Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Men’s Swimwear in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
We have a pool in the hotel we’re staying in in Austria. When we were in France last, men were banned from wearing swim shorts and only budgie smugglers were allowed. Can I check what protocol is in Austria please
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shorts will be allowed in the pool....please note that spa's / steam room / sauna etc are nude and its normally enforced.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, in Germany there are a few places that go au naturale, most entertaining,
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Enforced as in: other guests will shout at you if you wear swimming things in the sauna (or don’t put a towel between the wooden benches and your posterior).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whereas it's absolutely fine for dogs to put their posteriors on the sofas in the bedrooms.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great, shorts are fine. Wild horses wouldn’t drag hubby into a naked anywhere!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
An entirely accurate, yet somehow disturbing, thread title.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just to add in here, and not make another thread - is France still the same? Can i get away with a shorter 'jammer' type? Pretty sure i did many years ago, but wanted to check. Not sure I'd get my 16 year old son in proper budgie smugglers...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@SHAP, It depends on the venue. In Tignes clean board shorts seem fine. The slot machine dishes out men’s tight boxer style ones. Other places are different. Val D used to enforce budgie smugglers, but I think shorts are OK now ( presumably the wife of the nearest sports shop owner no longer works the turnstiles!)

I wonder how long it will be before budgie smugglers come back into fashion, guess it’s inevitable……
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
chocksaway wrote:
( presumably the wife of the nearest sports shop owner no longer works the turnstiles!

This is a more general French thing: it may be being relaxed now, but for decades it’s been the case that loose-fitting shorts aren’t permitted, particularly in public/municipal pools. I’m not entirely sure why, but wouldn’t be surprised if there were a justification using ‘safety’ or ‘hygiene’ (as in the Germanic prohibition on swimming things in the sauna). As a teenager I remember a lot of my French friends of a similar age strongly preferring swimming in lakes and rivers where they were allowed to wear board shorts, and for that reason.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jmr59, World Cup, France 98 we were based in a campsite in Saumur on the Loire (wonderful spot) for 2 of the 3 weeks.

They had an onsite indoor pool and we were informed beforehand that budgie smugglers were required for hygiene reasons.

We all turned up with our newly purchased speedos, went to the pool one day to find all the locals in board shorts or similar Laughing Laughing

We felt more than a wee bit daft............
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We regularly go to French Eurocamps. You can spot the French families as all males in the family wear budgie smugglers. The English and Dutch all go for board shorts. Been going every summer since 2016 and husband and two children have never been stopped and had the tight ones enforced, despite signage around the pool.

I think the hygiene thing is because some people wear the board shorts all day. In and out of the bars, on the beach (if applicable) etc. Just letting themselves dry in the sun.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I believe the national government overturned the grenoble Council decision to relax clothing specifications in their municipal pools.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We tried to get into the Durancia pool in Montgenevre but daughter had men’s shorts on and they refused. They eventually found her a costume and all was fine but just didn’t want to get caught out.

Are swim hats common in Austrian pools?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@bambionskiis,
They was mandatory last time I went to a public pool in Austria… That was 30+ years ago though Laughing
ski holidays
@bambionskiis, rarely seen in the Therme in Altenmarkt
snow report
Ok thanks.

While I’m on a roll, do I take it all things Covid are now so last year - I’d no masks or Covid passes etc? Just want to be sure
latest report
You are only likely to encounter covid regs if you are unfortunate enough to need a hospital or other healthcare. There may still be some rules in Vienna, but I'm going to assume that for a ski trip you won't be going anywhere near there.
snow conditions
bambionskiis wrote:
Ok thanks.

While I’m on a roll, do I take it all things Covid are now so last year - I’d no masks or Covid passes etc? Just want to be sure

We were in Austria at Christmas. The official line is compulsory FFP2 masks on public transport whilst in Vienna, but not anywhere else. I bought a stack of FFP2 masks in preparation, but was amongst the minority wearing one, both in the airport and on the train. No mention of them when we were landing in Vienna, and none of the crew were wearing them either.

We were not asked for our Covid passes, though we had made sure the NHS app was up to date on our phones was up to date and passes were screen shot just in case.

I didn't see so much as a hint of a mask once we were in resort and there was definitely no social distancing in lift lines and on gondolas.
ski holidays
Most of France still enforce the budgie smuggler rule, though I normally wear the shorts ones (ie like men’s briefs).

It’s a bit ridiculous that you can’t wear specifically designed swimming shorts. I was fine wearing them for several years as a lifeguard, but apparently they’re no good for swimming Puzzled

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 27-02-23 9:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Scarlet, indeed we’re off to zell am see.

@Owlette, that’s good, I’m glad to hear it. We’ll pack a couple of masks just to be on the safe side.

@Timmycb5, Ridiculous indeed
latest report
Timmycb5 wrote:
Most of France still enforce the budgie smuggler rule, though I normally wear the shorts ones (ie like men’s briefs).

Pretty much what I was thinking. I can cope with those better than the 'brief' version.
latest report
It's not really relevant that bigger shorts are designed for swimming or not...it's more that skimpy speedos or similar are designed just for swimming and don't get used just to lounge about it.
As someone has already posted, it's to stop people wearing shorts all day and then jumping in the pool. Seems a bit overkill until you see the number of people wearing pants under shorts in UK swimming pools....

In Spain board shorts are generally fine but you need to wear a hat to stop hair clogging the filter normally.

And in Austria/Germany/Japan swim wear is verboten in saunas/onsens.
ski holidays
0836whimper wrote:

Thats certainly not true in all of Germany.
ski holidays
0836whimper wrote:
It's not really relevant that bigger shorts are designed for swimming or not...it's more that skimpy speedos or similar are designed just for swimming and don't get used just to lounge about it.
As someone has already posted, it's to stop people wearing shorts all day and then jumping in the pool. Seems a bit overkill until you see the number of people wearing pants under shorts in UK swimming pools....

In Spain board shorts are generally fine but you need to wear a hat to stop hair clogging the filter normally.

Yes, this. My sauna strategy is to either sit on a towel or wrap it around my waist. If everyone else is just sitting on their towel, I'll do the same, and if everyone is wrapped, I'll wrap.

I wear "jammers," the thigh-length lycra shorts, in public pools here in France. As noted above, the "no swim shorts" rule is just to keep things a little less grungy. That said, have you ever seen the tile floor of a typical French public pool? Nasty. Most public pools also require a cap, although I've noticed that rule is relaxing a bit. Always bring one jic.

In any event, as a former competitive swimmer, I find it odd to wear anything but swim-specific gear in a public pool, at least indoor ones.
ski holidays
0836whimper wrote:

Personal choice where we were in Austria. The Brits (me included) tended to keep costumes on in the sauna. Other nationalities were content to strip. I was glad to see the arrival of more Brits later in the week as I felt quite conspicuous in my costume whilst all were swinging freely around me.
snow report
@Owlette, definitely verboten at the Therme in altenmarkt
snow report
In zell am see 5 years ago we had a spa in our hotel. We got some funny looks wearing shorts and swimming costume whilst everyone else was hanging loose. I just don't see the need to be naked in a public area
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mikeelsa wrote:
. I just don't see the need to be naked in a public area

Try it, you might like it Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

I just don't see the need to be naked in a public area

Or indeed why you need to wear a swimming costume. What's the problem?
ski holidays
You get many more smiles and nods at dinner from the locals if you go au natural in the sauna in Austria Wink
snow report
Some hotels in Austria have a "textile" area as well as a naked one. Trouble is, you don't know until you get there!

Personally, I don't mind a naked sauna. You are allowed to wrap a towel round if you're shy (or English Madeye-Smiley ). However, the hotel with the hot tub in the naked area was a different matter. Climbing in and out of there in a dignified and modest manner was impossible Shocked .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy