Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need a rec for snowboarding goggles

Poster: A snowHead
Hey what’s going on everyone, first time posting on this forum. I am an avid snowboarder but have tried many, many, many different pairs of goggles. My main issue is that they fog up terribly even when I buy the “new anti fog technology” or try the YouTube remedies many people have to offer. I think my main problem is that I am an extremely sweaty individual and that moisture just overrides the anti fog mechanisms. Just wondering if anyone has this issue or any good recommendations on goggles to combat this. Thank you in advance Eh oh!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Just wondering if anyone has this issue or any good recommendations on goggles to combat this. Thank you in advance

Nope.
Nope.
You’re welcome Madeye-Smiley

And welcome to snowHead

Take up skiing. One travels much faster on a per calorie burned basis; it’s simply much more efficient*.
More speed = more airflow.
HTH.

(*I may have made that up. Any physics grads in the haus?)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you've got a few pairs lying around, you could try customising some to increase the air flow. Maybe drill some holes in the outside of the frame or in the lenses? Alternatively, try sunglasses.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My main tip is don't take them off. If they are fogged up open them a crack at the bottom while you are going along then put them down again. Don't fiddle with them don't put them into your helmet just stick with it and they will clear.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
buy a helmet with a visor
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Like @pieman666 says, keep them on. If u lift them up onto your hat/helmet in a lift, you're done for.
If you're covering your face with a mask it can be tough to stop the moisture rising up to your goggles when stationary - try actively blowing your breath out through the mask - it's usually fine when moving though.
As irreverent as @AL9000's advice (usually) is, he has a point: the vents on goggles are designed to generate the best airflow moving forwards - sidewaysers are always going to be at a disadvantage.

Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@earlcrewneck, welcome, yeah, don't take them off your face. If you must take them off your face, put them somewhere dry (inside your helmet dry enough, usually). Never, ever put them up on your helmet.

Carry a second pair if your first pair are getting waterlogged.

Don't ride in the rain.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds like the airflow is being restricted so check the vents in the goggle, especially in the top of the frame were air escapes. But good vents in the top of the frame are useless if the brim of your helmet then covers them up. Many helmets now have vents in their leading edge to allow the air from the goggles to continue to pass through.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What Goggles have you tried?

What are the circumstances where they fog up?

Do they clear when on a run?

Can you dress less warmly, with items best known for wicking sweat away and that have venting zips?

BTW. Welcome to snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I used to have fogging issues a LOT, and to double down on the issue I wear goggles over glasses so fogging on fogging.

IMV @spyderjon is quite correct - the key is more about your helmet - when I switched to a POC the issues I'd had all but went away. Currently use POC with Oakley Canopy and it's rare I get an issue unless I've got a fateful of snow or got them wet.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
helmet/hat issues rather than goggles?? lots of helmets have vents to direct the airflow down into the goggle to help clear fog but lots don't ( ive had issues in the past with badly vented helmets) and hats are the worst things on the planet for helping goggles fog up in my experience. Air flow is key.....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@spyderjon and @Richard_Sideways, have it (probably).

Try using helmet and goggles from the same brand, they're designed to go together and the vents will line up.

I've got a Giro Ledge helmet and their Axis goggles which fit together perfectly and I've no fogging issues........ but then my low sweatiness factor probably helps.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you all of you for the responses. This was a huge help and I like all the different points you guys tossed at me. I am going to try buying the helmet/goggles combo as my helmet is junk and after inspection, the lining in my helmet makes it difficult for that air to travel through. Never would have thought of that on my own in a million years to I truly appreciate all of your responses. @al9000 and @admin , I think you guys are on to something, but I can’t give up my precious snowboarding, one of my few joys in life. Going to give this a try next weekend and will keep you all updated but thank you again.

On a separate note, have any of you heard of “cat crap”, a anti fog brand? A few diehards I know at a local ski shop said it flies off the shelves and cures many fogging issues. Might give this a try. I’ll toss the link if any of you have heard of it ( EK USA, Cat Crap, Anti-Fog Lens Cleaner Balm, Safe on All Lenses, Eyeglasses, Goggles, and Camera Lenses - 0.5 Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ONRP8C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Z07WB9VGDA03FQ0VA86X?tag=amz07b-21 ).. never heard of this stuff before
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Old Fartbag wrote:
What Goggles have you tried?

What are the circumstances where they fog up?

Do they clear when on a run?

Can you dress less warmly, with items best known for wicking sweat away and that have venting zips?

BTW. Welcome to snowHead

Recently I’ve been running the Smith Mag squad or the Anon m3

They mostly fog up in between runs and clear up about 10 minutes into a run.. my issue is as I continue to go on runs, I get sweaty as heck and this only adds to the problem. They do eventually clear up later into that run but the problem reoccurs once it’s over :/

I’m going to try dressing in some lighter clothing.. usually I shed off layers but I might invest in some more proper clothing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I like all the different points you guys tossed at me

Some of us on here are experts at that, apparently Madeye-Smiley

Do keep us updated. I recommend starting off on race GS skis Laughing
snow report
Quote:

I might invest in some more proper clothing

Always a good idea.
snow conditions
If you take up skiing, might as well just wear a paper bag over your head so nobody recognises you.

Definitely worth a try for same brand of helmet and goggs. I use Oakley for both and they have interchangeable brims on the helmet for different goggle models.

I often get nightmare fogging on heli/bc days, usually from working hard and face planting. I carry a spare pair and sometimes a couple of extra lenses as well. Makes all the difference. Never stick them up on your head either.
latest report
hang11 wrote:
If you take up skiing, might as well just wear a paper bag over your head so nobody recognises you.

Definitely worth a try for same brand of helmet and goggs. I use Oakley for both and they have interchangeable brims on the helmet for different goggle models.

I often get nightmare fogging on heli/bc days, usually from working hard and face planting. I carry a spare pair and sometimes a couple of extra lenses as well. Makes all the difference. Never stick them up on your head either.

Hahahahahaha love the response. Do you think just a average brown paper bag with some eye hole cut out would suffice to hide my identity while skiing?

And with oakley, do you recommend a specific model to run? Might make a last minute purchase
latest report
@earlcrewneck, I'm an "Oakley Man" and love the Flight Deck - which comes in 2 sizes. Never had fogging problems, but don't get overly sweaty.

I also like the Prizm lenses: Prizm Rose for lower/flat light, that is usable when the sun comes out; or Prizm Jade/Sapphire/Torch, which are for brighter weather and still good in flat light.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 31-12-21 13:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I think all higher end Oakley goggles are ok. The helmet I have is an Oakley mod 5, and that comes with a couple of different brims and the instructions say what brim matches what Oakley goggle.

Also, if you go Oakley, probably not a good idea to use anything on the inside lens to stop fogging / already has a treatment which is fragile, I’ve stuffed lenses before by just wiping the inside with my fingers. Use the bag to wipe and dry them.
snow report
And if you do take up skiing, probably best to go for a paper bag that’s really bright, with contrasting handles, and massive Mickey Mouse ears on it. You’ll fit right in Eh oh!
ski holidays
hang11 wrote:

Also, if you go Oakley, probably not a good idea to use anything on the inside lens to stop fogging / already has a treatment which is fragile, I’ve stuffed lenses before by just wiping the inside with my fingers. Use the bag to wipe and dry them.

Absolutely this.

To OP: Try not to wipe the inside of the Goggles, as the coating is fragile. If possible, dry under a hand dryer in restaurant (if still operational). If stuck...dab off moisture with Goggle Bag.

Edit: Just come across these, which should sort your fogging problem: https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/snow-sports/ski-goggles/julbo-aerospace
ski holidays
@old_fartbag and @hang11 .. thanks for the recs.. I’m going to give that more 5 helmet and Oakley flight deck a try.. I appreciate you guys for all of the help and humor.

And that’s good to know about not adding/wiping the goggles, going to try and keep them in the form they come in, never even thought about that.

And to everyone that responded, thanks for makin me feel welcome with all of the well thought responses and humor. It is truly appreciated. Hope all of you have a good new year.
ski holidays
@earlcrewneck, You too and you’re welcome.

For your next purchase, try matching white Head boots & Titan skis….if you think you’re up for the speed.

You can thank me later Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@earlcrewneck, Having just looked at recent reviews - the Flight Deck may not be the best for ventilation....you might be better with Airbrake XL.
snow conditions
If you are getting both helmet & goggles, then worth looking at visors.
The Head Radar is very nice without looking like a visor.

http://youtube.com/v/Dgsp7P5Ds6Q
latest report
@earlcrewneck, one other idea that hasn't been mentioned so far - wear at least one layer less and use all your ventilation options on your outer jacket! It's ok to be slightly chilly when starting out in the morning but a reasonable temperature when exercising on the snow (maybe carry an additional insulation layer in a small rucksack when out). Many people naturally layer clothing as though they are going for a slow walk to the shops, but should perhaps be layering for a fast run! I too run hot and found that a helmet with good ventilation slots above the goggles plus less clothing (staying dryer and therefore comfortable) helped massively.

There are a few tips from a snowboarder here
http://youtube.com/v/87eEXB5r5-Y&t=3s
snow report
oui4ski wrote:
@earlcrewneck, one other idea that hasn't been mentioned so far - wear at least one layer less and use all your ventilation options on your outer jacket!

It has been mentioned...but worth highlighting again.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any goggles will have problems if you're regularly filling them with snow or sweat.

People who fall over would probably want to take two pairs of goggles.
You can dry them quickest under the bathroom hand-driers.
As stated, you don't want to be putting stuff on the outside or the inside surface of them: read the instructions!
If you do wipe them, then take a lot of care with that.

You can also get fan-assisted goggles although experts mostly don't use them (they make an annoying sound and aren't needed).

A lot of people will take their goggles off, which as stated is asking for trouble. Get some you're comfortable with and forget about them.
snow report
philwig wrote:

You can also get fan-assisted goggles although experts mostly don't use them (they make an annoying sound and aren't needed).

The Julbo Aerospace Goggles I linked to above are an interesting design, where the lens can pull out 1 cm from the frame....this should give better ventilation than anything on the market that doesn't have a fan.
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
oui4ski wrote:
@earlcrewneck, one other idea that hasn't been mentioned so far - wear at least one layer less and use all your ventilation options on your outer jacket!

Embarassed Apologies - I had missed that!
ski holidays
oui4ski wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
oui4ski wrote:

Embarassed Apologies - I had missed that!

It's better said twice, than not at all.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy