Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GripWalk…experiences?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well…just struggling here with too many mismatches between GW boots and non-GW bindings, and the demands of deciding which new skis to mount with which binding…not all the new bindings I have in the workshop waiting are MNC or GW.

Skiing has really benefitted from common standards - unlike mountain-biking, which is MENTAL (how do you like your rear axles? 135, 142, 148 Boost, 150…) - but along comes GripWalk….

Interesting discussion here:

https://www.skitalk.com/threads/gripwalk-discussion.22827/page-7

It’s not doing my head in, but it does seem to be an answer to a problem which is minor/doesn’t exist (and yes….snowboard boots have their advantages…)

Genuine issues seem to be:

Binding compatibility and remembering to have matching skis and boots when you arrive at the bottom station
Balling up
Delta changes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mrs t_m bought some Salomons with GW. We don't have to do a lot of walking in our little village, but she definitely likes them. She has the same compatibility issue though - her teaching skis have Salomon AM12 bindings, so it’s back to the old boots if she wants to use those.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I went through and put GW on mine, primarily as I was using tech bindings with an ISO5355 sole and clicking in was virtually impossible as the boot sole wouldn't trigger the jaws to close. GW is a lot better.

As a consequence I have had to do some minor mucking around with my other skis to adjust delta. This wasn't a major problem as most of my skis have an adjustable AFD. With my griffon set up, it was just a case of dropping the AFD about 2mm, which did not require me to change the way I had shimmed the binding (I measured before and after with a spirit level in the boot - yes I am a massive nerd). Things were different with my Shifts but this was probably a consequence of not having shimmed them correctly in the first place. Different again with my Wardens, which have a fixed AFD and I still need to remove a 2mm shim under the toepiece to get them correct.

I can see delta being an issue for people in system bindings where there is an AFD that doesn't adjust. But adjusting delta is already a problem with system bindings and if you like to fiddle with delta then you are likely either buying flat skis and shimming them or buying something with a race plate and shimming that. I don't see GW as fundamentally changing that.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I enjoy walking around in my grip walk boots much more than my old ones, but an unforseen downside is that I can no longer casually ski in my boots with my skis slewn over my shoulder Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gripwalk IS the standard now, isn't it? Many piste and dem bindings are GripWalk compatible - I bought some Blizzard ex-rental piste skis last season with GW compatible bindings. It's great - can now use 1 pair of boots for literally all my skis, from touring with tech bindings to piste to powder skis.

I'd say the problem is your old bindings, not GripWalk wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The problem is an industry foisting a solution to a problem that didn't really exist on an unsuspecting public and particular in underskilled sales people and understocked stores in selling people boots without checking what bindings a customer uses or swapping out the sole for the most appropriate one at point of sale. Works great if you are investing in entire set ups from now. A ballache if you have an existing quiver of skis and bindings but need new boots etc.

At least the Betamax problem was solved quickly (reminds me I have a pair of bargain basement Look WTR compatible bindings still knocking around in search of a pair of skis)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why don't people just buy cat tracks?

https://www.seirus.com/cold-weather/essentials/cat-tracks
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dave of the Marmottes,
It is a pita regarding old skis/bindings, but I way prefer my gripwalk boots to old din soled ones, so actually a worthwhile step forward imho.

It was definitely a pita when there was gripwalk, Walk to ride, din, and touring incompatibility to worry about- at least that seems to be settling down!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

They're really good unless you put them on your boots and then walk somewhere.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999 wrote:
.....I'd say the problem is your old bindings, not GripWalk wink

This.

Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
.....reminds me I have a pair of bargain basement Look WTR compatible bindings still knocking around in search of a pair of skis

If it's the Look Dual WTR toes that you have then they are GW compatible when set to the alpine position. If it's the all metal P15/P18 toes then GW AFD are available from any good retailer wink

There's quite lots of older alpine 'only' bindings that are actually GW compatible - it all depends whether the rockered area of the GW sole below the AFD interface panel rubs on any part of the binding, which would adversely effect the release. This rubbing is most likely to happen on rail bindings where the base of the toe binding continues towards the heel. On flat mounted bindings there's usually a lot more clearance in that area so there's a greater chance of correct functionality. If I get a chance I'll try and get some pics of this to explain better but I'm choka at this time of the year.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gorilla wrote:
Quote:

They're really good unless you put them on your boots and then walk somewhere.

I’ve never had a problem with them, love them to bits. These grip walk things sound like a proper punter solution snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@spyderjon, interesting....I have in front of me some MNC Wardens 11s and some Non MNC Wardens. The upper parts of the toe binding look identical - and are interchangeable? The AFD and AFD mounting obviously is different due to the moving plate. And the heel pieces look identical - and are interchangeable? Interested in your take...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
valais2 wrote:
@spyderjon, interesting....I have in front of me some MNC Wardens 11s and some Non MNC Wardens. The upper parts of the toe binding look identical - and are interchangeable? The AFD and AFD mounting obviously is different due to the moving plate. And the heel pieces look identical - and are interchangeable? Interested in your take...

I've never stocked the non MNC Warden 11 (as they're the same price but with obvious limitations) so I've never compared the two directly but yes, the actual upper housing/mechanism is the same on both although it wouldn't surprise me if there's more height adjustment range on the MNC version.

The non MNC Warden 11 is now discontinued but online buyers should be careful as retailers that are holding stock are now heavily discounting them to clear and I've had calls from a number of buyers asking me to mount them for their GW boots only discover than they're not compatible.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 25-01-22 20:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
many thanks Jon
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy