Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel Insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone looked at the price of travel insurance recently OMG !!!!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I paid about £60 for an annual policy inc covid cancelation cover from the Post Office. I don't do all the bells and whistles options but has the bare essentials.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My recent renewal quote from Insureandgo was £151. Last year £52. But it was no good anyway because they no longer cover over-65, so I've got a single-trip LV policy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Your concern should not be just price but availability at all of coverage to cover your specific needs following the well publicised (on here at least) withdrawal of some underwriters from the market.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I just paid £108 for an annual policy, Europe inc. wintersports and covid cover. I'm 57.

Can't see what's wrong with that. There were cheaper, but this is with LV.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Renry wrote:
Has anyone looked at the price of travel insurance recently OMG !!!!!

If it's Europe only, under 60 and not including pre-existing medical conditions and 'hazardous sports', and off piste without a guide, then it should be on par with previous years (but add a chunk for real world inflation) and relatively inexpensive. The minute you pass 55-60, add in Worldwide (especially USA and Canada), tell 'em you're on medication for XYZ ailment, up the number of days, add in off piste skiing etc, then you get the more eye-watering numbers.

Everyone should look at getting Austrian Alpine Club anyway, carry GHIC of course, but you still need to run it alongside other travel insurance as it doesn't cover all eventualities.

One thing to think about re insurance prices is just how little of the premium you pay is left to pay claims - 20% goes straight off the top to HMRC in Insurance Premium Tax, then industry average will be that about 50% goes to brokers, other middle (wo)men and in overheads. Then think about the cost of a piste rescue, an MRI, a full blown medical evac with air ambulance etc and you can see why rates have to be what they are and why some companies are such pains to claim against. It's why insuring via your bank or home contents provider can be a good bet because they don't want to hack off a loyal customer by making the claims process a trial.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Annual Multitrip, Worldwide, 31 days wintersports (on piste), late 60's, multiple pre existing conditions, reputable company - £150 p.a for the two of us.

Not bad Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Timc, would you care to share the name of the company?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle wrote:
@Timc, would you care to share the name of the company?

Barclays Travelpack. Add on to current account £12.50 p.m.. Administered by Aviva. Will find out how good they are soon as I have a claim in. Embarassed Only had the insurance 7 months. Embarassed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Timc, thanks
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all, perhaps my issue is ours needs to include winter & USA
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Related to this topic…I happened to buy insurance with a booking for a summer vacation (holiday park in Denmark) that I’ve done countless times (even used the insurance once) and had inadvertently somehow added it onto my next booking twice.

So…on wanting to cancel, I phoned up & I found that non-EU/EEA residents weren’t covered by the policy.

I checked the small print - indeed the policy excluded non-EU/EEA. Turns out when I’d claimed at that point Uk was still “in”.

Lesson learned: I now check that any “local” insurance provided also covers non-EU residents.

Thought I’d pass on.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have Barclays travel pack .I don't think it is available for new customers. from how I read the detail changes this year. It doesn't cover glacier skiing but does give you RAC cover If you have a joint account it covers both account holders.Never made a claim as all holiday plans have gone down the pan(demic). Might still be available or something else from Barclays Lady at the bank said not had anyone had trouble over existing conditions
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Last time I went skiing, I accidentally had 2 policies by mistake Embarassed

My annual LV one, and a single trip with, err, the ski club of Great Britain TM.

I cancelled my annual cover at the end of 2020 and I've just got a new quote from LV which is actually £2 cheaper than my 2020 cover!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mine gets complicated because it starts mid season (Jan). My current policy expires the day after I arrive in Alleghe. might get complicated if I change. I'm covered for cancellation, and travel there on 1 policy. If I change Companies mid way through a holiday can it cause problems?

Not supposed to have more than 1 policy for the same cover. If I start a new one to cover the outbound, will be doubly insured if my luggage goes missing. Puzzled

Any suggestions??
snow report
@brianatab, Contact current provider and ask them! Probably easiest to extend current policy or take out a new one with the same company.
latest report
brianatab wrote:
Mine gets complicated because it starts mid season (Jan). My current policy expires the day after I arrive in Alleghe. might get complicated if I change. I'm covered for cancellation, and travel there on 1 policy. If I change Companies mid way through a holiday can it cause problems?

Not supposed to have more than 1 policy for the same cover. If I start a new one to cover the outbound, will be doubly insured if my luggage goes missing. Puzzled

Any suggestions??

Not sure if it helps, but I've just renewed my insurance with LV and this was one of the first things that they say ISN'T covered

Quote:
Trips which have begun before your policy cover start date
snow report
@brianatab, my understanding is that there is no continuation even through the same provider. In other words if your current annual policy expires before the end of your trip you need to take out a new one that does. I queried this directly with Snowcard once. I think it's dodgy, especially if you are renewing with the same company but I dare say some insurance weasel could give a technical reason why that is.

As a result I am quite careful on when I start an annual policy trying to factor in when will be a dead period on expiry.
ski holidays
I'm looking for a policy right now because my free cancellation option with Booking.com expires on Saturday, at which point, the hotel will take 30% of the cost.

LV states:

What's covered?
If your trip or holiday has to be cancelled because you or a travelling companion are diagnosed with any coronavirus (including COVID-19) or contagious disease and are unable to travel
If your trip or holiday has to be cancelled because you or a travelling companion are ordered by a government or public authority to quarantine based on the suspicion that you specifically have been exposed to any coronavirus (including COVID-19) or contagious disease

Examples of what's not covered...
Trip costs if your trip or holiday is cancelled by your airline or travel provider because the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) has imposed travel restrictions due to any coronavirus (including COVID-19) or contagious disease, either in the UK or at your destination
Costs because you decided to cancel your trip or holiday if you don’t want to travel due to any coronavirus (including COVID-19) or contagious disease
Costs because the FCDO or public authorities have imposed travel restrictions or a lockdown

So if the government imposes a restriction on Austria, we would lose the money.

Any other policies cover cancellation as a result of a ban on travel?

Thanks
Simon
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy