Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all, another newbie poster here.

We are planning a two week trip to Switzerland on the 21st of Jan. Usually we would take the Channel Tunnel and drive through France and crossing the boarder into Switzerland near Pontarlier. However due to the restrictions currently in place for travelling to France, we are investigating alternative routes. We have many a question.

Our Initial thought is getting the overnight ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland. Then driving through the Netherlands and Germany in a day to cross the Swiss border near Basel. Obviously the Netherlands is in a lockdown and ordinarily would need to quarantine upon arrival - however after doing some research it seems you can be exempt from said quarantine if you are spending less than 12 hours in the Netherlands.

So my questions are as follows:
Has anyone tried this route and if so do you have any tips?
What are the border checks like between A) Germany and the Netherlands and B) Germany and Switzerland?
Lastly, what was the return journey like?
Are PCR tests needed for travel from Switzerland to Germany and then again into the Netherlands?

Happy skiing everyone!

Puzzled snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Evening@wille, It's your lucky day. On Wed I drove from Rotterdam across Netherlands into Germany. We entered Switzerland at Basel to continue on to Lauterbrunnen.
Passports stamped at customs, Rotterdam. There was no demand for documents or certificates.
We had been tested in Hull which was our point of departure, one assumes that Dutch customs know that all disembarking passengers are therefore clear.
At Basel we drove straight through the border as we had a vignette on the car!
Leaving Netherlands into Germany the frontier consists of a sign saying you are now in Deutschland. We had submitted the Passenger locator form which gives all our details so the authorities will know we are here.
German motorways fantastic, no tolls lightly trafficked.

577 miles 9hrs34mins I strongly recommend the route you will not regret it.

Good luck
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy