Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time trip - Jan - resort advice needed

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys!

I posted on here last week re: a Christmas trip.

Following your advice, we have decided to go in Jan instead to get quieter slopes and better value for money.

I am wondering if anybody here has recommendations for resorts, our requirements are below in order of importance.

Ski in ski out
Beginner friendly
Pretty/luxury resort with snow in resort if possible
Not too busy
Good food
Short transfer

Some options I have discovered are
Lech
Avoriaz
Les Arcs
Les Gets
Courchavel
Flaine
Megève

I appreciate any insight on which of these resorts hit our criteria best as well as any alternative suggestions.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Astontech, If vfm is a criteria i'd rule out Lech, Megeve and Courchevel straight away. If I was choosing one of the remainder i'd choose Les Arcs, Avoriaz, or Flaine but pretty and luxury they aren't whereas the others mentioned are and charge appropriately. Only been to Les Gets once and wouldn't go back. Suggest adding Flims/ Laax to your list.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Markymark29 wrote:
@Astontech, If vfm is a criteria i'd rule out Lech, Megeve and Courchevel straight away. If I was choosing one of the remainder i'd choose Les Arcs, Avoriaz, or Flaine but pretty and luxury they aren't whereas the others mentioned are and charge appropriately. Only been to Les Gets once and wouldn't go back. Suggest adding Flims/ Laax to your list.

Thanks!

Why would you not return to gets?

Out of Avoriaz, flaine and Arcs high is prettier/more of a luxury resort?

I’ll check out the others, thanks.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Astontech, Austria over France every time for value for money, especially if you are a family or large group planning on lunching on the Mountain. Suggest Maria-Alm on the Hochkonig, Bad Gastein or Wagrain if flying to Salzburg. Kaltenbach, Alpbach from Innsbruck. Italy can be good too, somewhere like Alta Badia on the Sella Ronda, but much longer transfers, maybe Courmayor if you can fly to Turin.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Astontech,
Are you looking for a package (ie tour operator sorts out flight, transfers, accommodation, lift pass, kit hire, lessons etc), or doing it all yourself?
What sort of accommodation and what board?
What airport are you looking to fly from & what day of the week?
What is the breakdown of the group?
Do you have a budget?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Astontech wrote:
Out of Avoriaz, flaine and Arcs high is prettier/more of a luxury resort?

None of them are pretty. Les Arcs 1950 is the least worst.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cost isn’t the largest concern for me, just want to make it a great trip.

I can spend probably 3k for a week.

I’m open to booking it all myself or via an operator.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Astontech wrote:

Just you then? Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
Astontech wrote:

Haha I hope not, that’s for accom and flights btw
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

None of them are pretty. Les Arcs 1950 is the least worst.

Arc1600 probably has the prettiest views, provided you do not look at the Club Med. The views straight across the valley to Mont Blanc are fantastic. The Cachette hotel is IMHO fairly luxurious (as is the hideous Club Med) , but it is not a resort I would reccomend for absolute beginners. The Taj-I Mah in 2000 probably meets the luxury hotel criteria well and is a good area for beginners

I must add a rider here - most accommodation is luxurious to me provided: it isn't too cold, I have my own bed (or at least only sharing with my wife), and there are no infestations.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lech is pricey and is not really ski in ski out unless you base yourself in Oberlech which is very pleasant.

If attractiveness of resort is important Flaine should be near the bottom of your list unless you are a fan of brutalist architecture.
Avoriaz and Les Arcs are no beauties either.
All three area have attractive scenery if the resorts looks are not important.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Astontech wrote:
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
Astontech wrote:

Haha I hope not, that’s for accom and flights btw

Per person?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Astontech, this is your first time trip, but in order of importance you have put ski in ski out as most important - can you already ski then? if not how are you going to ski out? and skiing back in may not be suitable for beginners, depending where the lessons finish
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kenzie wrote:
@Astontech,
Are you looking for a package (ie tour operator sorts out flight, transfers, accommodation, lift pass, kit hire, lessons etc), or doing it all yourself?
Do you have a budget?

I can do package or sort it all myself, if not more than 20% cheaper, I’d get a package.

Breakfast would be ideal but not essential.

I am happy to go in the second half of Jan, any time, between 5-7 days.

BHX airport.

Budget can be flexible but I was thinking around 3-4k all in.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Astontech, this is your first time trip, but in order of importance you have put ski in ski out as most important - can you already ski then? if not how are you going to ski out? and skiing back in may not be suitable for beginners, depending where the lessons finish

I can ski a little.

We will be having a few lessons including learn to ski in a day at snowdome.

Would you advise against that?

Happy to take any suggestions on resort!
latest report
Astontech wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
@Astontech,
Do you have a budget?

I can do package or sort it all myself, if not more than 20% cheaper, I’d get a package.

Breakfast would be ideal but not essential.

I am happy to go in the second half of Jan, any time, between 5-7 days.

BHX airport, preferably flying into Geneva.

Budget can be flexible but I was thinking around 3-4k all in.
latest report
Astontech wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

I can ski a little.

We will be having a few lessons including learn to ski in a day at snowdome.

Would you advise against that?

Happy to take any suggestions on resort!

I think you need to look very carefully at the ski in ski out access before you book, and how far it is from the lesson meeting point, which will likely be up a lift.

real snow, on a real mountain is very different to a snow dome. It could be icy in January, or knee high snow if it snows overnight

I would advise against it
snow report
Laax is not a bad shout...
snow report
@Astontech, though ski in/ski out is often used as a phrase it is atually very rarely possible, but less than 100m walk for a beginner is very feasible and IMHO highly desirable. As @holidayloverxx, suggests look at the ski school meeting point as your starting point as that will be your target every morning. Try and find accommodation close to it. I would avoid places where a bus is required.

I would suggest that dry slope or indoor slope lessons before you go would be a good idea.
ski holidays
@Astontech, I, like many others here, have forgotten to reccomend getting hold of the book "where to ski and snowboard" it gives lots of good resort reviews and advice for every level of skier.
latest report
Avoriaz is true ski in/out. Even so, some accommodation can result in poling 50 yards or so, either in the 'ski out' or 'ski in' phase. But, there will be no tarmac anywhere (except in the thaw around April).

Avoriaz architecture is pretty unique. It's not 'Swiss chocolate box' chalet style, but it is fairly original - and not brutalist/soviet. It could be a bit of a Marmite thing, that the aesthetic can rub people up the wrong way, and others find it great. Check out the photos.

If you want luxury there are at least a couple of hotels (and high end apts & chalets) where you can spend plenty of money, e.g. Mil8.
snow conditions
This one whiffs of another time waster. Are vfm and luxury not somewhat contradictory?
snow report
crosbie wrote:
Avoriaz is true ski in/out. Even so, some accommodation can result in poling 50 yards or so, either in the 'ski out' or 'ski in' phase. But, there will be no tarmac anywhere (except in the thaw around April).

Avoriaz architecture is pretty unique. It's not 'Swiss chocolate box' chalet style, but it is fairly original - and not brutalist/soviet. It could be a bit of a Marmite thing, that the aesthetic can rub people up the wrong way, and others find it great. Check out the photos.

If you want luxury there are at least a couple of hotels (and high end apts & chalets) where you can spend plenty of money, e.g. Mil8.

Thanks!

I am leaning towards a hotel in Avoriaz, easy to get to, seems beginner friendly and the hotels look pretty nice!
latest report
Mollerski wrote:
This one whiffs of another time waster. Are vfm and luxury not somewhat contradictory?

In the context of this thread, no.

I am going in Jan vals Christmas as that time is better vfm versus Xmas.

I am still looking for a higher end hotel/accommodation Very Happy
latest report
Higher end flights and accommodations will go a bit more than 3k but I guess that depends on your definition of higher end....

Obergurgl. Hotel Alpenland (I've not stayed but it fits your budget).
ski holidays
Value for Money and Good food - dont forget Italy.
Ski-in, ski-out. Hard to get outside of France. And you do tend to pay a premiuim.
As a middle ground n term of cost - Austria. I dont think you can go wrong with somewhere like the Ski Welt for beginners.
ski holidays
Astontech wrote:
I am leaning towards a hotel in Avoriaz, easy to get to, seems beginner friendly and the hotels look pretty nice!

https://www.hotelmil8.com (Estd. 2008).

https://www.hoteldesdromonts.com
snow conditions
@Astontech,

Have a look at Alpe D'Huez. Generally the accommodation isn't to far from a lift out of the town to the slopes and there may be the odd place with ski in/out but as mentioned above you don't really need this. Transfer's aren't too long. Good food, well it's France and you should be able to find somewhere, it's great for beginners with a huge bowl above the resort and they've got a reasonable snow record. Pretty, not really after all it's a French ski resort Very Happy However, I think any mountain view, when covered by snow, is beautiful.

To me if the skiing is good, the scenery is pretty, I'm not fussed in how the town looks.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Astontech wrote:

I am wondering if anybody here has recommendations for resorts, our requirements are below in order of importance.

Ski in ski out

confused - this is your first trip? can you already ski?

At first, I would say go stay in an Austrian town & forget about skiing in/out, close to a gondola or ski school meeting point if you are having lessons.
Forget about the list you have. You won't see 1/10th of marked runs you are paying €300 on a lift pass for.

but I would probably recommend somewhere like Bardonecchia as a first trip.
It's small, reasonably good value for money & should fit your budget without cramping style... and not far from Turin
ski holidays
As others have said look at how close the Ski Lesson meeting point is. It can be slightly different locations for various schools.. i.e. ESF in one village and Ski Evolution in a neighbouring village etc..

A short walk won't be too much hassle.
latest report
You could do worse than Valloire, a traditional French village with good skiing for beginners and a link across to Valmeinier if you progress well enough. Easily reachable from Turin through the Frejus tunnel or from Lyon. Not stayed there but the Christiania Hotel is lovely and has everything you need for a few days including all inclusive packages of half board and lift passes.

https://tourism.valloire.net/hotellerie/christiania-hotel-valloire/
ski holidays
andmelffion wrote:
You could do worse than Valloire, a traditional French village with good skiing for beginners and a link across to Valmeinier if you progress well enough. Easily reachable from Turin through the Frejus tunnel or from Lyon. Not stayed there but the Christiania Hotel is lovely and has everything you need for a few days including all inclusive packages of half board and lift passes.

https://tourism.valloire.net/hotellerie/christiania-hotel-valloire/

It's not a cheap or short transfer though. Especially for two, as you would a private transfer or a long transfer by public transfer.
Lovely place & worth the extra hassle

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 12-09-23 17:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Hi

Best Ski area is 3 valleys....cheapest place to stay is La Tania...ski in ski out, ski school on doorstep...with 600 kilometres of Pisted runs in the 3 valleys, La Tania has the 2 best 1 x Green and 1 x Red tree lined. The green is winding through trees..brilliant and great fun for beginners and intermediates, the Red run (classed as a blue) is awesome. Resort has some great restaurants
ski holidays
Actually, Valloire might be a good choice, but since you will be staying in an old mountaineering centre getting to the ski school meeting place may be a trek. Just over the hill is Valmeinier, a small and IMHO attractive resort with good views across the Maurienne valley. It is much more compact. As @Gored, says the transfer will not be cheep, about £50 each way and take about 4 hours. The key is to get the train or bus to Saint Michel de Maurienne and get the local bus from there.
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
Actually, Valloire might be a good choice, but since you will be staying in an old mountaineering centre getting to the ski school meeting place may be a trek. Just over the hill is Valmeinier, a small and IMHO attractive resort with good views across the Maurienne valley. It is much more compact. As @Gored, says the transfer will not be cheep, about £50 each way and take about 4 hours. The key is to get the train or bus to Saint Michel de Maurienne and get the local bus from there.

Train to St Michel or just pick a car up at Lyon or Turin whereby self drive is under 2 hours from either direction (weather permitting)
snow conditions
johnE wrote:

ESF have a school right next to hotel christiana & bubble lift.
ESI meet at one of the 2 gondolas.
ski holidays
San Cassiano / La Villa / Corvara make up the Alta Badia valley on the Sella Ronda (Dolomites in Italy). Plenty of high end accommodation, great scenery, beginner friendly with superb ski schools and the best on-mountain food anywhere (my opinion of course!). 1.5 hr transfer from Innsbruck. Shout if you want any help
ski holidays
Chatel.
snow report
I came across Club Med in Samoens, 1600m.

They provide a complete all inclusive skiing holiday for around the 3k mark for 2 people (including lessons, flights and transfers) - seems pretty good (5 nights).

Any thoughts on this as well as other club med resorts?

Is Samoens a good location for beginners?
snow report
@Astontech, 5 nights? Nope. Only 4 days on snow...not enough to progress
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy