Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pre departure testing farce.

Poster: A snowHead
So for the third day in a row France has recorded in excess of 200k covid cases, outstripping the UK case numbers. YET all UK travellers are still obliged to present a negative PCR test to be allowed into Austria but the French don't have to......surely either France needs to be added to the virus variant list or the UK needs to be removed ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
EU politics.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Uk politics. Uk left the EU,It was called Brexit. EU have free movement of people, just like people from Wales have free movement to Scotland.
Brexit means that the EU treat the UK as a Forgein country as opposed to pre Brexit when the Uk was part of the EU
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ireland has one of highest rates in Europe now but we get special treatment entering France / Austria that UK don't get because we're part of EU. UK up till now probably have been getting favourable treatment for EU entry, over likes of Russia, Turkey, USA, but now are being treated more like a third country than one EU has special relationship with. UK certainly have not been engaging on cultivating special relationship going forward. In particular for France BJ spat with Macron didn't help, open letter on Social Media insinuating French were responsible for lives of drowned migrants seriously hit a nerve, why would UK get special favourable treatment after that? Blame Brexit, blame Covid, but if you want to blame Macron/politics remember it takes 2 to tango and your teflon PM carries much of that blame
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another consideration that struck me was if you are trying to balance economics with health, and you decide the best compromise lies in 25% reduction in footfall at your ski resorts, then perhaps one very convenient way to achieve this is exclude Brits. That might be a bit conspiracy theorist though
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PCcorner wrote:
So for the third day in a row France has recorded in excess of 200k covid cases, outstripping the UK case numbers. YET all UK travellers are still obliged to present a negative PCR test to be allowed into Austria but the French don't have to......surely either France needs to be added to the virus variant list or the UK needs to be removed ?

Denmark & Ireland both have a higher incidence rate at 2.6% the last 7 days than France & the UK who are 1.6%

Oh & ireland are stopping PCR tests for anyone under 40 who does not have a positive LFT result.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
peanuthead wrote:
Ireland has one of highest rates in Europe now but we get special treatment entering France / Austria that UK don't get because we're part of EU. UK up till now probably have been getting favourable treatment for EU entry, over likes of Russia, Turkey, USA, but now are being treated more like a third country than one EU has special relationship with. UK certainly have not been engaging on cultivating special relationship going forward. In particular for France BJ spat with Macron didn't help, open letter on Social Media insinuating French were responsible for lives of drowned migrants seriously hit a nerve, why would UK get special favourable treatment after that? Blame Brexit, blame Covid, but if you want to blame Macron/politics remember it takes 2 to tango and your teflon PM carries much of that blame

actually Macron is to blame.
he is in charge of France. We have to play by his rules. A few brits are losing out on holidays, but ultimately he is doing massive damage to his tourism industry.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mr.Egg wrote:
PCcorner wrote:

Denmark & Ireland both have a higher incidence rate at 2.6% the last 7 days than France & the UK who are 1.6%

Oh & ireland are stopping PCR tests for anyone under
40 who does not have a positive LFT result.

People seem not to understand that the French have to accept people from Denmark and Ireland. The relative incidence rates are a red herring.

On the other hand, they are under no such obligation to the UK. It’s low hanging fruit as far as reducing the load on hospitals in alpine regions.

Actually, maybe British skiers are simply more likely to fall and injure themselves than their continental equivalents? It is not like we are a shining example of skiing competence (on average) Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JamesHJ wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
PCcorner wrote:

Oh & ireland are stopping PCR tests for anyone under
40 who does not have a positive LFT result.

People seem not to understand that the French have to accept people from Denmark and Ireland. The relative incidence rates are a red herring.

On the other hand, they are under no such obligation to the UK. It’s low hanging fruit as far as reducing the load on hospitals in alpine regions.

Actually, maybe British skiers are simply more likely to fall and injure themselves than their continental equivalents? It is not like we are a shining example of skiing competence (on average) Toofy Grin

Denmark are part of the Schengen, while Ireland is not - so they could pull up the drawbridge for ireland much easier than they could for Denmark.
Brits are by far France biggest customer for tourism in the winter. It is an easy way to reduce temporary population density by stopping your biggest tourist market from visiting.
Brits will get to try elsewhere. France, Italy, Andorra, Switzerland, Bulgaria, etc. The only people really missing out are those with a holiday home. I would personally pick Austria every time over France.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mr.Egg,

Schengen has nothing to do with it.

uk is 10% of the French ski economy.

rolling eyes
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Almost as farcical as having to a predeparture antigen and a post arrival PCR when coming from Austria (incidence ~ 225) to the UK (incidence 1335)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@Mr.Egg,

Schengen has nothing to do with it.

uk is 10% of the French ski economy.

rolling eyes

Obviously shengen has nothing to do with it, as Macrpoleon has not banned Ireland rolling eyes
but still the largest group outside of French own domestic market. That is the same for anywhere!!!
We also spend more per capita. How many French drink & eat out most nights? compared to shopping out of the resort & staying self catering.
You see very few French people out in the evenings. It is mostly brits. French tend to stay self catering.
Obviously some resorts will be affected more than others due to how the bigger resorts are marketed to the UK compared to smaller ones.
What is the makeup of ski schools, hire shops, etc. - brits still only account for 10% of their trade? I would not be surprised if Brits outspend the French by at least 5:1

rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I suppose that if testing ANYBODY makes sense in terms of reducing infection, controlled borders are one obvious place - and makes sense regardless of the level of infection. We are testing secondary school kids and teachers, for example, regardless of infection levels in surrounding communities. So yes, we are testing French arrivals, and they are testing British arrivals - because it's possible.

The overall efficacy of testing and isolation is a more interesting question......
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59848160 demonstrates that the only certain way to prevent introduction of the virus is to quarantine when arriving at a new location, so to that extent, the quarantine rules make sense. However it only really makes sense when the location doesn't already have the virus and imv its purpose can be reasonably questioned when in excess of 10% of the population has it. Having said that, I still intend to isolate if day 2 is positive following recent recovery.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I for one regard the current travel measures as 100% politically driven without a shred of medical rationale, it just undermines all people’s hard work over the last 2yrs and makes you put 2 fingers up to any further rules and regulations.
snow report
Do you think there is any "medical rationale" for testing within countries, @PCcorner?
latest report
Just to point that Austria imposed restrictions on Holland, Denmark & Norway as well as the UK (two EU members, one EEA). I agree little logic apparent but no particular discrimination against brits. Germany imposed the ban on the UK after the media here was full of the Mayor of London declaring a "disaster" due to covid. As far as I could see this got little coverage in the UK but clearly influenced decisions in Germany. The ban ends on Tuesday, no restrictions on entry for anyone with two jabs - no tests or booster required though it does apply to everyone over 5 years old (issue for German family's holiday plans to Spain etc which are in the same high risk category as UK). I agree there is an element of politics with the current French restrictions on entry from the UK but perhaps that has something to do with the stupid behaviour of the British Prime Minister by publishing supposedly confidential letters on twitter? Actions have consequences.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Do you think there is any "medical rationale" for testing within countries, @PCcorner?

To my knowledge no country in the world has ever “tested” for the common cold or flu, so in answer to your question.......no
ski holidays
@Mr.Egg, well all the bars and restos in Cham are pretty packed ...
latest report
munich_irish wrote:
Just to point that Austria imposed restrictions on Holland, Denmark & Norway as well as the UK (two EU members, one EEA). I agree little logic apparent but no particular discrimination against brits. Germany imposed the ban on the UK after the media here was full of the Mayor of London declaring a "disaster" due to covid. As far as I could see this got little coverage in the UK but clearly influenced decisions in Germany. The ban ends on Tuesday, no restrictions on entry for anyone with two jabs - no tests or booster required though it does apply to everyone over 5 years old (issue for German family's holiday plans to Spain etc which are in the same high risk category as UK). I agree there is an element of politics with the current French restrictions on entry from the UK but perhaps that has something to do with the stupid behaviour of the British Prime Minister by publishing supposedly confidential letters on twitter? Actions have consequences.

Good post, except there actually was plenty of coverage here of London Mayors speech.

Perhaps it is telling that our PM and the foreign secy have kept their gobs shut about the travel bans - maybe it has clicked in their silly heads that for diplomacy to work, one has to be...........erm, diplomatic?
latest report
Brexit -- the gift that just keeps on giving (or taking away !)
ski holidays
Quote:

Brexit -- the gift that just keeps on giving (or taking away !)

Didn't the UK prime minister say that the biggest benefit of Brexit was that there are now crowns on pint glasses. I never noticed.
ski holidays
What would the impact of Austria adding France to the list of countries that need pre-testing? Probably very little. There wouldn’t be a large influx visitors from France into Austria over this popular holiday period. I can’t remember meeting many, if any French people when I’ve been in Austria. I’ve met plenty of Brits, Dutch, Danes and a few Norwegians.

More hassle than it’s worth (politically) for Austria to add France with very little benefit.
ski holidays
GreenDay wrote:
munich_irish wrote:

Good post, except there actually was plenty of coverage here of London Mayors speech.

Perhaps it is telling that our PM and the foreign secy have kept their gobs shut about the travel bans - maybe it has clicked in their silly heads that for diplomacy to work, one has to be...........erm, diplomatic?

Would that be the same diplomacy that the french president used when saying he was going to cut off electric supplies via the undersea connection?
latest report
GreenDay wrote:

Maybe but I was very surprised by how much coverage the speech got, main headline type and I assume it made the TV news (I hardly watch any TV whether German or British). It was picked up by politicians here who were repeating the line "if the Mayor of London says its a disaster, then we should put in restrictions". The British PM is viewed rather sadly, he could be seen as a bizarre comedy act if it wasn't so serious. Certainly his views seemed to be given less credence than the Mayor, not something that would happen in the UK.
ski holidays
Quote:
The British PM is viewed rather sadly, he could be seen as a bizarre comedy act if it wasn't so serious
Wow! That's absolutely shocking. What on earth has the poor man done to warrant such an outrageous state of affairs? Shocked
snow conditions
Mr.Egg wrote:
PCcorner wrote:

Oh & ireland are stopping PCR tests for anyone under 40 who does not have a positive LFT result.

We flew to Geneva this afternoon from Manchester, to ski Zermatt.

In the row behind us on the plane were 3 Irish lads who were going to France to ski.

If that isn't a wee wee extracting farce, please tell me what is! rolling eyes
snow conditions
The political posturing continues unabated I see, last three days stats:

France - c.900k covid cases

UK - c.600K covid cases

Movement between France & Austria - no testing needed

Movement between UK & Austria - testing needed

Don't forget to follow the science..............
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, a large number of us voted to increase the amount of political posturing in our lives. I suppose we should suck it up snowHead
latest report
Laughing
snow report
Pccorner, which bit of Brexit are you falling to understand?
latest report
Austria has no reason to impose testing requirements on French visitors as there are too few of them.
ski holidays
peanuthead wrote:
Another consideration that struck me was if you are trying to balance economics with health, and you decide the best compromise lies in 25% reduction in footfall at your ski resorts, then perhaps one very convenient way to achieve this is exclude Brits. That might be a bit conspiracy theorist though

I would think it's sensible. As a theory as well as a measure.
latest report
TheGeneralist wrote:

What makes you think I don't understand Brexit ? And even if I didn't, your point is what exactly ?
snow report
TheGeneralist wrote:

Nothing to do with Brexit. We are not in Schengen, so have borders with France, Austria, etc. if we are in the EU or not.
Andorra & Montenegro are not in the EU - both have a higher infection rate per 100,000 than the UK. Are they currently banned from France?
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
TheGeneralist wrote:

Nothing to do with Brexit. We are not in Schengen, so have borders with France, Austria, etc. if we are in the EU or not.
Andorra & Montenegro are not in the EU - both have a higher infection rate per 100,000 than the UK. Are they currently banned from France?

You silly sausage Mr. Egg (i've just always wanted to write that, sorry!).
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:
TheGeneralist wrote:

Andorra is pretty much irrelevant though. The population is only 80,000. The statistics are skewed so much with such a small population. If Andorran residents were banned from France it would make so little impact that it’s not actually worth it.

The president of France is actually the co-head of state for Andorra too! (It’s pretty much just a ceremonial title though.)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy