Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best groomed pistes

Poster: A snowHead
Where has the best maintained pistes in general but also when conditions are bad?

I know totally subjective however, I've been to some resorts where there has been no snow but they seem to maintain runs well or the general make up and geography of the resort means it stands up well.

I've noticed the French seem to take pride in having good pistes and equipment. Val disere stands out.

Any others of note?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@therock, I think many people will say Italy since there is a perception that skiers in Italy prefer to look good between coffee stops hence needing perfectly groomed pistes Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Deer Valley Utah and Courchevel are probably my suggestions.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have not noticed any significant differences in Europe. Even JPN is the same.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In Europe, Italy IMHO.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Italy, especially the Dolomites.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Vail used to do midday grooming, not sure if they still do or not. Fun to see the procession of groomers heading out Madeye-Smiley

Beaver Creek, along with Aspen/Snowmass would be up there too
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lech Oberlech and Zurs - certainly in the days when I used to ski that way from St Anton.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bones wrote:
Vail used to do midday grooming, not sure if they still do or not. Fun to see the procession of groomers heading out Madeye-Smiley

Beaver Creek, along with Aspen/Snowmass would be up there too

That is interesting would certainly help on home runs in some resorts.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Deer Valley is just downright dangerous - catches sun so groomers get somewhat icy and too many reckless entitled types. I'd say Italy based on lack of natural snow and the fact every Tom, Dick or Luigi is a member of the National Artisan Plumbers race team (or at least that's what their jackets say.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Beaver Creek. The pistes are groomed throughout the day by a fleet of Piston Bullies driving in formation to justify the $209 day lift pass Shocked

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 13-01-22 8:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
La Feclaz. Just perfect yesterday, it's so small that there is probably only one driver. But boy, is he good.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some may prefer Winter Parks approach of grooming half the width of the piste so to give the option to ski bumps or bail out.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
halfhand wrote:
@therock, I think many people will say Italy since there is a perception that skiers in Italy prefer to look good between coffee stops hence needing perfectly groomed pistes Laughing

Italian skiing priorities:

1. Bella figura
2. A good lunch
3. Nice, well-groomed pistes to get to and from lunch.

I like this attitude, not least because of the benefit I get from it Very Happy

(Not mastered the “bella figura” bit though and I still look like a sack of **** compared to the average Italian)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
k2bob wrote:
Beaver Creek. The pistes are groomed throughout the day by a fleet of Piston Bullies driving in formation to justify the $209 day lift pass Shocked

Wow, I would want to ski all day behind a piste basher for that price.
latest report
k2bob wrote:
Some may prefer Winter Parks approach of grooming half the width of the piste so to give the option to ski bumps or bail out.

I noticed this in 4v last week. It seemed to work well but by the end of the day the pistes were all the same anywya. Which prompted the question.

I noted some icey pistes then 30cm of snow and still the same icy pistes. No work appeared to have been done to fix the icy bit. I was down the piste within 30mins of opening so wasn't late in the day. Just seemed to me like no care was taken juts a piste basher gone over it and on to the next bit. I would have thought with that much snow they could have put some work into it.

I did notice an incredibly high standard of skiing though In the 4v so maybe people not that bothered

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 13-01-22 10:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
There used to be (perhaps there still is) a European piste bashing competition. A bit like a farm ploughing competition. For years a guy in Gavarnie (French Pyrenees) won. It was said that he treated his pistes like a Cuban lady rolling a cigar on her thigh. That and the language was of course a long time ago, but the admittedly limited pistes were always immaculate.
snow conditions
therock wrote:
k2bob wrote:

Wow, I would want to ski all day behind a piste basher for that price.

Dont worry, not many people pay that price - keeps the day tourists away Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I would say that the eastern alps have the most reliable groomed runs in Europe.

The east is cooler, drier and more sheltered than the higher western alps which receive and hold more snow but which can suffer from icy runs caused by saturated pistes and scouring by the wind.

The terrain in the east is also less rocky and the pistes tend to be wider and less steep than the west. The east of Austria and the Dolomites are mostly grassy pasture in summer and do not need much snow to become skiable.

That part of the Alps has evolved a highly managed approach to piste preparation that is not reliant on natural snowfall. In November and December they make enough snow to last the whole season. Natural snow is then a bonus rather than a necessity. Consequently they open early and generally stay open every day until the end of the season.

In the Dolomites they groom the slopes every night. It’s not at the top of the list for deep snow skiing but the quality of the pisted runs has proved a successful formula for reliable holiday skiing.
latest report
"Midday grooming", the mirage we all want but don't get. Beyond the obvious cost, those dudes work all night, so there isn't anyone available during the day. Then there is the difficulty of closing a run sufficiently to (a) groom it, and (b) satisfy the offices of risk management and general counsel that they won't kill someone in the process.

I think Silver Star in BC sets itself apart in the grooming realm by having more winchcat-groomed black runs than any other place I've been. Their Powder Gulch chair may serve more long, interesting groomers than any other lift I can think of.
snow report
Peter S wrote:
I would say that the eastern alps have the most reliable groomed runs in Europe.

The east is cooler, drier and more sheltered than the higher western alps which receive and hold more snow but which can suffer from icy runs caused by saturated pistes and scouring by the wind.

The terrain in the east is also less rocky and the pistes tend to be wider and less steep than the west. The east of Austria and the Dolomites are mostly grassy pasture in summer and do not need much snow to become skiable.

That part of the Alps has evolved a highly managed approach to piste preparation that is not reliant on natural snowfall. In November and December they make enough snow to last the whole season. Natural snow is then a bonus rather than a necessity. Consequently they open early and generally stay open every day until the end of the season.

In the Dolomites they groom the slopes every night. It’s not at the top of the list for deep snow skiing but the quality of the pisted runs has proved a successful formula for reliable holiday skiing.

This is interesting. There is general perception that bigger and higher is better when Brits book their annual ski holiday. So tend to gravitate towards the west. Rather than look elsewhere for reliable slopes. I'm sure if resorts could market smooth ice free runs there would be some demand.
latest report
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
"Midday grooming", the mirage we all want but don't get. Beyond the obvious cost, those dudes work all night, so there isn't anyone available during the day. Then there is the difficulty of closing a run sufficiently to (a) groom it, and (b) satisfy the offices of risk management and general counsel that they won't kill someone in the process.

I think Silver Star in BC sets itself apart in the grooming realm by having more winchcat-groomed black runs than any other place I've been. Their Powder Gulch chair may serve more long, interesting groomers than any other lift I can think of.

Interesting looking resort. Is somewhere like that mainly used by locals or would it be a holdiay destination? 5hrs from Vancouver
snow report
Told my mrs I want to spend a night in a piste basher for my 50th - she wasn’t impressed….
latest report
Quote:

This is interesting. There is general perception that bigger and higher is better when Brits book their annual ski holiday. So tend to gravitate towards the west. Rather than look elsewhere for reliable slopes. I'm sure if resorts could market smooth ice free runs there would be some demand.

Shhh, that's why those of us that know go to the Dolomites where it's quiet and civilised and leave the majority of our compatriots to queue all day in 3V or Val etc!
ski holidays
@therock, excuse me for saying "both". Yes, Silver Star is for the locals in Vernon, just like Sun Peaks is for the Kamloops locals, and Big White is for the Kelowna locals, etc. But also, these three have perfected the ski-in, ski-out thing, so any of them are great for holidays as well. Silver Star's colorful village paint scheme is....not for everyone, but I don't choose my ski resorts based on that. SS also has some really fun and unusual beginner tree skiing, and a fab bakery. I love skiing down to the lift in the morning, and skiing down to my room in the afternoon. Can't do that very many places. But those black groomers....and the super long Gypsy Queen and Sunny Ridge...you can spend all day on that lift. A tip: it is one full notch colder back there.
snow report
Scooter in Seattle, Agree about Powder Gulch Chair Madeye-Smiley
therock, Mainly used by locals, and Canadians for short stays - as a holiday destination for International travellers, many folks combine it with Big White or Sun Peaks too. Its great with fresh snow - which we've always had, and its usually been quiet.

We've been a number of times but part of a roadtrip, so just passing through really - 2/3 days, here and there Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
I remember Staying in Courchevel at the end of the season a few years back. The pistes were superbly groomed. Meribel however was shocking, would have been better off not bothering just frozen ruts and death rocks all over the place. Got the feeling the 1st year apprentice was driving the piste basher.
ski holidays
Anywhere that's quiet.

Anywhere that's busy will have pistes which are a poo-poo-show by midday.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Best maintained pistes - probably Deer Valley as stated, but as a snowboarder I'm fortunately not compelled to check it out. I guess I don't really see the issue: if people want to ride frozen corduroy... well it's going to be a bit teeth rattling whatever they do with it. I guess I'm just unconsciously picky where I ride, so I don't really have any problems with "grooming" anywhere, if that makes sense. If it's all frozen I'd probably know that already and be somewhere else.

---
Off topic but I'm a big fan of Silver Star, Sun Peaks and Big White, which have the advantage of not being marketed to people who want to be "hardcore", so the untracked remains untracked there longer. Silver Star does have better baked goods - I wasn't sure why but if they actually have a real bakery, that'll be it. I was in Big White a few days ago... "grooming" wasn't really the issue. Here's the massive early morning line-up.

I've found the same true in the Alps, with the "hard core" places being a bit of a bun fight for lines, and the "family" resorts being much easier to get fresh tracks in.

Quote:
Is somewhere like that mainly used by locals or would it be a holdiay destination? 5hrs from Vancouver
Kelowna is an international airport. I think in truth they're mainly locals and in normal times there's a significant Australian contingent because of the resort ownership.
snow report
Bones wrote:
Scooter in Seattle, Agree about Powder Gulch Chair Madeye-Smiley
therock, Mainly used by locals, and Canadians for short stays - as a holiday destination for International travellers, many folks combine it with Big White or Sun Peaks too. Its great with fresh snow - which we've always had, and its usually been quiet.

We've been a number of times but part of a roadtrip, so just passing through really - 2/3 days, here and there Madeye-Smiley

Just been browsing all the resorts online they all look amazing, totally different to the alps - those lift pass prices though! wow!
snow conditions
stevomcd wrote:
Anywhere that's quiet.

Anywhere that's busy will have pistes which are a poo-poo-show by midday.

yeah but thats my point, its how they then get them back into good shape after. I skied down many home runs that are a mess then next day still a mess but also resorts where you think its going to be horrendous and its perfect. Those are the ones that seem to be the well groomed and looked after ones (or there is some other factor at play maybe).
latest report
3offthetee wrote:
I remember Staying in Courchevel at the end of the season a few years back. The pistes were superbly groomed. Meribel however was shocking, would have been better off not bothering just frozen ruts and death rocks all over the place. Got the feeling the 1st year apprentice was driving the piste basher.

Interesting you say that as I had a similar experience on the other side VT and Les Menuire was in good shape but Meribel pretty awful but slightly different heights so probably better snow on the whole in VT and Meribel probably has more traffic.
snow conditions
Meribel melts like nowhere on the planet at the end of season yet still has heavy traffic - South facing slopes on a sunny day are basically no goes in the afternoon and I like my slush. Altitude + aspect + traffic.
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Meribel melts like nowhere on the planet at the end of season yet still has heavy traffic - South facing slopes on a sunny day are basically no goes in the afternoon and I like my slush. Altitude + aspect + traffic.

That doesn't excuse the poor quality grooming, just looked as though one piste basher had been up and down missing more than he groomed. Total death trap early doors before it softened.

Not seen anything like it before of since and can't blame slushy pistes the afternoon before for an inabilty overlap the tiller passes when grooming.
ski holidays
We arrived in Schladming a few years ago after a longish spell without any snow and the pistes were in brilliant condition. Was really impressed.
snow conditions
Scooter in Seattle wrote:

Does daytime pisting even work? I once heard the snow had to 'rest' afterwards to let the water filter out of the snow's agitated state to get a good result.
latest report
DidierCouch wrote:

Does daytime pisting even work? I once heard the snow had to 'rest' afterwards to let the water filter out of the snow's agitated state to get a good result.

I certainly need to 'rest' after skiing it and give time for the beer to filter out! snowHead
snow report
3offthetee wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

That doesn't excuse the poor quality grooming, just looked as though one piste basher had been up and down missing more than he groomed. Total death trap early doors before it softened.

You can't actually groom snow that is still isothermic.
snow report
@therock, yeah, for sure, but you're kind of missing my point. Go somewhere quiet, the pistes are good all day.
latest report
@DidierCouch, it is best to allow a groomed slope to set up for a few hours so it'll last a while before getting bumped out. If you've ever actually followed a cat down a slope, that five-second-old cord ain't too shabby. But soon its an egg carton.

Some areas tell you if the slope was groomed PM (from closing the day before until midnight) or AM (midnight to opening). They typically groom the green runs in the AM so they're softer and more forgiving at opening, and since they have gentle slopes they are not as subject to getting carved up as much as something steeper. This AM/PM difference is important and especially big in spring: the PM groomers are hard as a rock for 2-3 hours while the AMs will take an edge right away. By knowing this and watching the sun, you can find good slopes until your legs are shot.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy