Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 21-28 Jan 2024

Poster: A snowHead
I'll start be saying that I think this place would be amazing given the right conditions. It has so much potential.

The resort as a whole is basically 4 small linked valleys which span from Briancon to Monetier. We stayed in Odalys Aquisana in Villeneuve which is very new and in great condition, it even has a pool table in the foyer. There is a dedicated bus for that residence which goes to Pointyass and Frejus and back again. The small corner shop nearby wasn't finished so not open.
Travel by coach from Chambery is about 3 hours. Actually as there are two different routes, either through the Frejus tunnel or via Grenoble as happened to us, if one is blocked the other can be used.

There seems to have been quite a bit of investment in infrastructure here recently which is good. New Gondola, new chair lifts. There are quite a few drags but you don't need to take them if you don't want to. Info boards at the bottom and top of Pointyass must be taken with a pinch of salt, best to look out of the window of the gondola, on one day we got it totally wrong, they stated all open so we cruised down to the last chair lift to find it closed which meant a long slide right the way down to the bottom in early morning icy conditions which was a bit frustrating.

The resort for me has a kind of old school feel about it, probably because I generally go to VT and EK mostly. On the hill there's a lot of winding road type pistes through the trees. Up top there seems almost limitless off piste potential given the right conditions, which we didn't have...sob!

There are clean toilets (if you clean up after you) dotted about on the hill which is a pleasant surprise. There are a few tables about where you can picnic. There are also a couple of areas with hot plates where you can cook stuff you've brought with you if you fancy. All very civilised for France I must say.

I was quite surprised in that there wasn't much in town for what is I thought a year round town, a small Sherpa being the only supermarket for example. The Pizza place upstairs was unsurprisingly very busy given that it's pizzas were delicious. I can't comment on any other restaurants because I actually enjoy cooking in the evening and we take pain for lunch.
We drank in Bar Tapas after ending the day. The IPA is a lovely cloudy ale type beer, not too hoppy but very drinkable. The staff are very friendly and gave us free Genepi surprisingly because we only had a couple of drinks every afternoon.

Given the conditions though, I found the skiing/boarding (I swing both ways!) quite limited.

Nobody expects thaw/freeze in January. Wasn't too bad at the start of the week when I was on the board, in the afternoons it softened up and we managed a bit of lift served off piste but as the week progressed the pistes got worse and was unable to find anything off that was in anyway worth it. The conditions were pretty weird actually, not the fault of the resort of course, just the weather. When I could get on the edges and hold it I seemed to accelerate really quickly, much quicker than I would expect. I wonder if this is why the ski racers prefer hard, icy pistes?

I've never seen a piste actually sheet ice before, closed all day too, (as seen from the Pointyass gondola) and as that was a green run down to the bottom the red was carnage.

Having said all that, I can really see that this place would be amazing fun with a bit of snow. There looks to be so much far from the madding crowd if conditions allow.

Would I go back? Definitely. I'd book a late deal if conditions/forecast were favourable, I'd spend most of the day dicking about off piste and more than likely hire a local guide to get away from everyone else that has the same idea!

Still, a bad day in the mountains and all that!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Timely post, was just considering this an an option for the first week of March, might save it for a quieter group and a snowier forecast and switch back to Austria after all!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dubmuffin, We actually packed up at 2pm on our last day because we just weren't having fun anymore, I've never done that before!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@gixxerniknik, Pointyass Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@gixxerniknik, Sounds grim, we can't expect every ski day to go perfectly, but this current period seems worse than usual. Booking anything feels like a risk at he moment - but I can't resist!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@gixxerniknik, why do you think I bailed and went back earlier than usual to the UK for my mid-season break Very Happy

A couple of points where you stayed is 100m from me, we live on the South side just above Odalys.

Once the season is over the whole place closes down and it's nigh on a ghost town (nice peaceful), the few shops and bars all close in the commercial centre where the Tapas bar is located. A much nicer bar is the Cocoon next to the Sherpa, and the 1420 bar upstairs; and did you not explore the old village on the other side of the river?

I've heard how bad the pistes are and it's not looking good for the holidays as there's no snow on the horizon.

I'm heading back Wednesday and will probably resort to more E-Mtb spring ski touring in the Gardiole / Granon sector or up in the Tete Noire area above Serre Barbin on the South side or mini road trip to Les Fonts / Cervieres, though there are some other slack-country S facing routes that might be possible, but I imagine now that many might be skied, so it's only the ones that are less accessible that might be worthwhile.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@KenX, Laughing What else was it going to be christened! Laughing To be fair, after a couple of days I asked my mate which lift you had called Pointless...it just didn't occur to me it was Pointyass!

Maybe we should have a thread on here about renaming lifts/pistes...I bet that would come up with a few classics, probably wouldn't get past Dadmin's spell checker though! Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Could someone please put me out of my misery and tell me what it's actually called? Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Hurtle, Pontillas
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hells Bells, thank you!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
One of my favorite lift name changes is the Prorel chair, my mate always calls it Hampstead, I asked him why and he said "because the liftie's got big teeth" Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My kids used to call Bachas chairlift 'Bash Ass' when they were smaller. Although I think they really meant either Yret or Cibouit.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So my French is a bit sketchy, but Pontillas would either be pronounced Ponty-ya or Ponty-yas depending on if it's either court french or frontier gibberish.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's actually Pointless MK 2 as it's still feckin pointless as a lift!

It really could have been so much better, just believe us "locals" who decry it.

But just as an example, they promote it as a super fast lift that gets you up there in 8 minutes, so you get first lifts only to find that all the surrounding lifts don't open until 09:30 rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@gixxerniknik, Ponty-yas, it's all frontier gibberish round here Laughing
latest report
@Weathercam,
Quote:

But just as an example, they promote it as a super fast lift that gets you up there in 8 minutes, so you get first lifts only to find that all the surrounding lifts don't open until 09:30

Yes, we thought it was a pretty pointless idea too after getting up early enough to get to Pointyass for 8:30 the first day!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy