Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on summer holiday in the Alps near Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
We have booked flights to Geneva for a week in the Alps in July.Our priorities would be hiking, trail running, lakes for swimming, great views and good food Smile

Had originally thought of staying in Chamonix. Would it make sense to stay in Argentiere instead as it would be quieter, assuming the bus service is still good as in the summer?

Any advice on where else near Geneva might be worth considering? Car hire is very expensive from the airport so ideally somewhere you can get by bus or train.

TIA
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We've been to Les Gets and Morzine a few summers. Both good and bus between them as well. Loads to do inc. Lac Montriond, inflatables in the Les Gets lac, loads of good running (Salomon App for directions), long lunches etc.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brownie wrote:
We have booked flights to Geneva for a week in the Alps in July.Our priorities would be hiking, trail running, lakes for swimming, great views and good food Smile

Had originally thought of staying in Chamonix. Would it make sense to stay in Argentiere instead as it would be quieter, assuming the bus service is still good as in the summer?

Any advice on where else near Geneva might be worth considering? Car hire is very expensive from the airport so ideally somewhere you can get by bus or train.

TIA

Can’t beat Zermatt and the Matterhorn views as a backdrop for hiking and trail running. The food is great too - Chez Vrony Very Happy

Long time ago now but here’s a taste
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1600790
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We had several good summer holidays in the Giffre valley, usually based in Morillon. Great walking in all directions. Easy enough to get to Chamonix, Morzine, Aravis etc etc. That was always by car though.
I'm not up-to-date with car hire at GVA - it always used to be a bit cheaper hiring on the French side.
By train - I would second Zermatt as a destination, but the small amount you might save going by train, would soon disappear, especially eating at places like Chez Vrony!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

it always used to be a bit cheaper hiring on the French side.

and no downside to that, during the summer.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I went to Annecy (mainly cycling) a few years ago and loved it. Close to Geneva, amazing views, lake for swimming, there must be some good trails running and hiking.

I got the bus to Annecy, it was easy and quick.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Annecy has lots to commend it, but it is very crowded in summer.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A third suggestion: the Aravis region just east of Annecy. Le Grand-Bornand, La Clusaz or Manigod make for good summer bases. A car would be needed to make the most of it, though.
Alternatively, the shores of Lake Annecy are also very pleasant (great beaches) and a car is optional there, especially if you don't mind riding a bike (there are good paths ~80% of the way around the lake).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@brownie Verbier? Their VIP pass gives pedestrians free access to the lifts and 50% discount on mountain bike passes. You just need to be paying the local tourist tax (CHF 2.50/day) to get the pass. Not so much the lakes, but good MTB and eBike routes. And obviously, great walks:

Here's a view from the path up to Pierre Avoi above Verbier: to get there you walk up from from the gondola station at Savoleyres (in the left middle distance). Verbier itself is spread out in a arc below:

And this is in the opposite direction, from the summit of Pierre Avoi, looking towards the Rhone Valley and Martigny, with the Mt.Blanc Massif in the centre distance.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 11-01-22 16:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the suggestions! Off to do some research Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
longer transfer but Tignes is great in the summer, lakes, trails, via feretta, lift access for walks \ bikes, leisure centre, white water rafting, summer skiing etc etc
few days up there and a few days at Annecy en-route back towards Geneva would make a great trip.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@brownie,

Chamonix is great but very busy in summer. There is great hiking and trail running but the real USP is the climbing and mountaineering accessed by the lift system. It would be a good choice but you do have some quieter alternatives.

We bought a flat in Les Contamines de Montjoie (90 degrees anticlockwise around the Mont Blanc Massif from Chamonix, up the valley above Saint Gervais) because it was a cheaper and quieter way of getting access to the Mont Blanc Massif in summer and winter. The head of the Montjoie valley is a nature reserve with lovely hiking, scrambling and trail running. The Tour de Mont Blanc trail runs through the village. There are refuges up in the mountain to stay at or visit for lunch. There is a park just outside the village with a swimming lake, tennis, aerial ropeway, etc, etc. Airport shuttles run to St G and local buses go to Les C. There are less frequent buses direct from Les C to GVA. You don't need a car in Les C - I was there in October for hiking and climbing and although we did have a hire car, we just walked form our door every day. You'd miss on the hustle, bustle and buzz of Chamonix. There are good places to eat and good supermarkets but it a village not a major town.

just an alternative
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We had two weeks in Chamonix last summer, and planning the same again as it was super, but we will have two very little people aged 1 and less than 1 so priorities likely different...

July not as busy as August (as long as you're not at the same time as a major running/climbing event).

No swimming lakes unless you drive to them - the outdoor pool was also closed, so thankfully our accommodation had a pool. Hoping it will be open this year.

Train up and down the valley is free with the accommodation pass and provides a great service. Buses work perfectly.

Argentiere was very quiet on the couple of days we visited, but that was during the day and most people are out doing some sort of activity.

Morzine/PdS has the Tour de France this year in second wk of July - just something to bear in mind.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Out of interest, what’s the road cycling like if you’re staying in Chamonix?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another vote for Morzine.

You can hop on an AlpyBus mini bus transfer from Geneva.

Lots to do - walking, zip wiring, mountain biking, swimming in the outdoor pool, toboggin. Close by to many other stunning places.
ski holidays
Jonesj wrote:

It’s very good with lots of mountain passes and flattish valley options.
ski holidays
I think they are all great options but a couple of things to bear in mind. Switzerland is very expensive. Tignes is high and will be cold at night.
I really think you need a car to make the most of the Alpine summer.
latest report
Also if you are into road cycling best not to stay high purpose built reaort as it’s better to avoid a long climb home at the end of a long day. We are in Châtel and ticks all the boxes especially with kids as they set up loads our activities such as week-long sailing courses on the local lake while we WFH. We also take advantage of being able to dip into Switzerland as lots to do especially around lake GVA.
latest report
zzz wrote:
Switzerland is very expensive.

For example? What specifically costs more on a summer Alpine holiday in Verbier, compared to, say, Chamonix? I'd be interested in the specifics.
ski holidays
Jonesj wrote:

It's got the same problem as most other resorts - you'll end up riding the same bits of road repeatedly in order to get anywhere. e.g. to head "up" the valley there's one road all the way to Martigny (about 40km) with a side-road up to the Barrage d'Emossons (well worth a ride).

If you want to head "down" the valley to get to more roads, then you've got to go 20+km to Passy. Once down there, the options are great, but personally through choice I'd stay in St Gervais or even Sallanches for road biking. Great lake down there for the kids (big and small) - Lac de Passy.
snow report
balso wrote:
A third suggestion: the Aravis region just east of Annecy. Le Grand-Bornand, La Clusaz or Manigod make for good summer bases. A car would be needed to make the most of it, though.

Good call, I've stayed in La Clusaz in summer, lovely place with a weekly farmers' market too. Very Happy
snow report
For a different option (though it would need a car from Geneva) you could look at Beaufort. Road biking you have the Cormet de Roselend, the Col des Saisies, Cormet d'Areches, the picturesque village of Boudin. All very hilly, if that's what floats your boat. I'm not that sort of cyclist but have driven/walked that area a lot. Quieter than some of the other options. You'll hear little English spoken and, last but not least, there's a lot of splendid cheese!
latest report
Jonesj wrote:

I'd agree that somewhere lower might be a better bet for a road cyclist, like the Jura et Trois Lacs. Alpine foothills scenery, more hilly than mountainous and with more cycle routes.
snow conditions
@LaForet,
Unless it has changed in the last three years since I was there, eating out and the cost of lifts are two things that come to mind.
latest report
Splendid cheese...now you are talking my language Eh oh! Eh oh!
Quote:

For a different option (though it would need a car from Geneva) you could look at Beaufort. Road biking you have the Cormet de Roselend, the Col des Saisies, Cormet d'Areches, the picturesque village of Boudin. All very hilly, if that's what floats your boat. I'm not that sort of cyclist but have driven/walked that area a lot. Quieter than some of the other options. You'll hear little English spoken and, last but not least, there's a lot of splendid cheese!
snow report
I’ve ski toured from la contamines a few times, hadn’t thought about it for summer Eh oh!

Quote:

@brownie,

Chamonix is great but very busy in summer. There is great hiking and trail running but the real USP is the climbing and mountaineering accessed by the lift system. It would be a good choice but you do have some quieter alternatives.

We bought a flat in Les Contamines de Montjoie (90 degrees anticlockwise around the Mont Blanc Massif from Chamonix, up the valley above Saint Gervais) because it was a cheaper and quieter way of getting access to the Mont Blanc Massif in summer and winter. The head of the Montjoie valley is a nature reserve with lovely hiking, scrambling and trail running. The Tour de Mont Blanc trail runs through the village. There are refuges up in the mountain to stay at or visit for lunch. There is a park just outside the village with a swimming lake, tennis, aerial ropeway, etc, etc. Airport shuttles run to St G and local buses go to Les C. There are less frequent buses direct from Les C to GVA. You don't need a car in Les C - I was there in October for hiking and climbing and although we did have a hire car, we just walked form our door every day. You'd miss on the hustle, bustle and buzz of Chamonix. There are good places to eat and good supermarkets but it a village not a major town.

snow conditions
zzz wrote:
@LaForet,
Unless it has changed in the last three years since I was there, eating out and the cost of lifts are two things that come to mind.

As I said, in Verbier 4 Vallées the lifts are free to pedestrians and 50% discount to cyclists if they're staying locally and paying the CHF 2.50 tourist tax. As for eating out it depends on what you go for and where you go. I would concede that you may ave to be a bit careful to check prices before you sit down for a big meal out, but then, the most expensive cup of coffee I've ever had anywhere in the world was in Italy. And the most expensive ski holiday I've had in £/person was in the USA. AS a visitor anywhere, it's easy to get caught out when you're on holiday.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy