Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on early season skiing- long trip!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello!
I think I will have the wonderful opportunity to go skiing for 3-4 weeks next season (22/23). I'll be free 10th Dec-7th Jan and we've saved up a bit for a nice chalet. The tricky bit is choosing somewhere that will be okay early in the season, and that has nice chalets. Can't break the bank too much but as we'll be there for a long time we need somewhere that's nice and spacious, (so not an apartment in VT like I would have done in the past)! Other personal preferences.. I really want something either ski in/out or less than 5 mins walk from a lift, not a resort with lots of buses! Not too worried about nightlife as we will have a small child but don't want to be totally isolated without a shop nearby either..
Anyway, I've been looking for a while as I want to book well in advance but I thought it would be silly not to open it up to the infinite wisdom of this forum.. Any advice?
Thanks!
Dee
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You'll obviously be confined to resorts which will have plenty of lifts open as early as 10 December - lots won't. Depending on what you mean by "chalets", almost all French resorts open that early will have a massive choice of accommodation, as luxurious and expensive as you want. Your budget will be the limiting factor.

Val Thorens would probably be a good choice! they don't only do cheap apartments. wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@D.annett,
What basis of accommodation? Self-catering/b&b/half board?
Will you require the whole chalet? Does it have to be a chalet?
What would be your total budget?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Honestly, assuming this is a once off or special thing that you've been saving money and time off for, I would do it a totally different way.

At that point in the season there is only one thing that matters: recent snowfall. And you won't know that until 2-3 days before the snowfall. If you pick somewhere in advance you have a serious risk of blowing a lot of time and money on somewhere that ends up with pretty poor skiing - and picking somewhere 'high' or a glacier or 'snow sure' or whatever really doesn't mitigate that risk much.

Honestly, just pick a nice hotel each week in a resort where you know it's either snowing or recently has or soon will. That's really the only way to give yourself good chance of good skiing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ditch France. Find a nice apartment in Selva / Ortisei in the Dolomites and then you have the choice of eating in or out. The lifts open from c4th December and in 3/4 weeks you'll cover the entire Superski area. I am very jealous btw. Whatever you do, have fun
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy