Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier Christmas 2021 to NY Eve - trip report

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I wondered whether to post this. Too many people who would like to go and can't go, and I didn't want to gloat. On the other hand the snow was tricky and there was hardly any offpiste, which is my usual main course, so less of a chance to shoot some cool pics.

But then again, it's a ski website, so here I go.

My last trip had been to La Grave in March 2020, which ended gloriously with a ski down the Glacier de la Meije, after a night spent in a refuge. Then I hurried home to avoid border closings.

21 months later, this trip was a friends + family affair and turned out to be much milder. Unfortunately, out of four families who were supposed to come over, only two made it (the others are based in the UK).

So, the bad:
- we missed the friends who weren't there. They missed us too, but they definitely missed the mountains even more
- the snow cover was thin. Then it snowed, and then one day later it rained hard until high altitude, destroying the snowpack and making pistes icy
- we were all out of shape
- early starts with a toddler in tow are difficult, even if grandparents are also there to help out
- the week between Christmas and New Year was busy

The good and the interesting:
- we skied!!! we had really missed it

- there were some beautiful views:

- there was some ok snow even in the early days - here's kolkie trying it out:

-the one day when it snowed we tried the trees. I did an unintended somersault, nearly broke my ankle when landing, and nearly broke my ski:

- however I skied the rest of the day and I could still turn, at least on the good leg:

- kolkie made the best of the one day of (boot-top) powder:

- firefly had his first ever luge run at the Col du Lautaret, which hopefully will earn him a beer or two in 15 years or so

- ...though he didn't quite grasp the concept of a snowball fight:

- we slotted in a cool city trip to Turin on the rainy day (it wasn't raining there!):

-...and there was even some spring snow after the rain!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like you had a great time = Thanks for posting snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@horizon, yes, I am longing to be back there, but looks like you had a fantastic time. It would be just so good to feel that snow under my skis.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for posting. Even if I can't get out there myself at the moment, I absolutely want to read about others managing it! Very Happy

Lovely pics - I'm very envious despite the rain.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I must also arrange a trip to Turin on a rainy day.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@albob, thanks, it was indeed a great time. Perhaps not having great snow was in a way a good thing - I'd have been chasing powder and maybe going too far too fast. The hunger was there!

@denfinella, thank you!

@Hells Bells, Turin is definitely worth a visit or more, and as you probably know quite easily accessible. Of course we wouldn't have gone this time if the weather was any better, but I have hopes for more skiing this winter.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@horizon, we only ever seem to get as far as Ikea. Sad. Winter we're too busy skiing, and it's too hot to wander around too much with the dogs in summer. Have had to postpone Autumn visits for the time being, which is when we would usually do stuff like that.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy