Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flat piste skis (ie not rail/ system binding)

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for suggestions. Want to get some skis for piste skiing when the touring and offpiste aren’t in, and to practice technique. Need a flat ski that I can quiver killer Shifts on.

Black Crows Divus an option but interested to know of any fully cambered options (without rocker).

For background info: My other skis are BC Atris (with Shift) and BC Camox Freebird (with Radical 2.0). Boots are Tecnica Zero G Pro with upgraded intuition liners.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’ve started an almost identical thread on the Equipment Reviews/ Questions Forum
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@On the rocks, yes and I didn’t want to hijack it! Didn’t think it was quite the same question given different bindings/ boots.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Inboard, cool, hopefully we can both get some useful info. Ficus look interesting but would also be interested in something stiffer and shorter. My R.98s have Radical 2s so QK not best option for me.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Line Blade.....just built to get on edge and carve, flat ski....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Brahma 82 comes to mind here Happy Not a pure carver, but the closest thing to a Latigo.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you are a Black Crows fan then hunt down some Artos. Otherwise pick up some second hand race skis and take the race plate off.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andy'n'netty wrote:
Line Blade.....just built to get on edge and carve, flat ski....

Seconded. Absolutely love them. Only problem from your perspective is that they have a faur amount of rocker on top of the camber and radical sidecut
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have Volkl Mantra's for everything. I do have piste skis but don't use them since I bought these. I also hate wearing ski boots. I bought them after seeing guy in a kilt using a pair and straightlining down the Ben Lawers corries. I think his name was Blair, he went up hill almost as fast as he came down.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you flat mount a binding to a narrow (at the waist) piste ski you could find your ski boot touches the snow when you lean the ski over. You will also lose carving performance since the higher bindings on piste skis give a better mechanical leverage to get up on the edges. The binding set up for freeride and high performance carving is different for a reason!

To get around that you could fit some kind of after market plate. Or buy skis with a plate which you can drill yourself (for example the old Xplate which Nordica used on their race skis was just solid plastic with no predrilled holes, so there should be plenty of room to drill new mounts.) You might pick up a pair of races skis secondhand which fit the bill.

Or compromise on either need to use your existing bindings or go for a wider ski. I personally would just grab a secondhand race ski complete with bindings.....but since I have at least a dozen pairs of skis in my quiver I am not a good person to advise buying more stuff!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all, some interesting suggestions. I suspect the Brahma 82 will make the most sense.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you're going to a dedicated piste ski, why not look at something which is fully piste oriented? Rossi hero/master, Head Speed, Atomic X9/G9, Dynastar Masters etc. etc.

The Brahma is a kind of slimmed down all mountain ski rather than a ski which is developed solely for the piste. Also, 82mm is pretty wide for the piste. I wouldn't be looking wider than 72.

A lot of piste skis come with bindings on a rail system as standard. Swapping bindings from wider skis to piste skis would probably create problems with height and also brake width. For transport, the bindings slide off the rail so you can pack them flat with other skis.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeabut, us serious skiers live in our lightweight comfy boots and quite like them snowHead . And we can pull much more dynamic moves when Austrian table dancing with our Vibram soles.

Circumstances force us to spend some miserable time on piste and we don't want to wear out our beloved fatties on your ice. The OPs question is also in my head. I sent the same question to Bartlett (Shifts on a flat piste ski) and they haven't troubled themselves to respond Confused

Still looking....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks, but as I said in the OP I need something flat so I can quiver killer my Shifts on - I am definitely not buying another pair of boots so need to keep things compatible with existing Zero G Tours, so that rules out (IFAIK) rail bindings.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gotcha! Sorry, didn't read the last line of your OP.... Also, I don't understand any of the words you used Puzzled Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Inboard, Kastle MX83 (or MX75 or RX12). All? Kastles are still sold flat and the RX and MX models still have full camber (possibly with a tiny bit of early rise tip on the MXs but I think they removed that when they revamped the widths two seasons ago).

Not strictly a piste ski due to the width but the MX83 is their most lauded and versatile ski.
snow conditions
82mm should work without a plate, although it will be something of a compromise in terms of carving performance.

For me the harder the snow gets and the sharper my edges are, the happier I am. I would consider myself a serious skier but tastes can vary.....

P.S. I own three pairs of boots, stop making excuses Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy