Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Freeride Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I got a pair of Rossignol Soul 7s (188 length; 136 106 126), bought in 2016, which replaced a pair of Head Monsters; I wanted something that performed off-piste (Heads were v narrow in the waist) but were OK on-piste and the the Soul 7s were the in-vogue ski. Once I had them mastered, they didn't disappoint; tips lost grip on-piste if you pushed them hard which they (apparently) sorted out in future years models. Having skipped a ski trip in 2021 due to Covid I was back in 2022; there was no new snow and the week was pretty much all on-piste. Not sure if it was fitness but a week on-piste with the wide Soul 7s gave my knees a rough ride (cranking them onto the edge); I'm 57 (85kg) but pretty fit/active throughout the year. I've only got a 1 ski quiver as that's all I can realistically take on holiday (flying); having had to suffer sub-optimal hire skis in the past I've always taken my own.

Got me thinking that perhaps a newer pair of freeride skis with less width in the waist might give my knees less of a hammering if I'm confined to on-piste; I'm still keen to keep that off-piste capability though. The equivalent Rossignols (Sender) this year have a similar waist measurement but other makes can be (approx) 5-10mm narrower (eg Ripstick, Mantra) in the waist but still quite wide at the tips. Often it's quite hard to find a hire ski in-resort if you're looking to try before you buy; I bought my Heads in-resort through a shop running a try before you buy scheme but not something that universally offered by shops (tested a number of makes and just a hire fee if you didn't buy) If you're on-piste for most of a week then freeride skis are never going to be the best tool for the job? Have freeride skis evolved enough over the past few years that an upgrade would be a worthwhile investment? I just hope it's not my body telling me to ease up a bit!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are definitely skis in that ~105mm category with designs better optimised for piste performance/carving than the Souls. I know nothing about the Rossis, but take a look at the Fischer Ranger 102 snd Nordica Enforcer
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You need to start driving so you can ship out your quiver!
I do find over 100mm is tough on the knees, currently skiing K2 Poacher at 98mm as a daily ski and some RTM Volkls for those hard pack days.
Enforcer 100s may be on the horizon for me. Lots of choice at that 100mm ish waist and all very versatile. Not too many "bad" skis out there just some will suit you and the conditions you ski a bit more or less than others.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can generally get two pairs of planks in one wheelie ski bag and pay for the extra ski carriage, I use quiver killers so only the one set of bindings which helps. That way if I need to I have a pair of 89mm and a nice pair of floaty 110mm to play with. They were 186 and 184cm long.

Now though I take the 90mm skis plus a board which covers just about every situation possible. snowHead Laughing Laughing

I do have to be a bit careful on what I take and how I pack it all though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shades11 wrote:
I got a pair of Rossignol Soul 7s (188 length; 136 106 126), bought in 2016, which replaced a pair of Head Monsters; I wanted something that performed off-piste (Heads were v narrow in the waist) but were OK on-piste and the the Soul 7s were the in-vogue ski. Once I had them mastered, they didn't disappoint; tips lost grip on-piste if you pushed them hard which they (apparently) sorted out in future years models. Having skipped a ski trip in 2021 due to Covid I was back in 2022; there was no new snow and the week was pretty much all on-piste. Not sure if it was fitness but a week on-piste with the wide Soul 7s gave my knees a rough ride (cranking them onto the edge); I'm 57 (85kg) but pretty fit/active throughout the year. I've only got a 1 ski quiver as that's all I can realistically take on holiday (flying); having had to suffer sub-optimal hire skis in the past I've always taken my own.

Got me thinking that perhaps a newer pair of freeride skis with less width in the waist might give my knees less of a hammering if I'm confined to on-piste; I'm still keen to keep that off-piste capability though. The equivalent Rossignols (Sender) this year have a similar waist measurement but other makes can be (approx) 5-10mm narrower (eg Ripstick, Mantra) in the waist but still quite wide at the tips. Often it's quite hard to find a hire ski in-resort if you're looking to try before you buy; I bought my Heads in-resort through a shop running a try before you buy scheme but not something that universally offered by shops (tested a number of makes and just a hire fee if you didn't buy) If you're on-piste for most of a week then freeride skis are never going to be the best tool for the job? Have freeride skis evolved enough over the past few years that an upgrade would be a worthwhile investment? I just hope it's not my body telling me to ease up a bit!

My brother has the Soul 7's and really regretted buying them. I tried them and didn't like them either, on or off piste. It is of course very subjective, but might explain why you had sore knees. I use a Volkl Mantra102 for everything, although I have piste skis too.It's worth trying a few out when you are on a ski trip.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think the Soul 7’s are the best skis I’ve ever owned, do everything I need them to do. I’m currently looking for another pair @nevis10003 - does your brother want to sell them?!? If not what would other Soul 7 devotees recommend given that Soul 7’s are nearly impossible to buy now? A bit like the Bandits, why do Rossignol feel the need to scrap models that imo are just about perfect!?! (I do know the answer to this question btw!)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Fifespud,
Quote:

Bandits

Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Soul 7s were responsible for putting me off wider skis, I hired some about 6 yrs ago, I hated them on piste but didn't get much chance to test them off piste, I thought the relatively small turn radius would be enjoyable on piste but they just seemed to flap all over the place.
I bought some Head venturi 95s with a 16m turn radius, much better off piste than my 76mm head irallys off piste & not far behind on piste.
The venturis don't have much rocker & they still sink a bit with my 90kg on them

but can still be cranked over quite well on piste, this piste had a few icy patches so I was skiing quite defensively.
Based on my experience with the 95s, I have gone wider with some enforcer 110s @177 / 16.5m radius, slightly shorter than the 95s but I wanted to keep a short turn radius & a smaller ski that I can boss around. The 110s also have a bigger front rocker.
7.5 weeks until I get to test the 110s Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lot to cover there.

Being a 2 week a year punter skier (like to get off piste as much as poss) I have an one set of all mountain skis. They are Dynastar Cham 97's I purchased after binding break on Rossignol B2's (had Bandit's before that) and I had to hire some - was given Cham 87's. I have no issue if skiing mostly on piste due to conditions off piste. Kind of dreading having to get something else tbh because of course once you've found something you like, or perhaps get used to...

It's unclear how you got to buy the Soul 7's or whether you actually really like them. You said "Once I had them mastered" which sounds like there wasn't instant love. I was bought a pair of Movement skis (going cheap) and they were pretty stiff and I kind of didn't like them from the off. I persevered for the week of the trip I was on but when I got home decided to ditch them. My gut feeling you should do the same.

Try before you buy is ideal but not easy to arrange/manage.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 7-12-22 14:03; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999 wrote:
There are definitely skis in that ~105mm category with designs better optimised for piste performance/carving than the Souls. I know nothing about the Rossis, but take a look at the Fischer Ranger 102 snd Nordica Enforcer

I agree with this. The Soul 7s (and I have a few runs on them) are noodlie heavily rockered skis with a big hinge point close to the tip, so they tips give way and fold in soft chop. They do make it easier for intermediates to access off-piste, but they are an old school design now. Due to heavy rocker they are awful on piste. One of the worst skis I have ever skied.

Fishers and Nordica's should be on your radar, and so should Kastle. All have gentle rocker and still float in fresh snow but can carve on piste.

If you want one ski for all, something between 100-105 under foot will do a good job from the modern skis above.

This is what I ski, it's a touring orientated ski at 103 underfoot and handles every thing I have skied on them, and is decent on piste as well. I have two pairs of them in the resort I ski at most, 181 and 189s

https://www.kaestle.com/en/alpine/skis/show/tx103/

Snowcountry have some shorter skis on sale

https://www.snowcountry.eu/kastle-tx103-19-20.html

If you want a beefier ski this should be on your list, they are not cheap but are solid skis that charge.

https://www.kaestle.com/en/alpine/skis/show/fx106-ti/

The Soul 7s really are heavily rockered and soft, they are only good in fresh untracked snow.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@interpaul, Original Soul 7s are traditionally cambered, mine carve fine on piste, obviously not as well as my race skis.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rjs wrote:
@interpaul, Original Soul 7s are traditionally cambered, mine carve fine on piste, obviously not as well as my race skis.

My mate had a pair, you could see the tips flapping when he was on piste - not sure what year they were but they were bright yellow and black.

Really short effective edge, even on the 188cm ski, sure his were 180 or something so skied like 150 on piste.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nordica Enforcer 94 mm seem to get rave reviews ... ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Shades11, Volkl Kendo 92 if the Mantra is not your thing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
interpaul wrote:
rjs wrote:

My mate had a pair, you could see the tips flapping when he was on piste - not sure what year they were but they were bright yellow and black.

They could be like - 2013’s or 2015’s - never been on any that old.
Mine are 2020’s - they’re fab, sure best in soft stuff but fine on piste too, I quite like the challenge of attempting to look cool and nonchalant on them.
I’ve Elan Ripstick 88’s too, I really like them too but I find myself on the Souls more often than not.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy