Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a high quality shell jacket

Poster: A snowHead
My trusty Arcteryx Stingray jacket is now starting to show its age (15 years), hence considering a replacement in the sales.

Anything I should add to the shortlist? The Arcteryx Sabre looks an obvious replacement.

Requirements:

Goretex or equivalent 20k/20k waterproofness/breathability (yes I have skied in the rain many times)
pit zips
arm lift pass pocket
hard wearing - needs to last 10 years
no insulation - likely to be used in -20 to +20 conditions
chest pocket for easy access to phone (Sabre doesn't have this)
no garish colours so can use it day to day in the UK winter
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stellar Shell (or perhaps Guide Shell)? Fits your requirements as long as you're ok with it not being goretex. Definitely handles rain ok. Not sure about the 10 year longevity (I don't think they've been around that long yet) but so far durability seems pretty good. I think @underanewname can probably comment based on more use.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a Mammut Goretex shell that feels really nicely made, but only got it this season so too soon to tell on the durability front.

I also really like the look and feel of the State of Elevenate Bec des Rosses shell. Really solid feeling quality construction which I would have bought if they had my size at the time.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ive been using one of these this season.

https://rab.equipment/uk/khroma-latok-gtx-jacket

Best jacket I've had by a fair way (every previous one had at least one feature missing). I did get it with a hefty discount though as RRP is pretty eye-watering.

Pit-zips, snow-skirt, wrist gaiters, arm pass pocket, internal and external chest pockets, 2 waist pockets and 2 internal cargo/skin pockets.
Only slight niggles are the storm flap is pretty stiff it makes zipping right up a 2 hand job and maybe the hood could be a touch bigger.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@adithorp, thanks, thats now on the list, do you recall where you got it from with the hefty discount??
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Did RAB get bought by Lowe?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@phil_w, other way around afaik
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
https://www.klattermusen.com/en/men/waterproof-jackets/10655m12-brage-2.0-jacket-ms-raven/

I've has this shell for 2 years, got heavily reduced on sportspursuit.com. Slightly longer length, not the lightest and not goretex but v waterproof .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mgrolf wrote:
Stellar Shell (or perhaps Guide Shell)? Fits your requirements as long as you're ok with it not being goretex. Definitely handles rain ok. Not sure about the 10 year longevity (I don't think they've been around that long yet) but so far durability seems pretty good. I think @underanewname can probably comment based on more use.

I have a Steller shell that's a couple of years old and looks and performs as good as new, so far so good.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
@adithorp, thanks, thats now on the list, do you recall where you got it from with the hefty discount??

Nearly 50% under full rrp from SportPursuit last summer which won't help you unless they come up again.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@adithorp, thanks!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I went with the Elevenate Bec de Rosses. Which is probably as close as I will get to actually skiing the Bec but that's another matter.

Fully featured pro shell jacket. Runs large. Bought for a fraction of retail on sports pursuit. They used to get a lot of arcteryx samples as well (where my regular ski pants came from). May be worth waiting and watching.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This:

https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/products/lofoten/lofoten-gore-tex-pro-jacket-men/?color=3301

Ticks all the boxes including 3 (2 outside and a small phone one inside) chest pockets

Downsides are the price and it is a fairly long trim fit which suits some but not others...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@risb98, I have various Klattermusen things and they have all been pretty bombproof. They do outlet sales from time to time. In fact one just finished which sucks for @kitenski
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Arno, @risb98, thats a new make on me, looks good but can't see the outlet though???
latest report
I bought a stella guide shell and really wanted to like it but it simply didn't fit me - too short in body and arms. Shame as the material felt very durable and it was well built. Good price too. Like @DrNo, I'm tall and skinny so Norrona fits me bang on: I've had 3 Lofoten jackets now. I would say that the material they use is on the lighter side IMO and after a few years of hard use, the shoulders and waist start to leak where a (heavy) backpack sits. Current iteration is 3 years in and fine for now. The most well-built jacket I've ever owned was an arc stingray funnily enough...
latest report
@kitenski, the outlet comes and goes. Check back every now and then (or sign up for their emails)
snow conditions
@Sharkymark, the arc stingray still seems to be waterproof after 15 years! Just bits are falling off due to failing glue, powder skirt (no loss), and then the hanging loop went this year - so the actual jacket is prob still ok, just fancy a change!
ski holidays
I've just invested in Decathlon's FR900 https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-ski-jacket-fr900/_/R-p-308740 which ticks all of your boxes (which are pretty much the same criteria I was using). At £180 it's pricey for Decathlon but cheap compared to bigger brands (JFC, very cheap now I've just clicked on some of the links in the thread).

I haven't worn it skiing yet, but I've worn it in some awful weather here at home and it's been great - including horrendous cold, wet and windy conditions watching my son play rugby last Sunday. I was fine, everyone else looked totally miserable (to say nothing of the kids in tears...).

The only downside is it doesn't have a hanging loop (thanks to @kitenski for the terminology!)
ski holidays
@parttimer, interesting one cheers, sadly out of stock in my size.
snow report
Some great bargains on Helly Hansen shells on Sportpursuit at the minute. The Ridge Infinity shell seems to tick all your boxes. Not Goretex, but Helly Tech Professional has served me well in all weathers. I love my Helly bib trousers.
ski holidays
In Arc’teryx, the Alpha SV might be an option. I have one and love it - tough, fits well, and pockets in the right places. I don’t know about Norrøna Lofoten jackets, but if they are anywhere near as good as their pants, then they too are a serious contender.
ski holidays
I like my Marmot but I've been buying a lot of Stio stuff lately. US brand but I bet it could be sorted if you liked one. (reminder of size differences; for me US L = EU XL).

The Stio guy used to be the Cloudveil guy, I liked their stuff too.

I'm stuck on double zippers, that tends to shrink the market rather dramatically.
snow report
@mgrolf, my Stellar shell is doing fine. Can't really recall when I got it - start of the 1st Covid season probably? So it hasn't had nearly as much use as you'd expect. It's functionality is good, like the pockets, like the collar, keeps me dry. They have become more expensive though.
ski holidays
Norrøna and Arc’teryx have online outlet stores. The Norrøna one currently has a good range of jackets in stock at 30-50% off. If you’re not in a rush to buy now, you can pickup a very bargain if you keep looking.

I’ve skied in my Arc’teryx Zeta hiking jacket which I think is a very good all rounder even for Norwegian winters. I picked up an Arc’teryx Rush jacket this winter at 50% off which I’m preferring over my Norrøna Lofoten jacket at the moment.
ski holidays
I have a North Face goretex shell that is still waterproof after more than 20 years. I don’t ski in it anymore as I ripped the bottom climbing over a gate & catching it on the gatepost as I jumped down so just dog walks now. My current Odlo shell has a zip out liner & seems very good.
snow conditions
I've a couple of shells I like : black diamond recon stretch.
Their own waterproof material, meets the criteria for me at least, feels burly material.

Arc'teryx Cassiar : goretex, typical Arc quality , slim fitting ,so i cant layer so much under it , lacks a sleeve pocket , (surprisingly) but has a pass holder in one of the pockets. I do like the fact it has a proper stand up collar and removable hood- I dislike some hoods which gape open when the zip isn't fully up.
snow conditions
@kitenski, I have a mountain equipment Lhotse which I use to ski and also hiking, about 10ths old heavily used for both and looks like it will be still going strong in another 20years. It has everything on your tick list and is also gortex Pro. There is te same jacket available which comes with an extra chest pocket and also a snow skirt called chagabang (think that’s the correct spelling.
Everyone will have their own preference but I can’t fault the Lhotse I have.
The 2 links below may be useful reading.
https://www.succinctgearreviews.com/p/mountain-equipment-goretex-comparison.html?m=1
https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/clothing/waterproofs/mountain_equipments_new_tupilak_jacket_and_pants-13308
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sharkymark wrote:
I bought a stella guide shell and really wanted to like it but it simply didn't fit me - too short in body and arms. Shame as the material felt very durable and it was well built. Good price too. Like @DrNo, I'm tall and skinny so Norrona fits me bang on: I've had 3 Lofoten jackets now. I would say that the material they use is on the lighter side IMO and after a few years of hard use, the shoulders and waist start to leak where a (heavy) backpack sits. Current iteration is 3 years in and fine for now. The most well-built jacket I've ever owned was an arc stingray funnily enough...

That fit comment sounds right. I'm 5'9 and average build and my stellar shell 2.0 (medium) is a very good fit for me. It's actually a slightly longer style (rather than fit) than a lot of ski shells. It replaced an Arcteryx Sidewinder that had been great for many years and so far I'm equally happy with it.
snow conditions
I got around to checking, and Rab Carrington retired in 2007, selling his company. RAB and Lowe Alpine were later both purchased by "Equip Outdoor Technologies" (companies house). It's not my expertise but interesting to see how much those types of companies turnover. For what it's worth it does seem to be still directed from Derbyshire (Lowe was Californian I think). I think they've done well with the RAB brand.

--
UK climbing reviews seem more real than most to me.
snow conditions
I've found this on sportspursuit so taken a punt.....as perhaps a bit different to the norm

& also a Changabang jacket Smile

https://www.sweetprotection.com/en-gb/crusader-x-gore-tex-jacket-mens/828206.html
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy