Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Johann in Tirol

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, have FINALLY persuaded hubby to start skiing (just started dry slope lessons at the age of 56) so looking at taking him on his first ski holiday next January. Currently looking at St Johann in Tirol as he's decided he'd like to go to Austria. Is the resort usually ok for snow in January? Quiet? Any other pros/cons re. taking a first-timer there? Don't want to scare him to death on a proper mountain after he's been used to our local dry slope Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to SHs, @Annie66. If he learns on a dry slope and remains enthusiastic he'll love being on real snow and mid-January is a great time to choose. Others will come up with info on St Johann and lots of other places in Austria you could go. I'd just make the point that it would be best for him to sign up for lessons for your week though he won't have to join the beginner group. A mountain is different, especially if you strike bad weather.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Annie66, welcome!

St Johann is relatively low like Kitzbuhel around the corner, but most of the slopes are north facing and in January will likely be in excellent condition. As a smaller area it is ideal for beginners, and won't be anywhere near as busy as the larger areas around it. The lift is on the southern edge of the town, so you may need a bus to get to it unless you choose your location carefully. The centre of town is the other side of the railway, and while it will have a bit of a resort feel to it, it's not a major snowsports centre by any means.

Unfortunately that isn't reflected in a significantly lower pass price. You'll see that there are 3 levels of pass - the local area, then the 3-Lander Freizeit Arena, and finally the Salzburg Superski pass. For a beginner, the local pass will be enough, especially if you don't have a car, as the 3-Lander area is a collection of similarly small-sized areas each of which could be good for a day trip but not a lot more (see http://www.3laenderfreizeitarena.com/?lang=en ), while the Superski pass gets you access to half of Austria but only if you can get there, with the closest options being Kitzbuhel and the Skiwelt (both easily reachable by train), or Saalbach via Fieberbrunn - but all of those are worth visiting in their own right once he's hooked wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am taking some beginners there in a couple of weeks time.

From my research the Eichenhof area looks a great place to start, with a free beginners lift and a gondola onto a flattering blue. I have arranged lessons, ski hire and lockers for them there.

I’ll let you know how it goes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Annie66, whilst the skiing in St Johann is fine for beginners it is not the most convenient layout or the prettiest of places. You might be better off looking at Scheffau which is nearby. The beginner slopes are at the top of the main gondola lift. This allows both a sense of being in the mountains and also a much better chance of decent snow, easy to get the lift back down at the end of the day. The adjacent village of Ellmau is similar but with some beginner slopes at village level. Slightly further away but with a really good beginners area at the mid station is Brixen.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Love Balloon - cheers, an update would be great Eh oh!
@munich-irish will have a look at Ellmau - thanks.
Going with Crystal & they don't offer Scheffau Eh oh!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi
We’ve had our last 3 ski holidays in St Johann, and my husband has learnt to ski there. In hindsight I would probably go for the Kaiserfels offered by Crystal if you can get it, because the blue slope on the eichenhof side of the mountain is much better for beginners. But then you’d need to get the free ski bus to the central part to open up a wider area. But we’ve stayed at the Park 3 times and love it there. My friend just returned from the Fischer and said that was brilliant too (80% repeat business they get!). It’s such a friendly resort and they have good snow making. I think we’ve finally exhausted the skiing which is a shame as I feel like going home when I go back.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

The beginner slopes are at the top of the main gondola lift. This allows both a sense of being in the mountains and also a much better chance of decent snow, easy to get the lift back down at the end of the day.

This is a really good point.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Lozza1uk thanks! I was looking at the Park with it being near the cable car, glad you recommend it. If the food is good and plentiful hubby will be happy Eh oh! Is it far to walk to the train station by the way? Been years since I've been to Kitz.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The food is good and plentiful. Soup is delicious. It’s a 750m walk to the train station, or the bus also goes there from the gondola, but not at the right time to catch the bus we needed to get to Steinplatte so I’ve always walked. It’s about 10 mins. By the way, If you stay at the Fischer you use the park’s boot room for skis.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We went to St Johann for the first time 2 weeks ago. The slopes are PERFECT for beginners and intermediates as there are lots of very wide and gentle blues. We stayed at the Fischer which is owned by the same family as the Park. We were able to use the ski room at the Park, which was really useful as it’s 2 mins walk to the main gondola which is where a few of the main ski schools meet too. The train station is in the centre of town too and it’s 8 mins to Kitzbühel - highly recommend for a day trip - stunning town!
For lunch stop, I highly recommend Grander Schupf - lovely food on the mountain and a beautiful sun terrace. Lots of great mountain restaurants to try - we loved them all!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you much for the info @coxy84 - can't wait to get back on the slopes!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was St Johann last year and would say it was a great beginner hill. I found the village quite pretty and with plenty of options for a beer or food. I was travelling solo and the links to other nearby resorts SUPERB. 25/30 min bus to Fiebberbrun, Elmau, Steinplatte (which I loved) and 10 min by train to kitzbuhel.

The Huberbrau in the town for beer and food is excellent.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@joe1978, totally agree with all of that - looking forward to returning on the 11th!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

The beginner slopes are at the top of the main gondola lift. This allows both a sense of being in the mountains and also a much better chance of decent snow, easy to get the lift back down at the end of the day.

This is a really good point.

Yes but only a couple of runs, at least one is served by a chair lift though (which is nice on beginner slopes), rather than drag lifts.

I’d go for somewhere in the SkiWelt rather than St Johann. St Johann has a high proportion of runs low down - yes north facing - but if air temps warm can be rather soft.

Back to chairlifts on beginner slopes, Saalbach also has a chair lift on the nursery slopes.
ski holidays
“ Back to chairlifts on beginner slopes, Saalbach also has a chair lift on the nursery slopes.”

@buchanan101, yes, both the Turmwiese at village level and the Bernkogel (top) nursery areas are served by comfortable, modern, beginner-friendly chair lifts with bubble covers - which is a huge step up from those infernal T-bars and Pomas.
The small Kreuzkapelle nursery slope is served by a rope tow.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy