Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What stops aerial tramways (cable cars and 2s/3s lifts) from derailing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm quite fascinated by the new(ish) 2s and 3s lifts from Leitner and Dopplemayr. I've always admired the Olympic gondola at Val d'Isere, and recently got the chance to ride the massive 3K lift at Kaprun.

For those who don't know, they're like a traditional bi-directional aerial tramway (cable car) except that they're mono-directional and the cabins detach at both end stations. They have separate track cables (that they run on) and hauling cables (that pull them along). This allows them to be bigger, and I believe, more power efficient (as the hauling cable doesn't have to be kept at such high tension and so has less frictional loss.

I'm not keen on traditional cable cars, like the Klein Matterhorn, partially because of the way that they swing when they go over a pylon, or slow as they approach the top station, but I feel happier on the 3s lifts.

I was wondering what would stop them derailing though? Is it just the geometry of the carriages and cables, or is there something more that's holding them onto the track cables?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you’ve answered your own question - it’s geometry. And gravity of course.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They attach and detach from the hauling cable in the same way as detachable gondolas and chairlifts, using a spring loaded grip. The wheels on the support cables are concave, so wrap around the cables, with the weight of the cabin pulling them down, meaning they cant just slip one way or the other and fall off. It would take an enormous and very specific force to knock them off the cables, as it would have to push upwards, overcoming the weight of the cabin, to lift the cabin up, and then push it sideways. Even if that did happen, (it won't), the cabin is still attached to the hauling cable via the grip.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep. Even empty you've got a good weight pulling down on the track cables, and because they are cables rather than ridged rails even if things are swaying about the cables will flex a bit/the pulleys roll around the cable and the forces will still be pulling against the cable. The only time you might have a risk of derailing is if you started to swing past 45degrees each way - but a) that's going to be a hell of a breeze so the cable car unlikely to be running and b) I'd guess the pulling cable (that you're physically clamped to) is actually rated to take the full weight of the car as an emergency back-up.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks.

I was just wondering what would happen if ice formed on the track cables, which could potentially push the rollers off them?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 14-03-22 14:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
And I'd assume the wheels would also have brakes running either side of the cables? I'd have thought these would further discourage sideways movement.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer wrote:
Thanks.

I was just wondering what would happen if ice formed on the track cables, which could potentially push the rollers off them?

This is why all lifts/cable cars etc are run for a few minutes, or laps of the lift to ensure everything is in working order, and remove any overnight icing.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kerb wrote:
And I'd assume the wheels would also have brakes running either side of the cables? I'd have thought these would further discourage sideways movement.

Apparently not

http://youtube.com/v/AArM7-vAHuk
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can be windy
I remember this storm we were in the next valley and had been on the lift the week before I think there were some snowHead on the lift

http://youtube.com/v/bK6j2cAF-x8
Scroll to about 45 seconds in.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
T Bar wrote:
Can be windy
I remember this storm we were in the next valley and had been on the lift the week before I think there were some snowHead on the lift

http://youtube.com/v/bK6j2cAF-x8
Scroll to about 45 seconds in.

Crikey. Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
With cable cars and large gondolas where the support rope is essentially static I assume they have to operate within certain parameters and visual checks and as powderadict says by running the system round slowly to knock any ice off.

With mono cable systems Icing and wind are common issues that can derail ropes from sheeves, particularly on tbars and Pomas which use a lighter counterweight. With surface lifts that is not normally dangerous and is quickly fixed by lifting the rope back on.
Pylons in compression have catchers to prevent the rope hitting the ground.

In the past derailments of chairlifts, cable cars and gondolas have been caused by construction misalignment, subsidence causing pylons to Move, melting of permafrost under foundations, avalanche, falling trees, aircraft impacts, Piste basher collisions, Fires in base stations and structural failure from corrosion, Ice jacking or incorrect design. There are probably other causes too eg. Users Swinging the chair or Gondola ?

Modern rope position and tension detectors and automatic speed reduction in large wind gusts, tend to avoid catastrophic failure.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy