Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travelling with ski equipment on public transport

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I recently travelled from Austria to Toronto via trains, planes and automobiles (and buses!). I had bought a big Dakine ski bag which fit all of my ski equipment and more. The bag was on rollers which made it easier to transport in the airport and I was able to get extra clothes and footwear in for free on the plane which was a big plus. However it was really difficult to manage on the busses and trains because it didn't really fit anywhere! I'm hoping to do a few trips in Canada which will require taking trains and busses and I'm just wondering if anyone has found it easier just carrying the skis on a backpack? or if any seasoned skiers can relay some tips on getting about on public transport with all their kit. Thanks a million for any advice.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Distribute the load to make it more manageable. Use a big rucksack and keep the skis n poles in a light bag with wheels.

You could wear your helmet and boots, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

Enjoy your travels and don’t forget to post pics for the rest of us.

Welcome to snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gar, welcome Happy

I've done many trips across switzerland (which is all set up for it) - either single bags for skis, or post them. Swisspost/rail provide bags!

Maybe check out Canadian options?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Distribute the load to make it more manageable

This. As a not very strong, woman I have managed OK (if not enjoyably) with a well designed rucksack and a ski bag just containing one set of skis and poles. If I were stronger, I could no doubt have carried two sets of skis in a bag. Thus equipped, I have used underground trains in London and Paris, got on and off busses in Paris, travelled on a cramped sleeper train to the Alps and transited several airports. This combination, with the backpack leaving two hands free, is particularly well suited to use on escalators, unlike those gigantic coffin-like bags.

I would carry the two separately - carrying skis "on" a backpack would make it virtually impossible to lodge on any normal luggage rack.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gar, as well as splitting the load, I make sure I've got a bungee or short piece of rope result available. This means I can stand my skis up and tie them to the luggage rack, or other suitable handhold if there isn't anywhere better to put them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Skis easily go onto overhead baggage space on Swiss trains. Suitcases may be more difficult as we put them in other seating areas if available. Swiss rail staff have no problem with this if low occupancy. There is though very little large baggage space on their trains until you get to the cog up the mountain railways.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowboard with a backpack bag - only real way of doing it efficiently.

Folks in Zurich merrilly carry their skis onto the train unbagged. DaKine roller is most effective generally and you just need to get used to flipping it on end in lifts on buses etc and running over muppets toes in airports (we know you're eagerly awaiting the arrival of Great Aunt Edna but that doesn't mean you stand THERE in the only channel for exiting passengers).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
(we know you're eagerly awaiting the arrival of Great Aunt Edna but that doesn't mean you stand THERE in the only channel for exiting passengers).

I just end up shouting at people, in whatever language is available.

We didn't have the foresight to buy the Dakine bag with wheels, so I have to shoulder it. With 2-3 pairs of skis, it's bigger than me and half my weight. Anyone within a 1.5m radius *will* get taken out and there's next to nothing I can do about it Confused The only thought allowed in my head at this time is “two ends, two ends...” lest I inadvertently get distracted and do a 180 Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It’s a definite ‘no’ regarding skis on backpacks (eg Dakine Heli). Hopeless. You hit signs, doorways, people, passing aircraft…
Last time I travelled by train to the Alps I had 40 mins to get from Gare Du Nord to Gare Du Lyon. The metro journey takes 35 minutes. Gulp. Carrying all kit. I made it, since I had nicely balanced load: backpack, bag in right hand, skis in single bag in left hand. Although it WAS nerve-wracking - I jumped into the last carriage of the TGV to Landry and the doors closed immediately behind me…phew. Found I could run full tilt with that configuration and readily get things into different spaces in different trains and buses. That worked fine.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Big double dakine wheeled bag .. Threw mine out. Gone back to Good old trusty single ski bag and rucksack combo. Wheeled bag just allowed me to fall foul of packing too much rubbish that noone .. Literally noone , needs on a ski trip, was too heavy when empty let alone fully laden, too cumbersome , got on my tits, got in everyones way , was a pain and too heavy to carry when needed as a six foot tail on crowded platform or street was socially unacceptable. And when you could finally shoulder it you become a ten foot tall pita. Plus when you could drag it as the wheels don't work in snow, it just made a hole in it....They need banning Eh oh!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks a million for some great advice and tips here. I can definitely relate to @limegreen1 experience!! @mgrolf, that's a great shout about the bungee cords, I was having to hold mine upright or constantly looking back to check if the bag had fallen.

The single ski bag and rucksack combo sounds like the best approach. Just wondering how people carry their boots so, assuming the rucksack is full. Is it best to have them on the sides of the rucksack?

Thanks again for replies.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Our family's memorable trip on public transport was returing from skiing in Japan. The journey was: taxi to station, train to tokyo, leave main line and get on metro at station, get metro to Hamamatsucho, transfer to monorail to airport. Get plane home, transitting in Paris. Between the 3 of us we had 10 seperate bags. The technique was always count them all on and count them all off each mode of transport. Apart from the modest physical effort there was little problem.

I do recall using the snow train a fair bit in the past with a fairly large party and loading and unloading the train through the window. One person sorted the luggage on the platform, one tall person passed it through the window, another collected it at the other side and passed it to anothe who carried it to the packer. Once again it was important to count them on and count them off.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Just wondering how people carry their boots

For me, inside rucksack, stuffed with socks and knickers. It really is possible to travel light when you have to - I did the same with sailing gear, spending a week in Norway and on public transport to the Lofoten Islands. Boots in rucksack, along with oily trousers (wore the jacket most of the time as it rained a lot!). Very carefully chosen clothes. Layers. Quick drying technical fabrics.
The rucksack weighed only 15kg and was an excellent fit, so I could walk for a few miles with it. Ski stuff heavier, especially boots, but not much walking required. Most of us take far too much. I certainly do, when travelling by car. If in doubt, chuck it in.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy