Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Zillertal village?

Poster: A snowHead
Morning Snowheads. Please help me plan my next ski holiday. I've been eyeing up Zillertal for years, but have never got my head round which village to stay in to easily access the best skiing there. It looks like it isn't all connected but rather, there are several separate ski areas, and I don't fancy getting on a ski bus in the morning.

Mayrhofen is very low so I'd be worried about the quality and quantity of snow on the bottom slopes. I have considered Gerlos in the past as it looks pretty enough but how is the skiing? We tend to cover a lot of ground in one day as we're all good skiers and we like a bit of off piste, routes and moguls... would we find enough variety there? Our favourite resort is Lech/St Anton and nothing has ever come close.

Any advice will be most welcome! Thank you.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mayrhofen village is low , but there is a fast gondola to the ski area which is actually high ( only the Ahorn mountain ski's into the village ) I go most years ( covid aside and go mid march and have never had a lack of snow / poor quality
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quite a bit of the Zillertal is connected by train - free with the ski pass and easy to access/use. The ski bus is also really easy.

What time of year are you planning on? Mayrhofen’s main ski area is accessed via the telecabin - Penkenbahn. Snow cover isn’t usually a problem. You could aim to stay at Hintertux but i suspect it’s rather quiet. Mayrhofen would def be my choice and then possibly take the train to Zell am Ziller for a day out…worth it, in my opinion.

Certainly, there’s plenty to ski/do in Mayrhofen!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We'd go in February half term - next year. Thinking ahead! Has anyone got any comments on Gerlos and the ski area there?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From the Bergfex website it looks like all the resorts have around 100-140km of pistes... which isn't all that much...?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have been there twice, and both times stayed in Mayrhofen. Mayrhofen is the main village and has a ski town vibe. Tux is also cozy, but is small and quiet. I have also been to Lech/St Anton and the atmosphere is for sure different (I prefer Zillertal). The valley is more open then in the Arlberg area and the mountains are not as dramatic as in St Anton/ Lech, maybe apart from Hintertux. But the skiing is great and should suit you. The area is huge and it is a great off piste destination. It is also very varied. As long as you have a ski ticket, you can use the train for free. But you would need to take the bus to Hintertux and Zillertal arena.

Best areas for off - piste :
Penken area (tux 150 takes you to great terrain)
Hintertux
Hochfügen
The area between Gerlos and top of Zell am Ziller.

I would not be too worried about the altitude of Mayrhofen. The ski area is high above the city and you are guarenteed great conditions in the Hintertux area. Last time in 2019, I skied mid-April and the whole area was open.

The great advantage in area is how varied it is and the area is huge. That means that you can ski different areas each day.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone! So if we stayed in Mayrhofen or Tux (I like smaller villages) then how long would it take to get to Hintertux and to Zell on the train? And do you know how often they run?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We enjoyed zell am Ziller due to its location in the centre of the valley. Being close to the station made visiting all areas pretty easy. It is very quiet though.

Gerlos is in the middle of the zillertal arena which is a fairly linear ski area. It’s a good area but your access to the rest of the valley is more difficult. Home run can be tricky as south facing.

Skiing to the valley often isn’t great (where possible - do the descent to aschau - free train required to get back)and there aren’t many runs down. Vorderlanersbach probably best for skiing down but again quiet. Good access to mayrhofen, eggalm&hintertux areas but perhaps more difficult to travel elsewhere.

If you like travelling around you will really enjoy it. That said plenty of people seem to go mayrhofen and not leave the adjacent hills.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
From Mayrhofen to Hintertux with bus, I would guess 20 min. Zell is like 10 minutes away. The trains runs quite often, I would guess every half an hour.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is it actually possible to ski down into Mayrhofen or Finkenberg? Looks like you have to take the gondola down in the evening? Both Zell and Mayrhofen look more like towns than villages so may not be right for us... but I can only judge from what I see on Google. Wouldn't want anything bigger than Serfaus village really.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Tux should suit you well.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you! I will investigate.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Tiefschneetaucher, I'm guessing it's half term because of kids. If that is the case, I'd say Kaltenbach because the ski area is better suited to families and you can ski to the bottom at the end of the day. From there it is 10 mins by ski bus to the Zillertal Arena and you only need the hassle of Mayrhofen if you really want to ski it once.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting thought! They will be 15 and 13 though so have 'adult' skiing needs (apart from the Glühwein and Schnaps) Very Happy

So is Zillertal Arena in the middle between Mayrhofen and Kaltenbach?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tiefschneetaucher wrote:
From the Bergfex website it looks like all the resorts have around 100-140km of pistes... which isn't all that much...?

Not much? It would probably take you at least a couple of days to ski each resort if you skied all day without a break from lift opening to closure. Shocked

I'm wondering how much skiing you realistically need for a week? Puzzled

We love the Zillertal and I'm sure you won't be bored of it in a short trip. We would happily spend a season there! Very Happy
snow conditions
Obertauern has 100km and that got boring after a day and a half (it was our second time there)! Serfaus has 214 km and while we had fun, again got a bit samey after a few days. Lech is great because you can spend one day doing the Weisse Ring, one day going to St Anton, one day on the Warth side etc. I guess we were always lucky in that we didn't have to queue for lifts much, which can take up a lot of time. But we ski fast and we don't stop much apart from a quick lunchtime Schnitzel. Of course it's not just about the quantity but also the quality and the varied terrain... which I believe Zillertal has but perhaps not?
ski holidays
Mayrhofen is the central village and therefore the best to stay in for access elsewhere. It's the transport hub. It takes around 45-60 mins to get to Hintertux on the bus in the summer, presumably the same in winter if it stops at all the stops. Never skied there but done about 15-16 summers. It's a great place and never feels too big to me.
snow report
Don't plan to stay at Hintertux, if you plan to explore the valley. The end of the train line is at Mayrhofen, it is the best hub to explore the valley.
snow conditions
@Tiefschneetaucher, As a Bergfuhrer my geography is usually pretty good so I'm sure that Mayrhofen is not the best "Hub".. From N-S the ski areas on your Zillertal Pass are Fugen, Kaltenbach/Hochfugen, Zillertal Arena, Ramsau, Mayrhofen/Tux and Hintertux.

Based on what you said, Fugen is probably a half-day for you but the long red top to bottom is worth a few runs, especailly if the weather closes in. Kaltenbach/Hochfugen is a big crusing area with a great long black linking the two and some super side piste if you know the terrain, especially on the Hochfugen side. The Arena is a full-on day ski out and back from your side of the area to the Hochkrimml. Best done on a good weather day as the top links can be a bit grim in adverse weather. Ramsau I've not skied but not much there. Mayrhofen would keep you busy for a couple of days but the link to Tux can sometimes be a bit of a pain. The 150 Tux cable car can be a choke point. As for Hintertux, I wouldn't bother in February. Not worth the 30 min bus ride for the amount of skiing.

I think it will come down to how much faff you can tolerate with teenagers. If you stay within walking distance of any of the main gondola's, going to another part of the valley will be a Bus-Train-Bus affair, so stay in Mayrhofen if you can't face that.

Alternatively, come to the Ski Amade. We now have 210km of linked piste including 2 World Cup runs from Alpendorf to Zauchensee with perfect village bases at Wagrain and Flachau. Bus/Train to Schladming for another 110km and another 2 World Cup runs in the same time it takes you to go from Kaltenbach to Mayrhofen. Then if that's not enough take a day trip up to the Hochkonig, which you'd love, or Gastien for a total of 760km of pistes. Should be enough to keep you busy. Smile
snow conditions
Brilliant advice, thank you @RedandWhiteFlachau. So the Arena is a decent base too?

Yes, have been to Flachau & Ski Amade and always fancied going back, but can't convince the family. Apparently the piste map doesn't look exciting enough. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Been to Mayrhofen many times and skiied the whole valley. Mayrhofen town is best for non-skiing activity (eating, drinking, excellent pool etc.) but for accessibility I'd stay at Zell, which gives you access to the train station (the resorts down the valley have sone lovely stuff), to the lifts up to the Arena valley (the far end out to Krimml is epic skiing) and also bus to the Hippach lift up to Penken (avoiding the town centre).
ski holidays
@Tiefschneetaucher, Zillertal has a lot of skiing available on the ski pass but it's split into separate areas. Access is easy and free by bus or train (or car) but
Quote:

and I don't fancy getting on a ski bus in the morning.

then perhaps Zillertal is not the place for you.
Each area has it's own distinct characteristic and "feel". It's interesting to ski each area one after another. In the past, I worked for a company who offered a guided "Zillertal Challenge" which was to ski every piste available on the Zillertal Superski Pass in 6 days.

If you're set on coming to Zillertal I would suggest that you stay somewhere near a train station, maybe between Zell and Mayrhofen, and plan to ski a different area each day.
Gerlos is a good location to ski the Zillertal Arena, but if you want to ski anywhere else in Zillertal it's about an hour's drive to any of the other ski areas in Zillertal.

Hope that helps!
ski holidays
Tiefschneetaucher wrote:
Brilliant advice, thank you @RedandWhiteFlachau. So the Arena is a decent base too?

Yes, have been to Flachau & Ski Amade and always fancied going back, but can't convince the family. Apparently the piste map doesn't look exciting enough. rolling eyes

Zillertal yes, but not Gerlos if you want to ski the rest of the Ziller. I assume that's the teenager's view of Ski Amade. I suppose apart from the Black Pistes a few new Touren Routes, 4 World Cup Pistes the "Absolute" Snow Park (one of the longest in Europe), 2 Red Bull Extreme venues and around 3 dozen top to bottom big red thigh burners doesn't make it exciting enough for some. I won't be here in Feb (off to Canada) but I can recommend a great young Ski Guide who can really show them some excitement if needed. Mum might want to look away now!
snow conditions
@Tiefschneetaucher,

Appreciate the topic is about Zillertal area but from your fondness for Lech / St Anton maybe you should consider Fiss / Serfaus /Ladis area?
Not on many Brits radar - thankfully, it can be in the expensive side but that has its benefits.. Eh oh! .
Ladis is pretty but small and out on a limb, Serfaus has a few TO’s going there but Fiss, where we usually stay, is excellent with plenty of accommodation found on usual sites.
It’s an extensive area which gives a feeling of travelling some distance rather than just one hill and it’s on the back side of the mountain that Ischgl is located on so it’s generally very good snow conditions.
snow report
Thanks! Been to Serfaus and liked the skiing but again rest of family not keen! Yes, they are hard to please. They didn't like the village and the fact that everyone has to go up the same lift in the morning. You are right that staying in Fiss might be a good alternative. I've just reconsidered Sölden and Ischgl too, but then we'd have to fly into Innsbruck rather than Munich which makes logistics harder. With Covid, people haven't been able to cross over from the Austrian side of Ischgl to the Swiss side, correct? I wonder if that will change by next year... don't remember much about Sölden other than I never felt I absolutely had to go back. But I'd be happy to give it another try.
latest report
We're hopefully off to Saalbach in February - that's one I haven't been to before so will be interesting to see how we like it!
snow report
As others have said don't stay in Tux. It's convenient for the Hintertux glacier but nowhere else. I n Mayrhofen you have to take the gondola down if you are on Penken but you can ski down to the village from the Ahorn. However, the Ahorn is a small separate area on which you wouldn't want to spend more than half a day. You can ski down to Finkenberg.
ski holidays
Ski from the Penken down to Finkenberg? Not shown on the map but perhaps people do it anyway?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Tiefschneetaucher, It's Ski Route 11A, pretty much a ski down a track.
ski holidays
Fantastic, thank you!
snow report
I really like the Zillertal, I’ve had holidays there based in Mayrhofen, Zell, Stumm & Kaltenbach. If I was going back my first choice would be Kaltenbach for the skiing, it’s got a good variety of pistes and the link over to Hoch Fugen gives plenty variety. Downside is that Kaltenbach is a very small and very quiet village. There are a couple of apres bars at the gondola base and then just your hotel. Skiing at Zell is also good, long linear link to Gerlos is good fun once or twice but there’s only really one way there and back. Gerlos I’m not that keen on, there are a couple of lifts that can be real pinch points. Mayrhofen is a big town by ski resort standards so has lots of bars, restaurants and clubs. Some good skiing there but it tends to be busier on the pistes than the other stations.
snow report
I've stayed at Mayrhofen a couple of times but each time got out to other places 3 days of each week. Took the bus up to the Glacier, then got the train to Kaltenbach and Zell.
For me, the best part of a going to Mayrhofen has been the trips out to these other places.
snow report
@Corky,

I would say Tux is also fine for skiing the Mayrhofen/ Penken side. So it is also convenient for that area with a cable car from the village and also a slope down all the way to the village. It is a short bus ride down to Mayrhofen if you want to transfer to the other ski the other areas. Mayrhofen is better though as a base, but as I understood, @Tiefschneetaucher, did not want to stay in a large village.
snow conditions
Thanks all for your fantastic insights and advice. We'd have a hire car so wouldn't be dependent on being near a train station. AA route planner seems to think that it's only a 20 minute drive from Finkenberg to Kaltenbach, for example. Assuming that it's possible to park near any of the big gondolas going up into the various resorts?
ski holidays
@Tiefschneetaucher, The Ischgl area is fully open, no issue skiing between Austria & Switzerland though I believe the "Austrian rules" apply in the Swiss part of the skiing.

As has been mentioned Kaltenbach is good for skiing & ease of access though the village is quiet. The Zillertal Arena area is good too but Gerlos is a better location than Zell to make the best of it but then you are a bit cut off from the rest of the Zillertal.

I dislike Sölden as a place so avoided the skiing, it is also a fair drive to get to it.
ski holidays
I go to Mayrhofen most years with a big group. We do a 4-5 night trip and ski Mayrhofen, Kaltenback and Zell am Ziller over to Gerlos. We spend a day or two skiing Penken and the general Mayrhofen area. We have a group so we usually get the hotel to call a few taxis and we head off for the day to the other resorts. We usually do a day where we start in Zell am Ziller and ski over to Gerlos and do apres ski there.
The bus to the Huntertux can take 30-45 minutes so we ski from Penken over to Eggalm and down to Tux. Then the bus is only 10 minutes up to Hintertux.
We love the area and especially the ability to ski the other resorts nearby.
ski holidays
Lots of things to consider. It's difficult when you only have one skiing holiday a year and need to get it right Very Happy

When it comes to booking, flight prices and times will also determine whether we fly into Munich, Salzburg or Innsbruck so that will then have an impact on where we can realistically go from there... we like to be on the slopes for lunch on the arrival Saturday and then ski until 3pm on the departure Saturday to make the most of our week. So that usually means a late Friday evening flight out from LHR and a Sunday flight back.

Zillertal just looked convenient from Munich and an old family friend swears by it and goes every year, that's why I thought we'd explore that option.

Will be booking after our February trip so have a bit more time to think and research, but this has been super helpful. I never understood how the Zillertal works but starting to get an idea now!
snow report
+1 for Kaltenbach, only visited the area once and stopped in Mayrhofen in 2020. Easy train service to Kaltenbach and loved that ski area. Also had the best restaurant/bar up the mountains, Kristall Hutte.
snow conditions
@ribblevalleyblue, Kristall Hütte is magnificent Very Happy
ski holidays
Zell am Ziller, nicely placed for all three main areas, Zillertal arena on your doorstep and halfway between Mayrhofen and Hoch Zillertal
Nice location alongside the river with a good selection of hotels, shops, bars and apartments and enough going on in the bars etc without being too "wild". Mountain coaster at Zillertal arena along with a few bars near the lift station base
If you've got a car then pretty close to Hainzenburg to do a bit of rodelbahn tobogganing one day / evening as well, nip down to Worgl for the waterpark one day as well.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy