Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best place to test skis in Courchevel/3V?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Couldn't find this question on the forum so hopefully I'm not duplicating .........

I head out to Courchevel on 18th Dec for our first extended trip (whoop whoop!) so intend to invest in some new skis.

Can anyone recommend a place to test skis prior to buying? I've had some advice that the 'standard' ski shop/rental place might be too limited and I really want to be able to test out a number of different skis before committing to the (clearly unreachable but nonetheless economically sensible) nirvana of the 'one ski quiver.'

My youngest (who spent a season in Les Menuires pre-covid) recommended www.thebootlab.co.uk where he tested and bought skis - they have sites in Meribel & Courchevel by all accounts.

Anyone know of anywhere else?

(If it makes any difference, I'm looking for an All Mountain/Freeride ski for 50:50 on and off piste skiing)

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sport 2000 in Meribel. I did a test day with them a few years ago and ended up loving Head Magnums after wanting to love K2 Recons and not. Been on Magnums ever since, updating every other year.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm totally out of date but I had good service from Jean Blanc Sports in 1850. It is still going
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks @Mollerski,

Looks like there’s a couple of Sport 2000 in both Meribel-Mottaret and Meribel-Centre ….. any idea which one?! Puzzled

https://ski-hire-sport2000.co.uk/ski-resort/france/savoie/alpes/meribel-mottaret-439.html
https://ski-hire-sport2000.co.uk/ski-resort/france/savoie/alpes/meribel-centre-272.html
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks @jedster,

From your comment and @Mollerski, looks like the fear of the ‘standard’ shop may be misplaced …….
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JB25 wrote:
Thanks @Mollerski,

Looks like there’s a couple of Sport 2000 in both Meribel-Mottaret and Meribel-Centre ….. any idea which one?! Puzzled

https://ski-hire-sport2000.co.uk/ski-resort/france/savoie/alpes/meribel-mottaret-439.html
https://ski-hire-sport2000.co.uk/ski-resort/france/savoie/alpes/meribel-centre-272.html

Meribel centre. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for The Bootlab.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
https://lecampdebase.com/en/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just to finish off this thread (in case anyone is still watching! Or comes back to it in the future …….) we have used The Boot Lab in Meribel for both boots & skis. Their ski testing service is the best we found - none of the other shops had anywhere near the range of skis to try and TBH none of the French-owned shops seems even remotely interested in helping us spend our money there, so we were happy to oblige and go elsewhere.

The Boot Lab have (so far) supplied my new Armada Declivity 102 skis (how awesome are they??!) and Tecnica Cochise hybrid Alpine/Touring boots, plus one son’s new boots and soon-to-buy Nordica Navigator skis. The wife is also eyeing up the Nordica Santa Ana 93 skis. All the skis choices were made after multiple test days on numerous skis, and Gavin & the team at The Boot Lab have been awesome in their knowledge and support. We would definitely recommend using them!

https://thebootlab.co.uk/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@JB25, Bootlab must love you. You've spent about £3k in there. Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mollerski, single handedly doing our best to keep the business in beer tokens it seems! Given the ban on UK residents entering France at the moment, we’re one of the few Brits around.

Being here for 7 weeks, it’s just as cheap (kind of) to buy as it is to rent (and yes, I am trying to justify it to myself)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JB25 wrote:
@Mollerski, single handedly doing our best to keep the business in beer tokens it seems! Given the ban on UK residents entering France at the moment, we’re one of the few Brits around.

Being here for 7 weeks, it’s just as cheap (kind of) to buy as it is to rent (and yes, I am trying to justify it to myself)

I do it piecemeal. That way I didn't spend the money. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy