Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to the Alps - checklist

Poster: A snowHead
As I know you are all super helpful folk ..
Thanks to the new announcement we are now full steam ahead planning our trip for the 30th, which involves driving in a single day, from Eurotunnel to Sainte Foy.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks for the journey, and sensible thing to pack. I was thinking a little car pack with consumables like washer fluid etc etc and we have the stuff you need to be in France. Obviously our ski gear!

We were just going to point our nose towards sainte foy and go!

But any tips welcome! Thank you!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Top it up before you go with screenwash that doesn't freeze and save space in the car. You can buy it in Halfords Very Happy

Loo roll - some french aires might be basic. Loo roll is always handy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3273704&highlight=driving+checklist#3273704
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Practice putting your snowchains one warm sunny afternoon
Take headtorch and thin gloves in case you need to put on in dark
Drinks and snacks for car
Toilet roll for the Aires just in case
CDs/ipod/audio books - French Radio is crap
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Amazing thank you for the link! I'm using my phone and the tiny screen made searching hard Eh oh!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Before leaving home, check anti-freeze, tyres, washer fluid etc

Motor cert
Breakdown Tel no
European Driver Pack
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Head torch great shout!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boris wrote:

Plus something to kneel on, a bit of disposable cardboard or a car foot mat.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@cbr I've written a blog piece for our rental apartment website which discusses this exact topic:

Self-drive to the Swiss Alps - Preparation

which you may find a useful read. It covers France and Switzerland. A few bits are Swiss-specific but most of it applies generically. If you're driving to Austria, there may be a few things it doesn't mention (like the Austrian motorway vignette). One of the links in the blog is to the RAC Guide to Driving Abroad, which I've found to be pretty accurate and up-to-date.

What it doesn't cover is the specific Covid documentation and certificates you'll need, because (as we've seen) these change so regularly. But it des have links to the official, source pages for the UK and French governments, which will have this information. If you're crossing via Eurotunnel, I've found that their customer pages seem to be kept updated and are pretty accurate.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 13-01-22 17:20; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@cbr, Welcome to snowHeads you will find he search function top left brings back many threads on the same subject. - That should keep you busy for a couple of hours (:
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sunday is a good day to travel, roads-wise, but be aware that French supermarkets, except in resorts, will be shut. If your car will be marked outside in St Foy, and in the hope that you get fresh snow during the week, a shovel would be a good thing to have, as well as a small stiffish brush to get snow off the windows. If you are already familiar with the route, fine. But if not, don't follow a satnav into the mountains without checking that it's not sending you up roads likely to be closed.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Noting this thread as we have plans to drive, albeit over more than one day
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Sunday is a good day to travel, roads-wise, but be aware that French supermarkets, except in resorts, will be shut.

The Intermarché chain opens on Sunday mornings, not just in resorts.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ster wrote:
Boris wrote:

Plus something to kneel on, a bit of disposable cardboard or a car foot mat.

THIS! Kneeling in the slush or snow is not pleasant!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

The Intermarché chain opens on Sunday mornings, not just in resorts

Thanks. I'm out of date, @rjs, that's very useful.
latest report
Get a telepeage from Eurotunnel website https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/promotions/emovis-tag/ but probably only worth it if you are going more than once
also

Beam Deflectors
Spare light bulbs (Ridiculous but still French Law)
UK sticker (Not EU stars and GB on your number plate ) Theres a whole thread on that!
Yellow tabard(s)
Breathalyser needed but no fine if you dont!
Warning triangle
Breakdown Insurance (Check it covers vehicle repatriation - I've had two bought back over the years!)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 13-01-22 17:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Don't forget a warning triangle too.
snow report
@boredsurfin, breathalyser reqt was scrapped wasn't it?
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, sort off, apparently its still required but there's no fine for not having one! How French is that!
Same as a spare set of lightbulbs, some cars the headlight unit is one fitting costing over £1000 rolling eyes Most folk couldn't begin to change it!
I have a 20+ year old set of bulbs in the car just in case I get stopped by some arsey Gendarme looking to make up his tally of tickets.
snow report
Boris wrote:
Drinks and snacks for car
Toilet roll for the Aires just in case
CDs/ipod/audio books - French Radio is crap

You are right, I am well out of practice, never having had to do it in anger. Only a day to get that done and I am pretty busy tomorrow... Also the head torch, there is an ordinary torch in the car but seems like a good idea. Ditto toilet roll. Not sure about the snacks, would need to get those through customs.
latest report
Quote:

Not sure about the snacks, would need to get those through customs

Biscuits, chocolate - good standbys. I always have cheap chocolate in my car - bottom shelf stuff - because then I know I'll only use it in an emergency. And sealed bottles of still water. You'll be glad of those when you're camping out in a school gym in Bourg St Maurice in a blizzard.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
You'll be glad of those when you're camping out in a school gym in Bourg St Maurice in a blizzard.

Don't want to think about it! But yes, plan for the worst.
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
@holidayloverxx, sort off, apparently its still required but there's no fine for not having one! How French is that!
Same as a spare set of lightbulbs, some cars the headlight unit is one fitting costing over £1000 rolling eyes Most folk couldn't begin to change it!
I have a 20+ year old set of bulbs in the car just in case I get stopped by some arsey Gendarme looking to make up his tally of tickets.

I really think there is no reqt to carry one any more. There was a clause in a bill a few years ago that scrapped it.. maybe it didn't go through
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, it’s the same a our (UK) law that a Hackney Carriage must carry a bale of hay between its rear wheels.

As @boredsurfin, says, it’s a law but no fine for non compliance.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

. . sealed bottles of still water . . .

Good stuff, but I also prefer to ensure that I have taken all those freezable bottles of liquid out if I'm stopping overnight or longer anywhere that sub-zero temperatures prevail.
Once I had a sealed bottle of cola split when parked up in resort.

I expect it was partly the altitude as well, but the freeze/thaw mess it created was so awful and it never cleaned up properly, not to mention the lingering aromas.
snow conditions
I’m sure you’ll be fine with what you’ve got but this is what I take with me.
Lithium battery pack (in car battery is flat at end of the week)
Thermos of tea.
Gardening pad (to kneel on) plus Waterproofs to change into if you need to put snow chains on.
I also make sure I can shift lug nuts and spray with white grease before I put back on.
Spare tyre is a unidirectional snow tyre.
Snow tyres have been put on so that they rotate in correct directions (drove for a whole season with all tyres incorrect).
ski holidays
j b wrote:
pam w wrote:
You'll be glad of those when you're camping out in a school gym in Bourg St Maurice in a blizzard.

Don't want to think about it! But yes, plan for the worst.
Very Happy

Friends got "allocated" a space in arc 1600 on a Saturday night when we were all driving to 1800 in heavy snow conditions, absolutely epic werk followed though Very Happy

"Cooking" blocks of stoned dates are good as high energy contingency, compact long dated Very Happy and no prep. Bananas amusingly go black if left overnight in a frozen car NehNeh

If you've a diesel engined car, take a can of e-z-start to spray into air intake if it won't start. It's the first thing that rescue service will try if you call them so might as well save delay.

If parked outside for a week and leaving on Saturday to return, start the car on Thursday and run it for 30 minutes to get properly warmed in a decent cycle to charge battery. If you do it then and find it's not going to start it'll allow friday to call assistance with much more chance of prompt service instead of a change over Saturday.
snow report
@cbr, great place to ski, hope you enjoy the week.

We ordinarily drive in one whole journey there too, ovenight outward and day return and enjoy the whole adventure.

If you've got indoor parking booked there, access is usually good to get luggage in. If not, the reception on most of the buildings will give you a temporary pass to drive in and unload with likewise to conclude the week in exit. Just makes it easier to work round.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A collapsable shovel or two (Avy shovel) for digging car out if you get a dump and have outside parking.
A brush from your accommodation is much better for clearing the snow off a car than the little plastic scrapers that we have over here or doing it with your hands..
Clear off the roof, bonnet and front as well.
Put your chains on before you REALLY need them not after! You may be the only one putting them on, but everyone else may be on more suitable rubber than you.
Have a good drive down.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy