Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Chains for a Renault Trafic - What diameter chain

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Never had snow chains before, but looking at getting some for future trips to the Alps.

Google is throwing up 9mm chains and 16mm chains. Any particular reason to pick one over the other? Prices ranging from €40 to €400. They will probably sit unused in the van from the day they are bought, but better to have them than look for them when they are needed.

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How much do you load up the van on trips? I have seen plenty of broken 9mm chains on cars, think my current ones are 12mm but haven't used them for years as I have winter tyres.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd have thought there were more significant differences than diameter of chain. 9mm should be fine. Some are more easy to fit than others. I wouldn't pay a lot. But I WOULD practice fitting them. Obviously tyre size is the critical thing.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
So, first check with your Owner's Manual about whether the specific wheel and tyre size fitted can take chains at all. Given it's a van, odds are you'll be OK but if you're not the first owner, then someone may have fitted low-profile wheels that can't take chains.

And be aware that just because a specific chain set fits a specific tyre size, and that tyre size is on your vehicle it doesn't mean that there's enough space behind the tyres for the chains to freely rotate (especially if they're a bit loose, which is not uncommon). So this is why you need confirmation from your Owner's Manual or garage that what's fitted is chain-friendly. I can happily buy chain sets that say they fit the tyres on my car, but they'd foul the suspension/brake pipes if I actually fitted them. If it's a FWD then the steering can also get in the way.

If the Manual says you can take them then, as you've found, there's a lot of choice. I'd avoid the 9mm - they can de dodgy if, as mentioned, you're heavily loaded. And they're simply more robust. There's usually a price hike from 9mm>12mm>16mm (which I think is worth the premium); and when you move from manually-tensioned to auto-tensioned (where you don't have to stop after 100m and re-tension the chain); and another hike when you move up to quick-fitting versions; and another hike for front-fitting types (which can be fitted to low-profile wheels as they've no chain bits on the inside of the tyre - the €400 ones are probably this sort).

When you do get your chains, absolutely do a test fitting - this is much easier on a spare first, and then you can see what's what much more easily. Some chains fit a wide range of sizes and need manual adjustment to the links to fit any size other than the default minimum - this isn't something you want to be doing up a mountain, in -10⁰C, in the dark and snow.

Finally, pack a bit of spare carpet to kneel on, and some old but thin gloves. When you put the chains back after your test fitting/adjustment, separate them with some plastic (so you don't get chain spaghetti). And try to put them away in a way that makes it as easy as possible to get them out and fit when you use them in earnest. A head torch is also useful accessory in such situations, as is having a separate pair of outdoor shoes to hand.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 24-01-22 13:24; edited 9 times in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Brilliant, thanks all. Original steel wheels and reasonable well loaded van. Three kids, a tonne of windsurfing kit and then another tonne of wine on the way home.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Make sure that bringing in the wine doesn't cost you more than the chains. wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@oink, Do not get 9mm chains for a Trafic, 9mm are lightweight car chains. You need 12mm as a minimum, preferably 16mm. When we were transfer driving in Trafics we always had 16mm, and I got 16mm for our Transit.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
roofbox.co.uk have a good guide on their website, input your car model and / or tyre model
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@robins thanks for that. I'll order the 16mm ones. I'll just have a read of the manual first to make sure they're is nothing in there that says no chains!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@oink And as I mention on the other thread about driving to Switzerland, check your manual to see how you set your traction controls for snow/chains (if this is available on your vehicle). It often involves pressing some button labelled with a meaningless acronym or a bizarre icon and 'off', which doesn't help a lot.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy