Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Selva or Val Di Fassa? Italy first time.

Poster: A snowHead
Narrowed it down to two options from Selva Val Gardena or Canezia. Been skiing 3 times and my father a total beginner. Looking for enough skiing for a week, couple of lessons for my old man, nice scenery/traditional resort and a few bars for a beer or 6. What would you guys go with for mid January? Really want to visit somewhere in the Dolomites.

Had to cancel our Austria trip as haven’t had the booster yet.

Booking with Crystal as heard good things about their refund policy.

Thanks all!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Selva Val Gardena has nursery slopes close to the village, Canezia requires a ride up the hill. Can’t speak for the accommodation or night life. snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In my opinion, neither Selva nor Canazei are really great options for total beginners. Selva is not, because there are few good runs for progression beyond the village nursery slopes (you would need to go a bus ride away at Plan de Gralba or Seiser Alm), and neither is Canazei due to the need to take a lift up for any skiing.

Is Corvara an option? It would be more suitable.
If not, then definitely Selva out of the two.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 24-12-21 22:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Having been based in both in the past I would chose Selva out of the 2, much more convenient for the nursery slopes. Nice town with a few good bars and many good restaurants. Been trying to get back there since the first lockdown, 2 cancelled trips both with Crystal and both managed very well by them too. Booked for March 19th so everything is crossed it will happen this time.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree with balso, Corvara would suit you both with immediate access to a plateau of beautiful blue runs giving you access to both La Villa & San Cassiano
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Depends a bit on location and quality of the accommodation, but if it's a nice place near the lifts and the price is the same, I'd go for Selva.

I learned to ski there, started on the nursery slopes in the village, moved up to the steeper slope at the bottom of the Dantercepies run and on the last (5th) day, the Ski School laid on a bus up to the Sella Pass, from where you can ski the blues down around Plan de Gralba and right back into the village at the end of the day. I was so glad of that as we then got a taster of how enjoyable skiing could be with a nice lunch at Comici hut and the spectacular views of the Sassolungo and Sella Massif.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Unfortunately they’re the only two areas left in the Dolomites for Crystal.

My father only wanted some personal lessons on day 1&2 and then happy to hit a few nursery slopes & blues.

More options available for Canazei and cheaper but looks as if Selva is the more popular choice?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Val di Fassa is cheaper than Selva because it is just off the Ronda circuit. The Belvedere bowl (up above Canazei) it a good place to learn, the problem being you need to get there (and back for a beginner) by lift..

Village wise ; Selva is more compact ; Canazei stretches out along the road
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Selva is the premium resort of area a reason. Val di Fassa is great, but Val Gardena has it all in my opinion. Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 26-12-21 12:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry when you say get there and back by a lift do you mean gondola? is that a problem?

I did that when learning?

Thanks

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 24-12-21 23:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nba2005uk wrote:
Sorry when you say get there and back by a lift do you mean gondola? is that a problem?

I did that when learning?

Thanks

Gondola/bubble - yes : Is it a problem? - not really, but as a beginner it would be an extra 'experience' to deal with in Ski boots and carrying Skis ::
In Selva you can walk to the Nursery slopes (depending how far your accommodation is from the Slopes of course..)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ah okay I see what you’re saying.

We will probably rent a locker so not too bothered on the walk but I think we’ll be within 10 mins anyway.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@nba2005uk, See my posts in this thread -- https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=157682 -- regarding the bus service
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not sure whats meant by download back?
Can you not get the gondola back down to the resort?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@nba2005uk, that's what download means..get the gondola down
snow report
@nba2005uk, Of the 2 Selva would be better - and Crystal used to have properties near Plan de Gralba I think?
latest report
Ah a gondola back down is not a problem.

There is a few options for Selva just a lot more expensive. Can you ski back down to the resort in Selva?
snow report
@nba2005uk, Yes and from both sides of the resort.

It's a cracking place, far far better than Canazei

Pozza di Fassa is a better option if you want to over that direction (and it's cheaper)
ski holidays
Canazei, wouldn’t worry about the lifts, they’re all gondolas from the valley up. We never skied back to the resort when we stayed.

The Belvedere area above Canazei is good for improvers but IIRC they also use the Ciampac area for beginners and also an area nr Campitello. There is a decent ski bus down the valley but it’s IMHO not an area that lends itself to beginners not enough joined blues.

Selva is a lovely area with a decent area for beginners. Never stayed there though just skied through

If you want the dolomites you could look at Madonna di Campiglio it’s in the Dolomites and has the scenery but is not part of Dolomiti superski so is sometimes overlooked. They have a dedicated beginner area and more blues than Canazei/Selva but also plenty for intermediates and it’s a nice place.
ski holidays
+1 for Madonna and the village is way better than either Selva or Canazei
snow report
Had a look but very limited options and very expensive.
Plenty of options for Canazei and a fair few for Selva so may choose whichever hotel is closer to the lifts.
ski holidays
nba2005uk wrote:
Plenty of options for Canazei and a fair few for Selva so may choose whichever hotel is closer to the lifts.

Madonna is famously expensive. It's where the well heeled Italians like to be seen. Cool
latest report
Just looked again and only deals I can find now for Selva are so expensive on Crystal. A lot of hotels recently fully booked.

Only decent option is Canazei but not too sure now based on some comments here. Need a few good nursery slopes and gentle blues ideally..
latest report
Re-posted - I agree with balso, Corvara would suit you both with immediate access to a plateau of beautiful blue runs giving you access to both La Villa & San Cassiano

Crystal are showing options in Corvara (as are Inghams). However, it's really easy to fly to Innsbruck, get a transfer (1.5 hrs) and book an amazing hotel directly.

The Hotel Stores in San Cassiano is excellent
ski holidays
@SnowMonkey69, Nice find -- however, In my experience that area is a lot more expensive than the Val di Fassa...
latest report
Staying in Canazei at the moment. No contest..go for Selva. Normally would agree doing it independently is best but Covid made us pkwy safe and go with Chrystal. Access from Canazei requires buses and gondalas or cable cars. Queues horrendous this week at least (except for Alba).
snow conditions
suec wrote:
Staying in Canazei at the moment. No contest..

Totally agree. Selva ticks every box imv. Cool
ski holidays
SnowMonkey69 wrote:
Re-posted - I agree with balso, Corvara would suit you both with immediate access to a plateau of beautiful blue runs giving you access to both La Villa & San Cassiano

Crystal are showing options in Corvara (as are Inghams). However, it's really easy to fly to Innsbruck, get a transfer (1.5 hrs) and book an amazing hotel directly.

The Hotel Stores in San Cassiano is excellent

We are looking to possibly drive and book independently so this hotel looks very interesting. Any others you would recommend in corvara? Can’t walk far in boots so like to be ski in/out if possible
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dd4, if you are only interested in Corvara, then have a look at the Arkadia (https://www.hotelarkadia.it), the location is unbeatable. 2nd choice would be the Posta Zirm (https://www.postazirm.com/it/home). If you have lots of £ then the La Perla is amazing (https://www.laperlacorvara.it). All are ski in/out

San Cassiano (where the Stores is) is very quiet but gives brilliant access to the skiing. In booking with them, you automatically get a locker at the gondola to leave your kit. It's then a 100m walk to the gondola from the hotel.
snow conditions
SnowMonkey69 wrote:
Dd4, if you are only interested in Corvara, then have a look at the Arkadia (https://www.hotelarkadia.it), the location is unbeatable. 2nd choice would be the Posta Zirm (https://www.postazirm.com/it/home). If you have lots of £ then the La Perla is amazing (https://www.laperlacorvara.it). All are ski in/out

San Cassiano (where the Stores is) is very quiet but gives brilliant access to the skiing. In booking with them, you automatically get a locker at the gondola to leave your kit. It's then a 100m walk to the gondola from the hotel.

Thanks so much. Really useful.
latest report
[quote="Mollerski"]
nba2005uk wrote:

Madonna is great and so is the Val di fassa try the Hotel Alpina which is in Madonna was very reasonable a couple of years ago..I have skied back to the village in Canazei it is OK but only gets you to the edge of the village and its a bit of a treck from there I have my favourite Hotel in Campitello but you defintely cannoy ski back to there but the bus service is great and gives you lots of options up and down the vaLLEY
snow conditions
Mollerski wrote:

Madonna is famously expensive. It's where the well heeled Italians like to be seen. Cool

It’s a Myth re costs in Madonna ! Currently some good deals inc 4star hb with 5 stars on TA for ca £680 from Manchester on OPs dates. We find it cheaper than Corvara and Selva, but it is more more than val di Fassa.

Good luck OP
ski holidays
SnowMonkey69 wrote:

Took your recommendation and now half way through week at hotel Arkadia in Corvara. Fantastic location and really great hotel. Thank you
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy