way to Ischgl (important on a Saturday), and you can relax without having to think about all the details. And if it happens to be snowing on either journey, you don't have that added stress either. Not many people need a car when they actually get to the resort anyway. And bear in mind, that if you damage it, you may have to pay a big excess too.
It seems that most people consider private transfers to be way too expensive, but they have no problem paying € 150 for a 2 hour private ski lesson or 10 G&T's at the hotel bar for € 15 each.
A transfer company has to cover: VAT, driver payment, fuel, toll fees, insurance costs, servicing, wear & tear, office costs, etc, etc and the cost of a nice luxury vehicle too. All these costs have increased significantly over the last 10 years, but transfer prices are pretty much the same or even being forced lower due to big online companies muscling in on the local taxi company territory.
A private transfer should considerably improve the enjoyment of your holiday. It's worth the price.

Exactly where my head is at. We’ve gone for a private xfer.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@j4meseaton, with teds-transfers? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowsartre wrote:
@j4meseaton, with teds-transfers? Toofy Grin

Never heard of them! Was going to be my next question on xfer recommendation.

I’ve booked with transfers-Germany.de
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy