Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Old skis stil worth it?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello, new to the forum.

My skiing level is currently at about 1/10

I'm a 29 year old guy, being into sports and extreme sports almost all my life, so I think learning skiing won't be much of a problem in terms of learning movements, motor skills and so on.

The thing is: I have old Atomic skiis that my father used back in the 90's, it's something similar to Atomic Arc 837 (I'm not near them to see which model are they). So they are pretty long (about 185-190cm) not flat but very small curve on the sides and pretty heavy compares to modern skis.
The question is: Are they still worth it? Looks like they have good potential for some fast skiing (I love speed of any kind! Very Happy ), but they are pretty heavy for turning. I have used them years ago, and yes they do require a lot of effort, but is the effort worth it, or I should just forget about them and buy something newer?
Thanks, Alex.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Alexkv, no, not worth it. Rent to start with.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And welcome to SnowHeads! Very Happy
Sorry, missed that this was your first post.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
They're ancient. Ski technology has moved on a pace since the 90's. With so little experience I wouldn't buy either. Just rent.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No, no and no! Those skis are ancient. Ski technology has advanced dramatically since the era that those were made. Modern skis are made from lighter materials, are easier to turn and just more fun to ski. You'll also advance your skill level much more quickly. Yeah, the price is right, but that's about it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Definitely look to rent something newer. Or buy second hand.

And I would also urge caution with your assumption that because you are athletic and into extreme sports that you will definitely make quick progress. On average, people like yourself will indeed make quicker progress than the average. BUT sometimes it just does not work like that.

One of my kids is a true nerd, absolutely no interest in or aptitude for regular sports, clumsy and generally seems un-coordinated. And a bit of a space cadet. Brilliant skier, right from the get-go. Also just picked a bike up when a small kid and started riding it. Same with spey casting. Ask him to run or throw a ball at him and absolutely useless!

On the other hand I can't count the number of very athletic individuals I have taught who struggle with their skiing. Some of whom eventually just gave up as found it too frustrating, mostly as they were used to being at the higher end of athletic ability.

Hope you sail through, but would be a good idea to get some early lessons to embed good habits. Heaven know I wish that I had!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No, no and no! Those skis are ancient. Ski technology has advanced dramatically since the era that those were made. Modern skis are made from lighter materials, are easier to turn and just more fun to ski. You'll also advance your skill level much more quickly. Yeah, the price is right, but that's about it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also the bindings may be dangerous
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NO!

Dump them or hang them up on your wall.

Welcome to snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Two major issues:
1. How much technology has improved; modern skis are nicer in so many ways
2. Bindings - Bindings are safety critical (designed so if you fall they release instead of causing seriously nasty leg injuries) and have a limited lifespan, so ones from the 90's are almost certainly well beyond any design life (even if they haven't been skied for years (may even be worse having not been skied as probably not stored properly either); No competent ski shop will work on them (or the skis attached) because if anything goes wrong they potentially have liability (manufacturers indemnify the ski shops against binding failures for models for n years). This also means if you have skis but not boots you may have difficulty renting just boots because of this.

I would rent skis, especially initially - there is a huge variation in skis depending on what you want to do and how you ski;

The first piece of kit to buy is boots;

Properly fitted boots make a huge difference, and it is almost guaranteed rental boots won't fit properly (liners mould to the feet and most people I have come across need some shell tweaking for a perfect fit...) even if good enough to start... They also have (in my opinion/experience) far less variation than skis; generally other than alpine vs pin bindings your decision is dominated by what fits properly at a good boot fitter.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As long as the bindings are serviced and in good condition you could use these older skis.
It will be a bit harder than using skis made after 1996, but hey you sound like
you know how to do it all and you'll soon be whizzing past the rest of those mere mortals.

You will have to develop a more vintage style of skiing.
Find some old books such as "How to ski for dummies" pre 1996 edition.
You probably won't be able to find any instructors that can teach
Stem Turns and Chritianas and the ultimate "Parallel Skiing" that still have their own teeth.

Here a video to help you on your way.

http://youtube.com/v/zQpu0IiU2uk

It would be a good idea to take out third party insurance though.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Definitely rent some modern skis and to start with ideally rent your boots - if you do find that you are loving your skiing and improving after a few holidays then the very flexible boots that most beginners start with will need to be upgraded to some stiffer ones (which themselves are not ideal to start with - so it's worth waiting before buying at the beginning).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@oui4ski, beginners do not want very flexible boots.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, fair enough - maybe "more flexible" than intermediate/advanced boots is a better description! It used to be the case as a total beginner that you didn't want every leg movement to be transferred to your skis.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@oui4ski, to a limited degree, as you get better you might want stiffer boots, but you want to start out in at least the right flex for your weight. And you really want adequate support and transmission. I have a strong suspicion that many adult beginners find it such a struggle because their boots are way too soft and fit so badly (i.e. are way too big so that no-one's uncomfortable). Braehead, I'm looking at you.

You wouldn't want to learn to drive a car with a loosely fitting steering wheel would you?

Per resident expert @CEM,

"flex numbers are variable between brands and even models within brands, but i am firmly of the belief that no adult male should be in a boot of less than 100 flex, and if he is xxKg and skis at anything more than a very basic level i would be looking at a 120 flex or there abouts",

... being a neat quote from thread https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4903166#4903166

Beware, crap hire shops seem able to source softer crapper boots.
snow conditions
Ok, thanks for advices everyone!
And about boots, I got those old Rossignol R900 ST, which by review in 1990 magazine sound great Very Happy
Juet kidding, don't know their angles or flex but they were feeling ok when I used them...
ski holidays
Rent both. Plenty of French skiers, including very good ones, seem to do fine with rented gear. Where and when are you planning to ski?
latest report
Rent then buy boots 1st then your own skis don't use the 90s kit!!
Is your laptop from the 90s, your phone?
Still playing tennis with a tiny wooden racquet??
Tech moves on......
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy