Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So it begins - First patrol Job

Poster: A snowHead
A week ago I accepted a job offer at La Romme (Nancy sur cluses).

As luck would have it, within hours I got job interviews with larger and nearer (to me) resorts. But I didn't take any of them up - all were due to the covid/political situation vs older senior patrolers/ van dwelling hippys.

Officially I am a Patroler, but in reality I am also a lifty, trail crew and mantainance. My boss the opertations manager also does all the same jobs as me + he gets the stress of being in charge.

We have 5 drag lifts and 400m of vertical to look after + sledging/tubing and x country area.

I do not expect to meet any non french clients!.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Excellent work, hope you enjoy the coming season.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Idris, great news I look forward to your posts about your season.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Idris, top stuff, have a great season.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Idris, is that the area you can see up on the right, from the A40? I often noticed "something" which looked like it might be a ski area up there. Will you commute daily?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have a great season
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Idris, sounds fun. I had to google to find out where it was, but not so far for you. No doubt there will be a small close-knit team of staff. Presumably the clientele are mostly French families with beginner kids and "in the know" plus the local youngsters practising their race skills. And maybe the odd Brit on a mission to tick off every ski resort in the Alps.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have a great season
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Idris,
great stuff - bet it will give you some fun memories
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is this where the Chartreuse is made?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
12€ a day lift pass Very Happy

https://www.savoie-mont-blanc.com/en/offre/fiche/romme-nancy-sur-cluses/79455

Looks very similar style to Col d'Ornon. Had some great days there. I love those little places.

@Idris, Good luck.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Idris, awesome. I'm pretty sure this is living the dream and you deserve it. It's just a stepping stone to a bigger resort job and in a Covid year you're probably better off in a small resort anyway.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Congratulations.
Your are made to be a pisteur (have followed your adventures online since the days you wrote for natives.co.uk)

Was actually looking for a small family resort near Sallanches - have spare day in Jan wink
So may take the kids for a shred. Romme (Nancy-sur-Cluses) looks great for a family ski.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 26-11-21 23:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Congrats. And keep posting updates. Please!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well done mate, love to see people living their dreams!
latest report
Congrats - I really enjoy your updates and hope you’ll keep them coming.

Interesting to learn about Romme. We’re looking for a short afternoon warm up location mid Dec near Sallanches, so might pop in on the way past.
snow conditions
Please keep us updated. Fascinating.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
@Idris, is that the area you can see up on the right, from the A40? I often noticed "something" which looked like it might be a ski area up there. Will you commute daily?

I don't think so, I think you are looking at Mont Sassonex - you can see it above Bonnevile, if not then you are looking at part of Les Carroz, which often looks like its floating in the ski when the nghtskiing lights are on.

Yes I will commute 45/1hr daily.....they did offer free accomadation!
snow conditions
mooney058 wrote:
Is this where the Chartreuse is made?

Just down the hill in le Reposoir.
ski holidays
Raceplate wrote:
@Idris, awesome. I'm pretty sure this is living the dream and you deserve it. It's just a stepping stone to a bigger resort job and in a Covid year you're probably better off in a small resort anyway.

Thats the plan. Since accepting the job I've had all manner of interview requests and a few straight up job offers other resorts. BUT all of the positions that have become available are for messy political (covid) resaons, so I'm glad not to be part of that.
snow report
It will be funny if the resort noticed this winter there is a small stream of UK guests coming to have a look of the place and to say hello to one of the ski patrollers.

Would I have driven through this place as a detour when Gorge d'Arly has been closed?
snow report
Idris, Congrats, on the position, looks and sounds like a great place to be.

Keep the post coming as it will be interesting to hear of your exploits Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@Idris, Congratulations!! Well done. Romme is lovely (I have skinned up from there a few times with @zzz). Is there really a restaurant in the village?

Top pick!!
ski holidays
Amazing. I hope you have a fantastic season. Sounds like it will be great for gaining a range of experiences too.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Would I have driven through this place as a detour when Gorge d'Arly has been closed?

No.

You drive past Les Rafforts if you go through Hery-sur-Ugine.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

No.

You drive past Les Rafforts if you go through Hery-sur-Ugine.
Thanks, that rings a bell. Only once have I been diverted and it was a bit of a mystery tour for me.
latest report
I love that little ski resort - congrats @Idris!
snow report
I wanted to add that driving there was not easy, but then remembered I drove to Solaison last Sunday (from Bonneville), and that's before the new snow...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
j b wrote:
And maybe the odd Brit on a mission to tick off every ski resort in the Alps.

New mission for the snowheads;

Produce the necessary resort checklist Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

(challenge two is can snowheads as a collective check off every resort in a year (Also for bonus points, every lift/run), Then we can work on individual members checking them off)
latest report
Quote:
We have 5 drag lifts and 400m of vertical to look after + sledging/tubing and x country area.
I do not expect to meet any non french clients!
That'll be right! Loads of UK skiers won't get out of bed for less than 250km of piste served by heated six packs wink Not me and Mrs MA though - we love ski areas like that. Sounds great Very Happy
snow report
Quote:
And maybe the odd Brit on a mission to tick off every ski resort in the Alps.
I've kept a list of all I've skied - but do sometimes struggle to define what counts as a 'resort' where there are different areas on a lift pass - eg do the various bits of Courchevel count as more than one? Or are a number of 'resorts' like that counted as one as they are on the same lift pass? Can't remember what I've recorded for that... Puzzled
snow report
@Idris, would you be posting with daily/weekly observations from your new experience? A photo or two would not hurt either snowHead
snow conditions
mooney058 wrote:
@Idris, would you be posting with daily/weekly observations from your new experience? A photo or two would not hurt either snowHead

Yes I will, but not starting till the 17th
snow report
@Idris, I love that area. Shhh.

Haven't been to Nancy sur Cluses in winter (Probably worth a day and the main run looks like a blast) but that area between Cluses/Annecy/Megeve/St. Gervais is beautiful in summer. If you're a cyclist Col de Romme and Plateau de Glieres (recently added to TdF in 2 editions) are must-dos.
snow conditions
Idris wrote:
mooney058 wrote:

Yes I will, but not starting till the 17th

Looking forward to hearing of your experiences (even if it grates not being able to ski myself).
snow conditions
First day at work small crew who run lift ops patrol etc. Age varies form 20 to 70!
We have 3 Pomma's a rope tow and a Cable/handle tow.

Quite a view from the top

The other main lift isn't to be snifed at either

The boss surprised us with a snack

ski holidays
@Idris, that is an awesome snack...
snow conditions
That tart looks fantastic.
ski holidays
Absolutely brilliant - I hope that you enjoy every single day working there, it looks great and beats the view that 99.99% of us get on a commute!
latest report
I’m happy with my laptop, no daylight and a cup a soup Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy